FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Stock 6-indash
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
are there audio inputs on the back or anything? (I really doubt there are)
Im sitting looking at mine and there is no such thing? Time for aftermarket :)

David
The stock 6-disk isn't an MP3 player is it?
And will this wire into a car that didn't come with a 6 disk player?
it will go into any focus, and they did make an mp3 version on later models i believe.
Mine's not an mp3 player no, it wont even read re-writables...

but yeah, if I buy a Focus, I think I'm going to build an mITX PC (small VIA based things), with one of the 20 or 40 gig laptop harddrives I have laying around.

I hate MP3s, so I'd use all FLAC files, lossless :)

But I think at that point I'll have to get a screen etc... could get costly....

Edit: That should probably read "If I buy a car" lol...
Aka,Jul 15 2005, 01:28 PM Wrote:Mine's not an mp3 player no, it wont even read re-writables...

but yeah, if I buy a Focus, I think I'm going to build an mITX PC (small VIA based things), with one of the 20 or 40 gig laptop harddrives I have laying around.

I hate MP3s, so I'd use all FLAC files, lossless :)

But I think at that point I'll have to get a screen etc... could get costly....

Edit: That should probably read "If I buy a car" lol...
[right][snapback]122644[/snapback][/right]

Y'know I like that you're thinking in terms of lossless compression when it comes to playing the music in your car and all, but I have to wonder if the end result would justify the expense?

Even with an upgrade of the speakers & an amp/subwoofer, a car is still the worst place accoustically speaking to listen to music. I have the '05 cd/mp3 player and I'll let you listen to the same track, once as an mp3 and once from the original CD while we're driving and I defy you to tell me the difference.

NefCanuck
I can tell the difference. Using the stock stereo even.

Burn a CD with FLAC songs, and MP3 songs, I could point out the MP3s immediately. Though I have a hardtime with 320 kbps in any environment. But all my music is lossless anyway, all in FLAC, so in the end it'd just be easier for me to transport music, no re-encoding.

But yes, realistically, I could probably deal with 192 VBR in the car.
Aka,Jul 15 2005, 02:34 PM Wrote:I can tell the difference. Using the stock stereo even.

Burn a CD with FLAC songs, and MP3 songs, I could point out the MP3s immediately. Though I have a hardtime with 320 kbps in any environment. But all my music is lossless anyway, all in FLAC, so in the end it'd just be easier for me to transport music, no re-encoding.

But yes, realistically, I could probably deal with 192 VBR in the car.
[right][snapback]122708[/snapback][/right]

Heh, I've only ever burned 128 CBR's for the Ford, don't know what specs it can take, but shooting for lowest common denominator seemed a safe bet :P

Actually I think one of the mp3's I tried to burn & play was 320, the Ford CD player tried but failed to play it...

NefCanuck
If it failed it's not spec. MP3 supports like 32-320 CBR, if it can't play any of those, combinations it's not spec. Perhaps it was a VBR file, it's not always supported.

Also, 128 sounds like complete ass anywhere, I can pick those out so fast, doesnt' matter where I listen. CD quality my ass.
Aka,Jul 15 2005, 02:46 PM Wrote:If it failed it's not spec. MP3 supports like 32-320 CBR, if it can't play any of those, combinations it's not spec. Perhaps it was a VBR file, it's not always supported.

Also, 128 sounds like complete ass anywhere, I can pick those out so fast, doesnt' matter where I listen. CD quality my ass.
[right][snapback]122716[/snapback][/right]

Weird cause Windows Media Player plays the file, hell MusicMatch jukebox plays the file... I'll see if it is a VBR file (I have the software I need to make it a WAV file & recompress it if I really want the file for the car.... It's just the Teen Titans OP in Japanese anyways...)

Now I'm curious to try re-ripping a few of my CD's at 320 CBR just to see for myself if I can tell the difference...

NefCanuck
:) If you have half decent ears, you should be able to spot it immediately.

Compare 128 to 192, and then 128 to 320... it's like you're listening to a different song.

The generally accepted best medium is 192 VBR, you have enough quality to be more or less happy with the sound, and enough compression to fit alot in a small space.

Also, sometimes files get improperly written internals or whatever, and for example, the file might be labelled 320 CBR, but is really 192 VBR, the player in the car might not be as tolerant of problems like this as WMP, or Winamp.

Also, the best encoder for MP3 is LAME. It excells really well in the 192 VBR encodes. Though admittedly, my ears don't hear a difference to a 192 VBR by winamp or whatever to a 192 VBR by LAME. I just don't have the equipement, and at that point don't really care.

The thing I hate most though, is people who take their MP3s then encode them as FLAC and claim they're lossless.

Anyway... enough audiophile crapness from me...