FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: So... Who Wants To Mod One Of These?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's coming, you know it is!

http://ecoped.ca/

Saw 3 last night at our local Walmart. 500W motor and headlights/taillights... not bad! It even comes with lockable storage.

Laugh all you want, but given the fact most of my driving is city driving, I'm seriously considering getting one of these for going to work and back (~5KMs). It would be perfect on days where I just don't have it in me to pedal in.

I've got a CCM Hooligan dual-susp 21-speed mountain bike right now, but I wanted something with some storage and a bit more range for long trips across town and down into the surrounding areas connected by our bike path system (Callander, etc).

Plus, it's an e-bike, so it's allowed wherever normal bikes are allowed.
NOS2Go4Me,May 22 2009, 09:06 AM Wrote:It's coming, you know it is!

Laugh all you want[right][snapback]287768[/snapback][/right]
Done
North Bay is considered a city?
meford4u,May 22 2009, 10:17 AM Wrote:

Done
[right][snapback]287771[/snapback][/right]

Maybe Ford can start an e-bike arm, kinda like how Suzuki does bikes AND cars?

Electric motorcycles?

The possibilities are endless.

Besides, I still own a Ford :)

EDIT - yes, NB is a city. Small, but spread out nicely and not a lot of hi-density clusterf***ing going on like the bigger places that treat people more like cattle than citizens. We can largely walk around at night without fear, etc. :)

It's a nice place to live/visit. Come by some time, we'll do some sport fishing or off-roading. :)
My parents are about an hour south of there in Kearney. They have a big place on a lake, ATV's, Snowmobiles, Pontoon Boat, Hot Tub, etc. I should come up one day in the Summer and check it out. NM I am staying at the lake and drinking beer.
Very nice, but it needs a drop and a tint...............oh wait, never mind. Does it come with snow tires?
You need to get laid.
My Ex has one and my friend rode it, he says it's pretty cool.
Information is not correct on these!

To operate these vehicles on a roadway:
the driver must hold a restricted class M licence for limited-speed motorcycles and mopeds (Class M2 with L condition or M with L condition or a valid motorcycle licence (Class M1, M2 or M);
the vehicle must be insured, registered and have a valid LSM licence plate; and
the operator must wear an approved motorcycle helmet.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/lsm.shtml
NOS2Go4Me,May 22 2009, 02:22 PM Wrote:
meford4u,May 22 2009, 10:17 AM Wrote:

Done
[right][snapback]287771[/snapback][/right]

Maybe Ford can start an e-bike arm, kinda like how Suzuki does bikes AND cars?

Electric motorcycles?

The possibilities are endless.

Besides, I still own a Ford :)

EDIT - yes, NB is a city. Small, but spread out nicely and not a lot of hi-density clusterf***ing going on like the bigger places that treat people more like cattle than citizens. We can largely walk around at night without fear, etc. :)

It's a nice place to live/visit. Come by some time, we'll do some sport fishing or off-roading. :)
[right][snapback]287775[/snapback][/right]

I was just there this past week. Drove to Timmins so i had to drive thur North bay.
mo_focus,May 22 2009, 04:48 PM Wrote:Information is not correct on these!

the driver must hold a restricted class M licence for limited-speed motorcycles and mopeds (Class M2 with L condition or M with L condition or a valid motorcycle licence (Class M1, M2 or M);

[right][snapback]287825[/snapback][/right]

I dunno Mo - the motor is at the max limit (500W) and cannot propel the vehicle more than 30 KM/H on electrics alone. Also, the pedals work and it's a single-rider vehicle (ala bicycle).
The Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations state:
from
http://www.tc.gc.ca/acts-regulations/regul...anchorbo-ga:s_2

"power-assisted bicycle" means a vehicle that:

(a) has steering handlebars and is equipped with pedals,

(b) is designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground,

© is capable of being propelled by muscular power,

(d) has one or more electric motors that have, singly or in combination, the following characteristics:

(i) it has a total continuous power output rating, measured at the shaft of each motor, of 500 W or less,

(ii) if it is engaged by the use of muscular power, power assistance immediately ceases when the muscular power ceases,

(iii) if it is engaged by the use of an accelerator controller, power assistance immediately ceases when the brakes are applied, and

(iv) it is incapable of providing further assistance when the bicycle attains a speed of 32 km/h on level ground,

(e) bears a label that is permanently affixed by the manufacturer and appears in a conspicuous location stating, in both official languages, that the vehicle is a power-assisted bicycle as defined in this subsection, and

(f) has one of the following safety features,

(i) an enabling mechanism to turn the electric motor on and off that is separate from the accelerator controller and fitted in such a manner that it is operable by the driver, or

(ii) a mechanism that prevents the motor from being engaged before the bicycle attains a speed of 3 km/h; ( bicyclette assistée )
NOS2Go4Me,May 22 2009, 08:58 PM Wrote:
mo_focus,May 22 2009, 04:48 PM Wrote:Information is not correct on these!

[right][snapback]287825[/snapback][/right]

I dunno Mo - the motor is at the max limit (500W) and cannot propel the vehicle more than 30 KM/H on electrics alone. Also, the pedals work and it's a single-rider vehicle (ala bicycle).
[right][snapback]287828[/snapback][/right]

My bad. YOu are correct. There is a new pilot program for 3 yrs for these bikes. At the end of this year they will vote to see what the faith of these bikes would be. For now you will be able to ride these on all ontario roads where bikes are allowed without a licence as long as rider is 16 and older.

Power-Assisted/Electric Bicycles
Can be operated on roads in Ontario
Sample label
THIS VEHICLE IS A POWER
ASSISTED BICYCLE AND
MEETS ALL THE
REQUIREMENTS UNDER
SECTION 2(1) OF THE
CANADA MOTOR VEHICLE
SAFETY REGULATIONS.

CE VÉHICULE EST UNE BICYCLETTE
ASSISTÉE ET RECONTRE LA NORME 2(1)
DU RÈGLEMENT SUR LA SÉCURITÉ
DES VÉHICULES AUTOMOBILES DU CANADA.Effective October 3, 2006, the Province of Ontario began a three-year pilot project to evaluate the use of power-assisted bicycles (also known as electric bikes or e-bikes) on roads and highways where conventional bicycles are currently allowed. The pilot is open to all Ontarians 16 years of age and older and will run for three years. For the duration of the pilot, electric bicycles will be treated as bicycles and must follow the same rules of the road as set out in the Highway Traffic Act that currently apply to cyclists.

There are two exceptions:

Operators must be 16 years of age or older, and
All operators must wear an approved bicycle helmet at all times.
During the pilot:
No driver's licence is required,
No written test is required,
No vehicle registration or plate required,
No requirement for motor vehicle liability insurance.
An e-bike is a bike that:
has steering handlebars and is equipped with pedals;
is designed to be propelled primarily by muscular power and to travel on not more than three wheels;
has a motor that has a power output rating of 500W or less. (Note: the motor is electric, and is incapable of propelling the cycle at speed of 32km/h or greater on level ground, without pedaling.) and
bears a permanently affixed label by the manufacturer stating in both official languages that the vehicle conforms to the federal definition of a power-assisted bicycle.
The power-assisted bicycle pilot is authorized by Ontario Regulation 473/06. In this regulation, the legal definition of an e-bike refers to the federal definition of a power-assisted bicycle. For the full definition, please see subsection 2(1) of the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

Note: A commitment has been made to evaluate the pilot prior to its three-year expiry. The intent of the ministry's pilot was to allow e-bikes that look and operate like conventional bikes in order to promote a safe, healthy and environmentally friendly alternative to current transportation modes.

The ministry has become aware of scooter-style vehicles that technically meet the pilot's e-bike definition, but not the intent, as they are not primarily operated by muscular power due to their heavy weight. Therefore, in addition to evaluating how safely the e-bike can integrate with other motor vehicles, bicycles and pedestrians, the emergence of the scooter-style e-bikes requires the ministry to also assess if the pilot's original intent continues to be appropriate. The ministry may clarify its position on the original intent of the pilot when final legislation is drafted.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/veh...emerging/#power
Nice paste-in :)

Personally my belief is that if it's a "bike" and the pedals are a last line of defence but operationally it's the same (brakes, etc)... who cares? If I can get 50-60Kms on a charge, take it to work, make a statement and maybe inspire others - why not?

FWIW, I'm thinking of getting my M1/M2 this summer anyways. :)

If I do end up getting something like this, I'll let you guys know.

I think it would do and look great parked next to a 2010 Escape or Fusion Hybrid :D
hmmm.. only a 500 watt motor? that's not even 1 horsepower according to google...

Quote:1 horsepower = 745.699872 watts

sure it's fairly cheap, but they're using OLD tech...

you can buy a 4HP brushless electric motor for an R/C helicopter for $200 (90%+ efficient), an ESC for it for about $150, and a couple lithium ion batteries for a half hour charge for $300 plus a charger $150 .. a little more expensive, but you'd have an electric bike capable of faster speeds, better efficiency, more cargo, with a lighter weight, shorter charge time (15 minutes with a peak charger with cell balancing)..

Why manufacturers don't take a cue from the R/C world and build more efficient electric engines boggles my mind.
^^ The wattage limit is imposed by the gov't. Lead acids are used due to the fact they take partial charges nicely without developing memory. Li-Ion would be nice, but they're way more expensive when compared side by side for capacity.

Check Youtube... these things have no problem moving about. :)

Otherwise, you're exactly right. I'd love to chain a bunch of packs together that make the required voltage and get stupid range for the same price.