FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ttc Sucks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Why can't they be like Mississauga Transit? You get a transfer that's good for 2 hours and you can go wherever your heart desires. You can even transfer to a Brampton bus for like 50 cents.

However with the TTC, you can't use transfers for s**t. Except at transfer points. And if there isn't one, you have to pay again. Or if you get on a bus, then get off to do something, then want to get back on, you have to pay again.

It's bullshit. Because of that it costs me more to ride the bus to work, than it does to pay for gas.
try to get somewhere in london via bus... you'll never complain about another transit system again
Oh yes I will, because I like to complain. But really, what's up with the London transit? never been on it myself.
and then you go and ride vancouver transit and realize just how a transit system is supposed to be run.
darkpuppet,Jul 13 2005, 02:53 PM Wrote:and then you go and ride vancouver transit and realize just how a transit system is supposed to be run.
[right][snapback]121839[/snapback][/right]

Ain't it the truth!
And how is it run?
Try the Transit system in Montreal it's fast and efficient something the TTC in it's current form will never be. Whenever I go to Montreal I get a Hotel downtown and park the car for the week and take public transit for the time I'm there. I keep hearing from Howard Moscoe that the TTC is one of the best transit systems in the world obviously he hasn't been to Montreal, London, Paris or even Lisbon in the last 15 years those systems work like a fine Swiss watch unlike the TTC wich works like a made in Taiwan Rolex it thinks it's the best but sooner or later it starts to keep time slower and slower.

Laterz :)
Transfers for the TTC are good for 45 mins if i remember ..

Ive gone to eat before and came back to use them with no problem.
There's too many rules with the TTC. If you go one way you can't go back the other, if you're not a transfer point you can't use a transfer. If the time has expired you can't use your transfer. You can't get off the bus, then catch the next one with your transfer because that's a stop and go, as well as no transfer point.

And that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Basically the transfer is only good if you're getting off one bus and onto another at a transfer point. Which would be like Royal York and Queensway or someshit. Except of course if you've gone east on the streetcar then north on royal york, then tried to go west on the queensway, because your transfer isn't valid for that.
vancouver transit uses encoded passes, you figure out where you want to go (3 fare zones), pay your fare and get a transfer or you get a pass. You just zip it in the slot on the bus, ferry, skytrain, and if the card is good, you can keep going.. the passes are good for 1.5hours, and it's unlimited travel during that time within the fare zones you paid for.

zone 1 is $1
zone 2 is $2
zone 3 is $3

zone 2 allows you to travel in zone 1 and zone 2
zone 3 allows you to travel in zones 1, 2 and 3.

and not to mention that the passes cover an area that seems larger than toronto (vancouver, north vancouver, burnaby mt, etc).

oh, and did I mention that the buses have bike racks?

we'd pay our $2 and shuttle bikes to the top of burnaby (SFU), and bomb down, with enough time for about 4 runs on a single pass.

(toronto is currently doing a pilot program, and I've seen a bus on bathurst with the bike rack, but no bikes).. it's much harder to find a bus in vancouver without a bike on it.
Nice!

I wanted to move to Vancouver at some point... wonder if that'll ever happen.
if you use the TTC *that* much...buy a freakin' Metropass.

end of drama ;)
Aka,Jul 13 2005, 02:43 PM Wrote:Why can't they be like Mississauga Transit? You get a transfer that's good for 2 hours and you can go wherever your heart desires. You can even transfer to a Brampton bus for like 50 cents.

However with the TTC, you can't use transfers for s**t. Except at transfer points. And if there isn't one, you have to pay again. Or if you get on a bus, then get off to do something, then want to get back on, you have to pay again.

It's bullshit. Because of that it costs me more to ride the bus to work, than it does to pay for gas.
[right][snapback]121831[/snapback][/right]

The problem is that the TTC realizes that unless they put some limits in, you could potentially ride the system the entire day (It's still possible, but you have to grab your transfers whenever you can and ride routes in certin ways)

The TTC is too chicken to implement a zone system like Vancouver because of percieved backlash, but I think it is the way to go. Mississauga knows they can't do anything like that because it takes forever to get *anywhere* on their transit system <_<

As to your problem, I think a Metropass would be just what the doctor ordered when all is said & done.

NefCanuck
the TTC already has what amounts to multi-zone.. with extra fare buses and all that, and soon they're going to implement a rate card that you basically fill with credits and swipe as required.

The vancouver system is an amazing system, but would take a lot of retrofitting to get into T.O... the TTC is continually looking for ways to make money, so I doubt they'd do something that would make it TOO easy on riders.

But even despite that, the frequency of buses and whatnot is great... the TTC isn't all that bad if you're just travelling in one direction and ask the drivers for help.
Marction,Jul 14 2005, 12:56 AM Wrote:if you use the TTC *that* much...buy a freakin' Metropass.

end of drama ;)
[right][snapback]122002[/snapback][/right]

good call, what are they like 100 bucks...if your spending more then $3 day, get the pass, and your good
I ride it one way every day. A Metropass costs twice as much as paying my way. So it doesn't make sense.

$4.75 a day, because I ride both TTC and Mississauga. So I'd have to buy two passes, which makes no sense at all and would cost me way too much.

So I'll deal with it this way until I get a car.
The TTC Transfers is messed up. but.. if you know the system inside out *Cough* Dan *Cough* , you can find many loopholes in the system. On the subway, you need a transfer at any of the stations marked with a T, but the other stations, which dont have a T, you can transfer to a Bus directly from the subway exit without paying fare. A lot of people have found ways to catch another bus, keep the same transfer, and get re-entry back into the subway. I've had free Re-entry into Subways and busses many times, A lot of the TTC drivers will allow you as long as u give them a valid reason to and you look like your not trying to fraud them.
I used to ride the Mississauga transit when I was in highschool, it was so easy back then to make fake Weekly passes. but too bad they cracked down on it. TTC also has daily passes, so u can get unlimited riding of the TTC for like $7, ya I know the TTC is expensive as s**t, but you might as well make the most out of it if ur gonna pay up the A$$ to use it
You know whats funny is you get around Van faster by transit then by your own car...the opposite is true for the rest of the cities ive been in.
I could ride my bike to work quicker than the bus.

Infact, I used to do just that. When I was at Sheridan college, I'd ride to work, 8 miles, 20 minutes or something. Bus took 1.5 hours cuz it went all the way around.

However it's so damn hot now... I just can't do it... and it's quite a few miles more now. Plus now I can't wear shitty clothes to work cuz I work during the day shift.
Pages: 1 2