FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Causes For Intermittent Speedometer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been living with an intermittent speedometer for a few months now, but I'm getting ready to sell my Focus wagon, so now I have to deal with. My guess is that the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) or it's associated wire are faulty. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this issue and/or what parts I should get would be appreciated.

TIA,

Ivan MacKenzie.
Are you have any other dashboard/electrical gremlins along with this screwy speedo?

Might be in the electrical system as well (start with the battery and work backwards) :unsure:

NefCanuck
If you have a tach you can buy my cluster and swap it out.
imack,Mar 29 2010, 11:19 AM Wrote:I've been living with an intermittent speedometer for a few months now, but I'm getting ready to sell my Focus wagon, so now I have to deal with.  My guess is that the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) or it's associated wire are faulty.  Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this issue and/or what parts I should get would be appreciated.

TIA,

Ivan MacKenzie.
[right][snapback]304098[/snapback][/right]
You sure it isn't just some sort of tremor in your throttle leg?
ZTWsquared,Mar 29 2010, 03:21 PM Wrote:
imack,Mar 29 2010, 11:19 AM Wrote:I've been living with an intermittent speedometer for a few months now, but I'm getting ready to sell my Focus wagon, so now I have to deal with.  My guess is that the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) or it's associated wire are faulty.  Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this issue and/or what parts I should get would be appreciated.

TIA,

Ivan MacKenzie.
[right][snapback]304098[/snapback][/right]
You sure it isn't just some sort of tremor in your throttle leg?
[right][snapback]304112[/snapback][/right]

When I first read the thread title I read "Causes For Intermittent Speeding", then I thought to myself "I have that problem" :lol:
I would start with the speed sensor if it is cheap enough and that the speedo is your only problem.
@NefCanuck: Just the speedo, nothing else. Very often it will be fine for the first few km's, then drop to zero for a while, only to come back to normal several minutes later. If the "dead time" is long enough, the odo will go flat line (display all dashes) and/or the CEL will come on. After a four or five "non dead" cycles, the CEL will go off again.

@ZTWsquared: No, no early onset Alzheimer's or ALS here. :P

Ivan MacKenzie.
Mystake,Mar 29 2010, 05:19 PM Wrote:When I first read the thread title I read "Causes For Intermittent Speeding", then I thought to myself "I have that problem"  :lol:
[right][snapback]304114[/snapback][/right]

No really? 160km/h (+/-) back from the last meet we attended, i think you will end up with a bigger problem LOL

iMack - have you read the code with an OBDII reader? or just let it reset on it's own? it could still be an issue once the CEL goes out
SL8RZZX3,Mar 29 2010, 08:23 PM Wrote:iMack - have you read the code with an OBDII reader? or just let it reset on it's own? it could still be an issue once the CEL goes out
[right][snapback]304129[/snapback][/right]
Haven't had a chance to read the code as yet. You're right, I really should do this before proceeding.

Ivan MacKenzie.