FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Return To Space-shuttle 'discovery' To Launch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone else following the 'return to space' flight of Discovery set to launch tomorrow? This is the first manned flight since the Columbia disaster and it'll be cool to see this thing launch...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/space/07/12/s...ttle/index.html
It'll be cooler when I get to goto space actually. But it's nice to have them lauching again.

I like some of their plans like, if there's a problem, throw all the people on the space station, then crash the shuttle into the Indian ocean... great idea, I hope they have 107 cameras for the crash too. Not that I hope it crashes...
you can't really predict a piece of foam falling off and hitting a wing, that was just bad luck, and about as bad of luck as that thing falling off a transport and breaking my windshield, its unfortunate but hey, s**t happens!
And it's luck that that thing that fell off the F18 or whatever that flew over my apartment at the start of the indy fell into the lake instead of my apartment.
crazikev,Jul 12 2005, 07:13 PM Wrote:you can't really predict a piece of foam falling off and hitting a wing, that was just bad luck, and about as bad of luck as that thing falling off a transport and breaking my windshield, its unfortunate but hey, s**t happens!
[right][snapback]121572[/snapback][/right]

Or predict a ladder coming off a truck... s**t Happens... and then you die ;)

NefCanuck
^^what i was trying to say is that there is an infinite amount of possibilities that can happen to anything and anyone, you can't predict them all, your taking a risk when your sitting on that many gallons of fuel, and then launch yourself at an insane speed to where almost nobody has ever been before except a handfull of people and monkeys. They have a great safety record and columbia was unfortunate
it's not 'gas'... I think "fuel" would be a more correct term. And most of the power comes from the solid boosters IIRC. Which you'd probably measure in mass instead of a liquid measurement.

But I could be wrong...
Looks like it was scrapped due to a faulty sensor. :(