FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Back From Camping Didn’t Get Eaten By A Bear!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

OMG why the F**K did I ever wait so long to do this! I have never had so much fun in my entire life this weekend was amazing! Damn now I know why you guys said it was so much fun I can’t wait to go back and do it again.

A few things I learned though.
1) Put bug spray on your feet if you were wearing shoes and then put on sandals.
2) After drinking for hours stay away from the fire! Uneven ground is a bitch! :lol:
3) Never forget to close the zipper on the tent all the way.
4) Bring more alcohol you will never have enough.
5) When swimming be sure to correctly judge the depth of the water lest you scrub your face off on a sandbar.
6) Marshmallows can burst into flames at any point to be careful before putting one in your mouth.
7) Air mattresses are inherently bouncy making for an extra fun and interesting time.
8) Add some TGI Friday's Mudslide to your morning coffee if you forget to bring cream.
9) It is possible to live without your cell phone and laptop for more than an hour.
10) Beware of Poison Ivy when looking for a place to relieve natures call.

We both had such a good time that we are going camping again in two weeks this time to Tobormory, never been there either but it should be fun to go scuba diving again.
Good stuff...

Makes me wonder why i havent been yet!
scoobasteve,Jul 11 2005, 03:18 PM Wrote:Good stuff...

Makes me wonder why i havent been yet!
[right][snapback]121162[/snapback][/right]

Go I waited 27 years too long, I should have done this years ago!

I hope to go at least 6 or 7 more times before the weather gets too cold this year. Kristin and I had been looking for a way to see more of Ontario and Canada in general without spending too much money and I think we just found it. :)
Camping is sweet. I havent been able to go once this summer yet :(

I ususally go 3-4 times in 1 summer.
Superior national park is beautiful...if you got the time to drie up there!!

Camping is awsome...just wait until you get to the stage where you have to travel 2 days by foot or paddle, to where you want to camp, thats awsome
love your list of new lessons learned, so did the girlfriend, especially number 10 :P , but glad you had fun, i'm hoping to go camping sometime this summer also
FociPhil,Jul 11 2005, 03:54 PM Wrote:Camping is awsome...just wait until you get to the stage where you have to travel 2 days by foot or paddle, to where you want to camp, thats awsome
[right][snapback]121174[/snapback][/right]

That's what Kristin’s friends want to do in August. We were going to go white water rafting on the Ottawa River but they have suggested we go portaging in Algonquin Park for 4 days instead. Personally I would rather save the $600 WWR costs and go to Algonquin but since I’ve never gone in a canoe before I may want to try it before I load all my gear into one.
FociPhil,Jul 11 2005, 04:54 PM Wrote:Camping is awsome...just wait until you get to the stage where you have to travel 2 days by foot or paddle, to where you want to camp, thats awsome
[right][snapback]121174[/snapback][/right]

The only way I camp!! Now this is camping :D
Ive portaged Algonquin for a week ... It was SUPER FUN ...

I would do it over rapids Simon.

*thumbsup at having a good time*
tdot-zx3,Jul 11 2005, 09: Wrote:Ive portaged Algonquin for a week ... It was SUPER FUN ...

I would do it over rapids Simon.

*thumbsup at having a good time*
[right][snapback]121189[/snapback][/right]

same here...uber good times
Book a site for the Focus Canada trip to Bon Echo in August.

It's in the G2G forums.
I go portaging in Alq. every year too. If it's your first trip, just be weary of how long your portages are, get some advice from the park. It is amazing fun, and a decent workout. August is a good time to bring lots of bug spray to Alq. the musquitos are so big they sound like harley's lol

glad you had a great time... catch any fish??
Quote:I hope to go at least 6 or 7 more times before the weather gets too cold this year. Kristin and I had been looking for a way to see more of Ontario and Canada in general without spending too much money and I think we just found it

Tina and I took a trip out to the Maritimes a few years ago. We drove, and camped, and ate out of supermarkets for 10 days, and it cost us $500 for everything, including gas and camping and food.

I used to do a lot of real camping (car camping is not real camping), but haven't in years. :( I don't think Tina is up for it.
Anthony: Wish I could go but August is already full for us 2 weddings her sisters 30th birthday and the WWR weekend will leave me no time or money. Love summer. :huh:

Brooks: Thanks for the warning; Kristin's friends go at least twice a year so I'm sure they won't have us climbing up any mountains or anything. LOL We didn't end up going fishing we just ran out of time on Saturday as we ended up getting up late and wanted to get a good 40K of riding out of the way. By the time we got back to the site it was 4pm and we had a good amount of drinking to get done!

P51: We agreed to see one ocean this year looks like it will be the Pacific because I can use my frequent flyer miles to get out there go skiing for a week over US Thanksgiving. I like the idea of going to the Maritimes camping sounds like a hell of a way to see the country. How long did it take to get out there?
Euro Ford Fan,Jul 12 2005, 05:13 PM Wrote:P51:  We agreed to see one ocean this year looks like it will be the Pacific because I can use my frequent flyer miles to get out there go skiing for a week over US Thanksgiving.  I like the idea of going to the Maritimes camping sounds like a hell of a way to see the country.  How long did it take to get out there?
[right][snapback]121397[/snapback][/right]

From Ottawa, we drove through the US, which was a big mistake. Upper NY state is a shithole. We made it to Vt at dark'o'clock, and had trouble finding a campsite that didn't have local yokels dancing around the campfires with their rifles...

Vt. and Nh were nice, but not worth the drive through NY and Maine. We drove from Vt and camped in Maine the second day. Same ish. Pretty crappy place.

Made it to St. Stevens in NB which was a breath of fresh air. Beautiful place. Camped at Passamaquadie (sp?) campground, and lucked out, the RCMP musical ride was in town! 3rd day, did the Hopewell rocks, and stayed somewhere on the NB/NS border. 4th day, drove up to PEI, stayed on the north shore of the island. 5th day, did some Anne of Green Gables stuff, then down to NS, camped outside Halifax. 6th day, saw Halifax, camped at the same place. 7th day, went down to Um... the place with the BlueNose, but it wasn't there. Saw Peggies Cove, etc... Camped somewhere near there. 8th day, drove to.... somewhere near Moncton, on the 9th day, I think we went home, all the way to Ottawa... or I missed a day somewhere.

Just get up way early in the morning, and you should be able to drive across Quebec all the way to NB in one day. Or, stop short in the Quebec City area, it's nice too.
Tenting is the ONLY way to truly experience Canada firsthand. We only hit a minor motel the first night out last summer on our drive to Nova Scotia... the rest of the trip was tenting. Pure fun.

Most camp grounds are 15-25 / night for your tent without electricity. At least that's what we paid while on our trip.
A thing i found out, what not to do while camping,
some years ago, i was playing with a swiss army knife type of thing, that folds in, well i almost cut the end of my thumb off, like a cm deep cut, then went on a 6 hour canoe trip, put 10 bandaids on and the blood was still coming through, so
1)never play with knifes before a canoe trip and
2) bring first aid
Glad to hear you had fun :D