FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Wtb / Wtt Older Computer Parts Or Systems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Alright, as some of you who know me know... I'm heavy into distributed computing for cancer research. I actually head up a team of people (just under 30 of us) from all over N.A. and the UK who are running the Grid.org / United Devices client and participating in Oxford University's cancer research project.

A detailed description of the project can be found here.

What I am looking for are donations / really good deals on motherboard / cpu / RAM combos or older systems. What I do with 'em is format them, install a base OEM copy of Windows 2000 Pro (for remote management's sake) and then install the UD client.

I have an arrangement with a buddy who runs a computer store that I'll receive some shelf / rack space shortly, and I'll be co-locating the DC computers there.

I guess I should point out that no-one in the project is compensated, monetarily or otherwise. We're in this because we want to see cancer gone, period. The project is in some rather in-depth investigative work right now (work that's farmed out to the Grid members) and it's probably some of the short-listed potential treatments / cures.

So, if you have any extra older parts / systems, give me a shout here, via MSN, or I can supply an email address for lengthy correspondence.

Basic requirements for parts / systems:

Pentium II 300MHz or higher, AMD K6-2 series or higher
RAM: 128MB is enough for a base Win2K install and the client
Hard drives: 4-6GB is enough
Networking: 10/100Mbit network card
Video: absolutely nothing more than a 1-4MB onboard solution, even. Completely not a requirement.
Sound: no
Keyboard / mouse: nope. We have KVM (keyboard/video/mouse) switches to run them on, or also administered remotely over the network.
Cases w/PSU: would be nice, but not necessary. I'll be building a "tray" of caseless computers that we'll have sitting out as well to save some space.

It's appreciated, everyone. Also, if you have a home computer and you want to join the project (and not just joining our team - do what you will!) - check out the website - Grid.org's cancer research page. Also, partial donations of single parts or whatever is good, too. I can also arrange to scrounge up cash after we move to offset the cost of shipping to North Bay if that's a problem. Most light packages to North Bay via Xpress Post are about 10 bucks, give or take from anywhere in Ontario.

Thanks,

Adam
:headbang: :headbang:

We do have a website that is admittedly out-of-date that I run - http://teamx.webhop.org

I'll be creating a new account for the "FocusCanadaBot" computers and everyone will be able to track their progress via the Fast Stats! page on the website. I'm also trying to find a way to embed a dynamic picture of the stats for the account as well into my blog. Also, all those who contribute will be recognized as members of the FocusCanadaBot "group".
Man that's a long read.

I was also wondering if someone who was graphically-inclined ;) could come up with a neat little logo incorporating Focus Canada and the word "bot" in some sort of scary font? The graphic would adorn the website and the blog (once I sort that out) as well as being printed out in good quality and hung / posted over the actual machine(s) in the shop. It would foster interest in the project and Focus Canada :) and I'd have something neat to embed in my email signature at home as a clickable image.

Thanks guys :)
Just a reminder that extra, unused old computer systems for Folding @ Home and the UD projects are gladly accepted, refurbished, and put to use.

So far, Hardk0re has volunteered a Pentium III-500MHz system. I'll be bringing that online as soon as I get back from the Dyno Day, and then moving it to the new house along with the other computer riffraff. You can bring the system to the Dyno Day if you're worried about getting it to North Bay. I can also grab it if it's around the GTA on the Friday before or the Sunday after the Dyno Day.

If you have a newer system that you're thinking of replacing anyways, let me know what it is and maybe we can come to an understanding. That way your "investment" in the original system isn't lost, and the distributed computing arena gains another unwitting participant.

Oh, and a shameless plug for the new FocusCanada.net F@H team - # 45644.

See the Folding thread in Off Topic to see how you can contribute the unused CPU cycles of your home computer in the fight against disease!

:headbang:
I got a slightly burnt copy of Windows 3.1 on floppy...it's yours for $5 + shipping
microbunny,Jul 26 2005, 09:16 PM Wrote:I got a slightly burnt copy of Windows 3.1 on floppy...it's yours for $5 + shipping
[right][snapback]125571[/snapback][/right]

PIRATED SOFTWARE! Thats against FC.NET Rules, BANNED!!!!!