FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Is My Work Trying To Screw Me?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok so this place that i am working for, i feel is trying to screw me good.

I was just promted to manager, with a pay raise. On my paycheck it says i make an hourly rate.

I work from 9-6 usually, and dont offically take a lunch break, b/c im the only one here. But most of my day is just surfing the net, b/c its a new store and not that much business.

I had my area manager tell me that...

-managers dont take lunch breaks
-managers dont collect overtime
-managers make salary

if my paycheck says i make so-and-so an hour, thats what it is. Dont they have to show me something of my earnings, or sign something that says i make this much salary? She said i already accepted the position so they dont have to show me anything.

I accepted the manager position when they said they would increase me $1/hr.

So if im hourly, that means that im entitled to over time, and if i dont take a lunch break i should be paid for it (they deduct the hours anyways whether i take it or not)

So she comes back and says, "we are allowed to make your paychecks out like you work hourly, even tho you make salary, if it is easier for accounting purposes" and also "we can work you as many hours as we want b/c your a manager and under salary".

It seems liek they are just making this s**t up, so they can save or labour costs and stuff.

Anybody have any insight on this?
Sucks....

Get a promotion = Get s**t on more. I dunno, I can't see why accounting would be 'harder' having you on a salary instead of having them punch in your hours every pay period (creating more work for them). Sounds a bit shaddy.

Making a buck an hour more yet working more hours (not paid) and things like that doesn't seem like much of a promotion even though it should. I haven't worked 'retail' type jobs where you can become a manager after a certain amount of time so no experience in how they pay for that but I got some friends that do that and they are 'managers' on an actual salary (monthy wage) that doesn't vary but they do tend to put in more hours for it. There was more of a wage increase from 'employee' to 'manager' as I recall the one guy I know got a $5 wage per hour increase (on average) from his monthly hourly income to his manager's income.
I don't think that they can't just promote you without any documentation...but before you cause TOO much s**t, find out if you're on a probationary period...if you are, and they get pissed off, they could just fire you, lol.

I'm on base + commission and my paycheques still show x dollars bi-weekly, with hours indicated, so going by your paycheque alone will tell you nothing.

If you have an HR department, ask for a complete job description + detailed compensation structure...they should be able to provide with that much.

They can't "work you as much as they want", that's in clear violation of labour law...managers are "expected" to work irregular hours and whatnot, but the company is NOT exempt from labour legislation just because you're on salary. But if you don't do your job, they can eventually boot you...so it's still a bit of a catch-22.

http://www.labour.gov.sk.ca/standards/
my job has not changed a bit, the only difference is that if something happens, i catch the s**t.

I have NOTHING that says im on salary...they just say i am...

and this is a mickey mouse business, no HR here...

im really startting to consider whether i should go back to a job that pay less, that actually pays me for the hours work.

ill work irregular hours, but im not gonna work 50 hours a week, and only get paid for 40, espceially at the wage im working at!

gimmie 50,000 a year and you can pull that...
FociPhil,Jul 6 2005, 03:36 PM Wrote:my job has not changed a bit, the only difference is that if something happens, i catch the s**t.

im really startting to consider whether i should go back to a job that pay less, that actually pays me for the hours work.

ill work irregular hours, but im not gonna work 50 hours a week, and only get paid for 40, espceially at the wage im working at!

[right][snapback]119801[/snapback][/right]

Exactly Phil..... you don't want to be in that kinda boat, taking all the s**t and getting paid less essentially for doing the same thing yet working more hours at the so-called 'raise' and position climb.

How are they to work for otherwise? Any other work issues? Friendly management? Strict? etc.....
at my previous job, I got a pay raise after working 3 months there, and I went from hourly to salary. Basically, Salary means I can call in sick and still get paid weekly the same paycheck, it DID have an hourly wage on it, but that was because the program to do payroll calculates it into a hourly rate to give you a check. I wasnt allowd to get overtime after my promotion, but I WAS allowd to bank my hours so once I reach 4 or 8 hours, I can take a half or full day off with pay.
S2,Jul 6 2005, 09:47 PM Wrote:
FociPhil,Jul 6 2005, 03:36 PM Wrote:my job has not changed a bit, the only difference is that if something happens, i catch the s**t.

[right][snapback]119801[/snapback][/right]

Exactly Phil..... you don't want to be in that kinda boat, taking all the s**t and getting paid less essentially for doing the same thing yet working more hours at the so-called 'raise' and position climb.

How are they to work for otherwise? Any other work issues? Friendly management? Strict? etc.....
[right][snapback]119802[/snapback][/right]

well its boring as hell...and im the only one in my compnay other than one of my area managers that have a highschool education...it pays the bills, but i dont want to do this job...

Paolo, yeah that sounds liek the situation im in...i used to be able to bank hours, thne they said managers cant do that, beacuase its like overtime...

id like to call in sick, but im the only one here most of the time, and im sure they will find a way to dock my pay for that <_<
They can't pay you salary and show your wage in an hourly format.

Also, just because you're a manager doesn't mean you can't get paid overtime.

FWIW, I'm salary and I get compensated for overages beyond the usual work week, either in extra pay or paid days off... my choice. Our managers / assistant managers don't get extra pay, just the days off. At least it's something.

However, on my stub, it clearly shows a gross pay free of hours, and then all the slicing and dicing begins.

Also, if they're making a point of not giving you a status change sheet clearly showing a move from hourly to salary, something's up. The same for their over-the-top maniacal glee that they can work you in excess of your weekly usual without extra compensation.

Did you find the lube? It's in the bathroom, in the medicine cabinet... behind the PreparatiOWNED.

I found the prep H anyways, it must be close by:

[Image: prephowned.jpg]

02ztsian

Move to Calgary, jobs are falling off trees out here! Seriously!
work hourly.

Salarys are for people who are payed obscene amount's of money.... and suckers.

I'm a sucker, buit a well paid one :D

Just remember, the more you work over 8 hours, the less you make an hour on salary.
I'm on salary.... It's probably for the better. In my case at least.

my manager back when i worked at longos. worked it out, with her salary, and the hours she worked she was making like 9.00 per hour.

haha OWNAGE!