FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Process Of Importing A Car From The Usa
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,
there are no real updates on the svt situation as of yet. but i've been thinking of getting a subaru WRX as its replacment. Preferably a wagon.

i was wondering what the process is to import a car from the states.

On ebay, you can easily find a 04 wrx wagon, with a buy it now price of 23k CDN with fairly low kms, VS. a 2002 wagon with 80km down here going for like 22+

Is it worth it bringing a car over, what sort of taxes, fees etc, would i incur by buying this US car. I'll probably post on the subaru boards asking about the swtich between KM/H and MPH gages. etc.
scoobasteve,Jul 4 2005, 10:25 PM Wrote:Hey guys,
there are no real updates on the svt situation as of yet. but i've been thinking of getting a subaru WRX as its replacment. Preferably a wagon.

i was wondering what the process is to import a car from the states.

On ebay, you can easily find a 04 wrx wagon, with a buy it now price of 23k CDN with fairly low kms, VS. a 2002 wagon with 80km down here going for like 22+

Is it worth it bringing a car over, what sort of taxes, fees etc, would i incur by buying this US car. I'll probably post on the subaru boards asking about the swtich between KM/H and MPH gages. etc.
[right][snapback]119247[/snapback][/right]

i think it is like buying a car here except you have to pay additional to bring it into canada, i believe it is just GST you have to pay. However when you buy a used car in canada you have to pay 15% tax on the book list price of the car. So you may have to pay the GST to bring the car into canada and then the extra 15% on top of that
http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

My Mom works there, she's director of operations. But I don't have much idea of how to, so umm read theirs.
There's duties, plus taxes, and converting the car to Kms from miles might be illegal because your changing the odometer, and to do this you have to change something in the transmission, as my dad told me once. I remember something about New cars under 2 years old are required to return to the states for a few months out of the year, but I'm not sure if that rule still applys since almost all rules changed after 9/11.
Hi the way it works is you have to provide the ownership of the vechile 72 hours prior before you bring it in to Canada . At this point you have to pay the gst ,the car has to have insurance and to be able to pass Canadien emission laws. Then when you reg the car the you pay the rest of the taxes that are needed ( pst ) and duty ,

Probably some useful info here.

Ebay Canadian Motors Speedway Board
I know a guy that used to work for this site (or still does. Can't remember): www.kansei.ca

I'll hit him up over MSN tomorrow, he's dealt with 2-3 imports of JDM stuff and knows some about the US imports as well.
Aka,Jul 4 2005, 07:11 PM Wrote:http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html
[right][snapback]119259[/snapback][/right]

Flofocus,Jul 4 2005, 10:02 PM Wrote:http://www.riv.ca/
[right][snapback]119281[/snapback][/right]
:P I posted riv before you.

Also, the car not only has to meet emissions, but safety IIRC.