FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Re/407
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
FYI:

Quote:OPP Using New Toll Violation Enforcement Tool

Next time you see an Ontario Provincial Police (OPP)
cruiser on 407 ETR, you may notice a new device
mounted on its roof. It’s a device that has recently
completed a successful pilot program and is to be
used as a new toll enforcement tool on 407 ETR to
reduce toll evasion.

The new device is a mobile transponder reader that:

Consists of three components:
1. An antenna (see Image 1), which is
mounted on the right side of the OPP
cruiser and points to the right;
2. The reader, which is a small box
located in the trunk of the cruiser; and
3. A display unit (see Image 2), which is
mounted inside the cruiser.

Holy moley,

407 must be getting dinged hardcore by toll evaders to spend that kind of coin to catch them.

Maybe if they eliminate the toll evaders the rates will be reduced? </sarcasm>

NefCanuck
It was only time till they set something up to catch the people:

A. Motorcycle riders bending their plate up,
B. The people that actually pull over before entering the 407 with magnetic backing on their plates, pull them off, then put them back on just as soon as they cross the camera entrance.

C. people that toss snow/dirt on their plates
Its actually not really for toll evaders its for vehicles over 5 tons They legally must have a transponder so now the OPP can pull up beside a big rig and make sure they have a working transponder. Not really about toll evaders but recurring evaders usally get caught.
whatever it is for its good. Hopefully this will make my SNC stocks go up :D
Hmmm..

OPP out protecting a private company making sure it gets paid?

I wonder if the 407 pays for that service?
Last time I used the 407 was when it was brand new and still free. Who cares? Not me! LOL
When I read this I thought that 407 was finally teaming up with OPP and calculating distance and time you spent on the 407. Like traveling 100km in 40minutes.......

hardk0re,May 19 2009, 09:21 PM Wrote:When I read this I thought that 407 was finally teaming up with OPP and calculating distance and time you spent on the 407.  Like traveling 100km in 40minutes.......
[right][snapback]287607[/snapback][/right]

Unfortunatly not, although it would be a good idea seeing they already have a picture of your plate. Could you imagine getting your 407 bill and 40 speeding tickets. 1 for every time you took the highway. LOL
That would just kill. I use to fly going out to the 404 and when you pass the scanners heading south on the 404 I was still doing aleast 140KM. 1 night they didn't catch the car though. It took them 2 months and they had to call and request a picture of the car because it was soo blurd lol. My parents didn't want anything to happen so we just said yes it was me and paid the $10.
ZX3_2NV,May 19 2009, 05:52 PM Wrote:Its actually not really for toll evaders its for vehicles over 5 tons They legally must have a transponder so now the OPP can pull up beside a big rig and make sure they have a working transponder. Not really about toll evaders but recurring evaders usally get caught.
[right][snapback]287590[/snapback][/right]

Thats probably true, I kow they can even tell what type of transponder you have in the truck (commercial or not) my old boss was a cheap prick and a couple of the drivers got a ticket for using a car transponder in a dump truck.
Its not probablly true, it is true Ive got the inside scoop ;) Its that exact reason they have the machines and yup it can tell the difference between the two types of transponders. And Scorcher are you saying the 407 called you to request a picture that doesn't make sence if anything you would get a bill with a minimum trip. If they only got a pic on the way in you'll get a bill for charges till the next exit.
From the same email:

Quote:"The majority of our customers pay their bills on time and use valid transponders.  However, a small percentage of drivers on 407 ETR try to avoid paying their tolls by using various tactics, including driving vehicles without a valid, heavy vehicle transponder."

well there you have it.

its quite a big difference if you add up the KM on peak hours in the regular zone Heavy vehicles with a trailers are charged 59.55 Cents per km vs 19.85 cents with a light transponder.
Seriously they called. They said that they have a picture of the car but can't prove it is it. They only had the bottum of the plate and the rear bumper. We agreed that it was me because they said that I made that trip 3-5 times a week in that direction. They asked for a pic of the car to prove it or just agree that it was me. Then they said I should slow down too.
Andrew there was some times they just billed me to the next exit like you said. But this was not the case.

I don't go on it anymore so I really don't care about all this cop non-sence.
meh... I use the 407 occasionally.. it's very convenient.

If I didn't want to pay for it, I wouldn't use it. Time for everyone else to deal with it.