FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Need Help Diagnosing Small Problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all

Recently I have noticed that my steering wheel vibrates at highway speeds (say 120KM/H) or when I brake hard... I am thinking I probably just need my wheels balanced. Any ideas what else could be going on? No other symptoms really...

maybe tires are cupped or belts thrown
I have that problem also... My rotors arent in the best of shape (warped) and need to be replaced, and thats causing my shake. Yours could be the same. Try looking at yours and you should be able to tell if they have problems. Also my rotor damage is on the inside of the rotors, not the outside facing side!! Look them over well!

I noticed yours said at high speeds all the time... I also have a bent rim on mine which causes some shake!! Could be like that with yours too! Sorry, I shoulda read better and I would have seen it wasnt just when braking!
yeah that's called resonance. You definitely have something 'warped' or out of balance. One time I had a wheel wieght fall off and that caused it to shudder. Air pressures, tire wear, bent rim, loose wheel, etc... all could do this. How is the tire wear?

And you're sure you didn't put a quarter in the dash for 2 minutes of good vibration? :ph34r: :lol:
BrooksZX3,Jun 29 2005, 12:10 PM Wrote:yeah that's called resonance.  You definitely have something 'warped' or out of balance.  One time I had a wheel wieght fall off and that caused it to shudder.  Air pressures, tire wear, bent rim, loose wheel, etc... all could do this.  How is the tire wear?

And you're sure you didn't put a quarter in the dash for 2 minutes of good vibration?  :ph34r:  :lol:
[right][snapback]118440[/snapback][/right]

The tire wear is alright, but this is definately my last summer on the stock RSAs. Tire pressure could do this? I will have to double check my pressures...

Is it safe to assume that this vibration in the steering wheel could only be caused by something in the front end?

The general rule is if your wheel vibrates its your front end, if your ass vibrates its your rear end... :P
I had similar issues.. rotors were warped, and a couple weights fell of the wheels.
I had the same thing all the way up from 40 - 120 KPH. My rotors were quite baked. I had it up to 120 on the way back from the dealer, no worries.

If they're (the rotors) aren't too far gone, they can be "turned" to get rid of the shimmy. If they're too far out of spec., time for new rotors.
Well I am hoping it is just wheel weights that fell off... the rotors are less than a year old, so at the very least they should be able to turn them if that is the problem.

There is no vibration in the brake pedal though - wouldn't there be, if it was the rotors?

Thanks for all the advice guys.
Rotors!