FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: A Good Dealer Story To Counter The Bad
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I dropped off the sedan today for service, knowing full well this wasn't going to be cheap.

I've since had them do a #3 service (fairly extensive, massive inspection of the entire car and all major systems, includes an oil change), replace the rotors with Ford OEM rotors (which I hope to hell are better than the ones that came with the car), fuel filter (Ford recommends every 25K, I'm at 27), and two steering stabilizer linkages.

Taxes in and labour in, 700.72.

Now, before you all flip out and tell me I'm getting gouged, consider the costs:

$310, labour in for two new OEM (not the cheapo) rotors

New fuel filter, plus labour - not sure, can't be that bad

2 new steering stabilizer linkages, not sure, plus labour

#3 service including oil change - $82, incl. labour

Now add 15% for taxes.

I think I did alright.

Now, here's the weird part. They also wanted to replace the spark plugs because my service history showed I had a very intermittent (like once every 3-5K) "hiccup" in my ignition or ECU. I haven't had it since I reset the ECU for my K+N cone months ago, and the car runs better still with the new wires.

Somehow, if I had allowed them to do the spark plugs, my bill after taxes would have been $882.00 :blink: :huh:

So, I give Kari at Stockfish full credit for being honest with me as always and doing what the customer wants as opposed to what the service techs want.
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 29 2005, 09:18 AM Wrote:I dropped off the sedan today for service, knowing full well this wasn't going to be cheap.

I've since had them do a #3 service (fairly extensive, massive inspection of the entire car and all major systems, includes an oil change), replace the rotors with Ford OEM rotors (which I hope to hell are better than the ones that came with the car), fuel filter (Ford recommends every 25K, I'm at 27), and two steering stabilizer linkages.

Now, before you all flip out and tell me I'm getting gouged, consider the costs:

Now add 15% for taxes.

I think I did alright.

Now, here's the weird part. They also wanted to replace the spark plugs because my service history showed I had a very intermittent (like once every 3-5K) "hiccup" in my ignition or ECU. I haven't had it since I reset the ECU for my K+N cone months ago, and the car runs better still with the new wires.

Somehow, if I had allowed them to do the spark plugs, my bill after taxes would have been $882.00 :blink: :huh:

So, I give Kari at Stockfish full credit for being honest with me as always and doing what the customer wants as opposed to what the service techs want.
[right][snapback]118363[/snapback][/right]

Why does your car need so much work?

As for the plugs.... Not sure if you were reading my thread on my woes with the wife's car, but they wanted 200 bux at Toyota to replace plugs and wires. :blink:

I guess the mark up on these is crazy.
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 29 2005, 08:18 AM Wrote:I dropped off the sedan today for service, knowing full well this wasn't going to be cheap.

Now add 15% for taxes.

I think I did alright.

[right][snapback]118363[/snapback][/right]

You did pretty good considering that in TO most of the dealers that I contacted to get my rotors and pads changed were gouging me to the tune of $550.00. Good Job and sounds like you've got a great dealer up there in NB I wish I could say the same for the ones down here in TO(Donway).

Laterz :)
Heh, thought we discussed my pending doom at the BBQ :P

My front rotors warped pretty bad, apparently. Stockfish says the pads are pristine, still... so they don't need to be replaced. I had the choice of the cheapo rotors or the OEM replacements, went with the OEMs till I decide on a brake upgrade course of action.

Fuel filter - that's common sense.

Steering stabilizers - I remember what Oscar's car felt like before his dealer did his replacements. I am NOT going there.

Recommended service, inspection and oil change - the price seemed steep but had I not done it they would not have found the possible problem with the steering stabilizers.

The car's been very good to me, and if warped rotors are the only headache so far - I can live with that. As for the steering parts, that's wear and tear. Such is life.

It's making a dent in the housing fund, but we should be able to make most of it back up tomorrow. So, we're a paycheque behind where we wanted to be... not the end of the world by far.
Platinum plugs from Ford run : $ 7-16 depending on application
Stab links are $ 27.33 ea.
Fuel filter $ 18.23

OEM Ford rotors : $ 104.75 ea
Motorcraft rotors : $ 75.68 ea
Good to know, thanks man.

I'll cross-reference the prices against the bill when we get there.
I dunno man... something about "regular maintenence" costing a 10th the price of the car. you may have been better off doing it elsewhere.

my brakes (completley aftermarket) would cost like 350 ~ 400 total. Even if you dont want to to the job yourself, i'm sure a member would be willing to help.

call me bitter... but whatever
Rotors are easy to change yourself, I don't understand how a pad can be in pristine condition but the rotor is warped though. :S

Fuel filter is easy to do as well

But all in all, I guess you did ok. :s
I just turned my rotors they were getting warped BAD. Pads were fine had lots of meat left

That was done at 34,000km, i'm push 38 now and no troubles, may want to get new tires soon tho
Crazirich,Jun 29 2005, 11:18 AM Wrote:I just turned my rotors they were getting warped BAD.  Pads were fine had lots of meat left

That was done at 34,000km, i'm push 38 now and no troubles, may want to get new tires soon tho
[right][snapback]118423[/snapback][/right]
lol, the tire gauge said for you to, buy new tires immediately, :lol: , just dont drive in the snow with um :lol:
my original rotors and pads both crapped out at 65K, believe it or not, they never even warped, they were just worn to sh!ts. Ford factory rotors were garbage to begin with
i judge quality by abuse, not so much on the focus since its new, but anything i ever put on my old stang i had that was the rule of thumb. If i can withstand a beating from me its all good

quality now a days is chalked up to how well you treat and care for it, not how long it lasts, we live in a disposable environment.
I just replaced my pads and rotors at 62k with Brembo rotors and HKS pads for $300 labour courtesy of mitch. :D
On my first focus I needed my pads/rotors changed at 40k, well the dealer said I needed new rotors and pads, and yes total was around 500-600. Needless to say I went and got some ebc rotors and pads for half that cost and put them on myself.

Changing your front brakes/rotors is easier than night shading your turn signals....and takes less time.... :P
Jays2000ZX3,Jun 29 2005, 11:38 AM Wrote:Rotors are easy to change yourself, I don't understand how a pad can be in pristine condition but the rotor is warped though. :S

Fuel filter is easy to do as well

But all in all, I guess you did ok. :s
[right][snapback]118413[/snapback][/right]

the fuel filter is really easy, if you have, and know how to use the clip tool.... hah, i'm so awesome i do it with my hands though B) :ph34r:
So what your saying is if you read the DIY threads in the Focus talk section, Called Jay for a quick explanation, or me for the brakes....

You could have saved $310.00.

Thats a nice chunk of change to put towards an svt front bumper. ;) :D
Flofocus,Jun 30 2005, 10:56 AM Wrote:So what your saying is if you read the DIY threads in the Focus talk section, Called Jay for a quick explanation, or me for the brakes....

You  could have saved $310.00.

Thats a nice chunk of change to put towards an svt front bumper. ;)  :D
[right][snapback]118643[/snapback][/right]

I think he gets the message bud. I actually spoke with NOS regarding this but ya know with the summer, we are all busy with other priorities. So I don't really blame him for bringing it to Ford. Plus, especially when it comes to brakes and safety, some people like to leave it to the professionals.
*shrugs*

It took a chunk out of the house fund, but nothing we can't recover quickly. Like Oscar said, it was a matter of timing.