FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Installing Springs..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
ok, here's my question to you guys, i'm a DIY type of guy, and a set of lowering springs are in my mind right now. If/when i get them, how difficult would it be to install these damn things? My local shop wants like $150 just for the install, so would it be something i can do myself/with a couple of friends?
installing springs is not hard to do, takes a couple of hours to do it but you need the right tools
a spring compressor, an impact gun and possibly a oxy-ace torch as you may need to heat up some bolts to get them off as you probably have some rust to deal with as you live back east(god i love living on the west coast!! ;) )

$150 is a fair price for the install.
i flat rate my springs/shock installs at $175 and $200 for the wagon.
i have yet to do just springs on a car as most of the local cars i work on get shocks at the same time.
I installed my first set of springs (FK) my self and I have no previous car knowledge at all. Took me like 12 hours but I eneded up lowering my car again and that time around ti only took me 6 ish.

Its really easy just some of the bolts and get a beatch to get off and if you got air tools its so much faster. I actually followed the instructions off of http://www.steeda.com
I did mine myself as well, not too hard just can get difficult getting some bolts off. I also used the instructions from steeda.com the rear is very easy, the fronts you need to be careful and have the right tools, theres alot of pressure in the springs and alot of damage can be done if one lets loose.
for the front spring i picked up spring compressors from princess auto for $25 :D
$175 to do springs? WOW, things are expensice out west.

I charge people $60-$75 and I thought that was a lot. :o

The rears are a pain if you try to take out the bolt at the hub but it can be easy.

I never use a spring compressor to remove springs. I lay them in the grass, put one foot on it and use the impact, it pops, but it ain't THAT bad, you obviously don't do this with the spring in the vertical position...lol

I would FOR SURE suggest having an impact gun.
I got mine done for 69 bucks.

Skrew the hassle, pay someone to do them.
I think i'll be doing mine over the next couple weeks sometime since i now have my other car out and i won't be stranded without a ride

however an alignment is a must in my books
ZX3TUNING,Jun 28 2005, 11:14 PM Wrote:i flat rate my springs/shock installs at $175 and $200 for the wagon.
[right][snapback]118313[/snapback][/right]

Jebus :ph34r:
I paid $200+ to get mine put on

you really need the right tools to do it yourself.
If you have air tools you could do it yourself pretty easily, but without an impact gun it would take forever and be a lot harder. A friend and I did mine ourselves since he has an impact gun and spring compressors, otherwise I'd probably just pay to have it done.

Also depends on how much of a 'do-it-yourself' kind of guy you are.
Shop charges $100 here.

whoever pays $200 for installing springs needs to learn how to shop around or you have money to waste, in that case, send me some!!! :lol:

I'd be expecting a freakin wheel alignment with that price.

Is the wagon harder to work on mitch?