FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Subwoofer Recommendations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well I've got a single 12 Alpine Type X, and love it. The new Type R's have some of that the same technology and what not now, so they should be good too. Be careful, if I read correctly you are planning to do just one now and add a second sub at a later date? This could be a poor idea as the subs will not be balanced, even if the are exact same models. As subs are broken in and played their characteristics tend to change, the newer one will likely be stiffer and tighter while making the other seem sloppy. If money is an issue maybe wait to save up and buy both at the same time, or pay a little more for a higher end single sub. For sound the amp and box design play a big part in the loudness. A cheap sub in a properly designed box with lots of power will outplay an expensive high end sub with only sufficient power. Overpowering is less hazardous than underpowering. My Type X is rated at a power handling of 1000 watts RMS, my amp was testing at putting out 1038 Watts RMS at 2 ohms which is where i have it. It works great, I just tested it out this weekend and hit 145.1 db's, which was louder than most of the multiple sub setups, I got second to an 8 inch L7 with more power than mine. It is not thte size or quantity it is the power you can put to it.
As for recommendations, as I said I love my Alpine Type X. Also look at Memphis, they are a good company with same nice looking equipment. The rep up here during the sound off this weekend, quickly though in two of there entry level 12's in a slot ported box in his car with their 1500 watt mono amp (it was only wired at 4 ohms so it wasn't putting out near 1500 watts, but I can't remember what it was putting out). They tested it and hit 148 db's, which was very impressive for entry level subs that hadn't been broken in.
Pages: 1 2