FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Installed New 8mm Plug Wires Last Night
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I mean SERIOUSLY... somewhere down the line Ford decided to upgrade the 7mm junkers with good, clean 8mm replacements... and the difference is felt, or is that NOT felt, as soon as you start the car. Holy crap!

It's a MASSIVE increase in smoothness, responsiveness, and a little hesitation I was getting right around when the IMRC kicks in ~ 3500 RPM or so turned out to be my wires and not my intake airflow. Nice.

Now it's like ripping silk running the SPI through the rev range - not really an indication of "more power" but "more power delivered RIGHT FREAKING NOW".

I think I'll enjoy the cruise down today even more :)

On a related note, what spark plugs do you performance-minded individuals recommend? I think I'm due for a change to match the new wires.
[Image: 200x200_flame_retardant_suit.gif]

Spark plug wires do nothing.
You're kidding, right? No disrespect, but will the next revelation be that pistons are highly-overrated? :huh:

My wires have been suspect for a while, and while I wasn't missing or bogging heavily, the difference was felt immediately. Even Sara noticed a difference.

Are the guys that buying the Screamin' Demon coils and 10mm Live Wires tools then?

I just didn't expect that from you.
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 24 2005, 10:06 AM Wrote:You're kidding, right? No disrespect, but will the next revelation be that pistons are highly-overrated? :huh:

My wires have been suspect for a while, and while I wasn't missing or bogging heavily, the difference was felt immediately. Even Sara noticed a difference.

Are the guys that buying the Screamin' Demon coils and 10mm Live Wires tools then?

I just didn't expect that from you.
[right][snapback]116923[/snapback][/right]

I'm kidding man.

I'm still running my stockers, so honestly, I couldn't tell you difference. I've heard from many that plug wires and plugs don't do a whole lot in the department of performance.

Sorry man, no disrespect. B)
Ouch... I guess I fired off too quick, and missed the sarcasm. My bad :(

Sorry bout that. I know I haven't probably added any NEW performance to the engine, but it sure feels like it's running as it was meant to, especially with the current mods.
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 24 2005, 10:17 AM Wrote:Ouch... I guess I fired off too quick, and missed the sarcasm. My bad :(

Sorry bout that. I know I haven't probably added any NEW performance to the engine, but it sure feels like it's running as it was meant to, especially with the current mods.
[right][snapback]116927[/snapback][/right]

There's a good chance that the car does feel different. I mean look at the attitude of most of the guys here. Swap out stock for something else. *everything is better than stock*
I really dont think plug wires do much. but i'll probably upgrade mine anyway. an intresting comparison would be to put a new set of stock 7mm wires on the spi and see if you notice a difference. perhaps the old spark plug wires were on their way out.
I had to replace all of mine back to stock after we found out my Ford Racing Wires were rusting at the tips.

I've heard if you really want to notice a difference with wires, go with the scremon deamon....

crazy_kid has them on his SVT and he said he noticed a big difference.

Thats probably one of my next purchases.
Flofocus,Jun 24 2005, 11:14 AM Wrote:I had to replace all of mine back to stock after we found out my Ford Racing Wires were rusting at the tips.

I've heard if you really want to notice a difference with wires, go with the scremon deamon....

[right][snapback]116977[/snapback][/right]

Cuz, most of the reviews I've heard are plug wires do as much as a strut bar.

nothing.
oh yeah, me to.

When I installed the FR ones, they did make a minimal difference, but I have a 2000 Focus, and anything that I changed on the car seemed to get rid of some sort of hiccup. They didnt add power or anything like that, but def got rid of some little misfire happening in lower RPM's on the car.
Flofocus,Jun 24 2005, 11:14 AM Wrote:I had to replace all of mine back to stock after we found out my Ford Racing Wires were rusting at the tips.

Hey flo... question though. Would it make sense upgrading the coil on the focus with it boosted. Isnt the main purpose of the screamin demon coil to get a stronger spark so you can open up your gap. Wouldnt that cause Deto in a F/I car?

correct me if i'm wrong/....
scoobasteve,Jun 24 2005, 11:26 AM Wrote:

Hey flo... question though. Would it make sense upgrading the coil on the focus with it boosted. Isnt the main purpose of the screamin demon coil to get a stronger spark so you can open up your gap. Wouldnt that cause Deto in a F/I car?

correct me if i'm wrong/....
[right][snapback]116989[/snapback][/right]

Stronger spark is good no? I would imagine keeping the 1 step colder plugs gapped at .055 (I think, I'll have to double check that) with the screamin deamon coil pack upgrade with the live wires would be better over what is there now.
thats true. I guess it still is usefull. I just assumed that the purpose of the sd coil was to open up the gap.
scoobasteve,Jun 24 2005, 12:56 PM Wrote:thats true.  I guess it still is usefull.  I just assumed  that the purpose of the sd coil was to open up the gap.
[right][snapback]117023[/snapback][/right]

I dont know...I could be wrong.

I dont see the screamin deamon making that much of a difference, but Im sure theyre will be an improvement over stock.
Flofocus,Jun 24 2005, 01:06 PM Wrote:
scoobasteve,Jun 24 2005, 12:56 PM Wrote:thats true.  I guess it still is usefull.  I just assumed  that the purpose of the sd coil was to open up the gap.
[right][snapback]117023[/snapback][/right]

I dont know...I could be wrong.

I dont see the screamin deamon making that much of a difference, but Im sure theyre will be an improvement over stock.
[right][snapback]117025[/snapback][/right]

They did a pretty good improvement to the stocker Zetec they were installed in during the last, or second-last issue of Focus Fanatic. There was like a 3HP gain at best, but it was the overall clean-up of the powerband, the improved responsiveness, etc. that really impressed them. They had dyno charts and all... I'll see if I have time to grab my issues before I come down.

I know my "gains" are not close to what a SD / 10mm LW set will do, but the change was instantaneous and impressive all the same.
Yeah, Back when i had my JRSC. iwas still buying parts to install with it. The F/I guys and the SVT guys told me not to waste my money with a coil and wires..

Also. MSD has a coil pack now for the focus avaliable through cfm. i think with 9mm wires it comes up to 119.00 us. a slightly cheaper alternative to the SD.
going from broken wires to good wires would make the biggest difference for sure.
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 24 2005, 09:45 AM Wrote:I mean SERIOUSLY... somewhere down the line Ford decided to upgrade the 7mm junkers with good, clean 8mm replacements... and the difference is felt, or is that NOT felt, as soon as you start the car. Holy crap!

It's a MASSIVE increase in smoothness, responsiveness, and a little hesitation I was getting right around when the IMRC kicks in ~ 3500 RPM or so turned out to be my wires and not my intake airflow. Nice.

Now it's like ripping silk running the SPI through the rev range - not really an indication of "more power" but "more power delivered RIGHT FREAKING NOW".

I think I'll enjoy the cruise down today even more :)

On a related note, what spark plugs do you performance-minded individuals recommend? I think I'm due for a change to match the new wires.
[right][snapback]116918[/snapback][/right]

There was probably a crack in the wire or boot. New wire'w would make it feel like a brand new car. Also I didn't know the SPI had a IMRC? :blink:
Yup... it opens up a set of butterflies that flow air down the "secondaries" above a preset RPM. Depending on throttle and acceleration, they could open almost instantly or may take up to 5 seconds to open. It helps gas mileage around town HUGE, and on the highway too I suppose. Also, with the way the engine is tuned, it improves off the line torque by actually having them closed for some reason. Guys who have done the infamous IMRC mod that a guy called Waterboy on FF and FJ pioneered have reported gaining mid and upper rev-range power at the expense of low-rpm torque.

I'd rather get the larger throttle body and later on down the road the new cam and valvetrain assembly than do that mod. Also, apparently port-matching the intake manifold to the new TB helps out nicely as well.

You can actually feel it "hit" and the 1-2 upshift with the SPI lands the revs right at the actuating RPM, so it doesn't close. Same for 2-3. At least they got that right!