FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: What To Buy...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Seeing as I'll have some moneyz burning a hole in my pocket after my tour here in Afghan land is over, I'm torn between what to buy...

Option #1: 17x7" SVT Dark Argent European package rims and a set of Fuzion ZRi 215/45 ZR17's...would order them all before I leave afghanistan so that way I can put them all asap when I get home.

Option #2: Dynamic/Multimatic supension kit from SHM, or a Eibach Pro System Plus or something else equivalent...I could also have this pre-ordered too so that I can get it asap.

My Dilema...is I know the bigger rims and tires will look a lot cooler than the standard 15" Trend wheels on the car now, and I could use them for a few months before the weather sux. However, I also know that the car should steer SLOWER with the bigger contact patch, and the added unsprung weight of the bigger rims would make my bolt-on hp gains almost futile, and the car will ride harsher, and I'll wanna avoid rough areas like east Hamilton or Princess st in Kingston with them...

The suspension kit would lower the car a little bit (that's all I want, I don't wanna have a slammed car that's useless in months with the white stuff), make the steering faster, the brakes more powerful (if only a little), and reduce the stock body roll by a fair bit as well...only thing is, the suspension kit would be more expensive than the rims and tires, and either be expensive for a shop to install it for me, or be time consuming for me to install myself...

Sooo...what should I get? I want both, but don't know if I wanna shell out 3-4K on both...at least not right now...
You can get rims with rubber + locking lugs and a 2"drop for under $2500 :D

I got a set of BRAND NEW 17" rims sitting here for $1000 with rubber and locking lugs. Lowering kit is about $200.

Let me know what your after and I can check with my "hook ups".
What drop you after. 1.5 or 2inch?
suspension kit. No questions asked. Improved the handling of your car. It's the most important thing.
the SHM kit is sweet.. I'm not nearly as afraid of rough roads as some of my fellow koni owners. :P
isnt the SHM kit going for some insane price again.

The SVT 15spokes are cheaper than you think man... call dixie ford. i got a pretty decent quote a few weeks back... looking at under 200 per wheel. and nexen tires from bob for 400... give or take. thats an awesome deal.

there are some decent prices on the eibach and sachs sporting kits on batinc website.

its tough to say, i think i would go with a suspension kit over rims and tires. makes a much better driving experience.
Well, I was at SHM the day darkpuppet and bluetoy bought the kits, and they were selling it for $1000 cdn that day, and not $1000 usd. IF they would agree to sell it at that price again, I'll go there and buy it in small bills if they want...lol!

I just wonder why Jac Mac on Tuner Transformation said darkpuppets car handles like a tank? I guess he doesn't drive many cars that cost less than $30,000...either that, or make it seem like the show improved the handling...

Refference the tires, there's a shop in Brantford that wants to sell me some Nexxen tires, 215/45 ZR 17's for like $120 each or somewhere near that price...but I'm still more inclined to buy the Fuzions as they are made by Bridgestone, and have their road hazard quarantees, etc. I've talked to one of the Ford dealerships in Brantford before, and they said the SVT euro's are $200 each cdn, plus taxes, but they said they might be able to sell them to me at wholesale price...if that's the case, I'd likely get them $200 each, taxes-in.

I dunno how much difference the suspension kits like the SHM one make compared to stock...it's supposed to be beyond and above an SVT suspension...which is for sale for like $275 or something riduculously cheap like that.

I've also contemplated getting a JRSC...simple to install, has a warranty, and should net me at least 150hp at the wheels, which would be an obvious difference over stock...I dunno...they seem expensive though for the amount of boost you get out of it with the standard pulley, but I like the fact that it's self-contained and that it requires no mods to the head or block since the boost is so low.

Anyways, I've gotten off track...lol...Maybe I will swallow hard and buy BOTH the suspension kit, and the rims...I only want approx 1.25-1.50" drop on the front and 1.50-1.75" on the rear, which is what I think the SHM kit is after settling. That way I lose the fender gap, but shouldn't have the floor scraping everything...

Any more suggestions?
Id get both suspension and wheels if you can...my setup cost me total $3000 or just over...i have a H&R Cup kit and Falken Circuit Spec rims
the suspension is just so well balanced, it makes me think I"m just an alignment kit and sticky tires away from 1g on the skidpad.

but then again, I haven't gotten a ride in any other setup... it's maintained its firmness over the last couple years, and it's NEVER bottomed out.
What do you use your car for?

I dont see the point of getting a 1000 dollar suspension if your just going to be driving around the streets.

Id just get shocks and springs and call it a day.
darkpuppet,Jun 23 2005, 09:57 PM Wrote:but then again, I haven't gotten a ride in any other setup...
[right][snapback]116791[/snapback][/right]

No? :huh: ;)

Quote:I've also contemplated getting a JRSC...simple to install, has a warranty, and should net me at least 150hp at the wheels, which would be an obvious difference over stock...I dunno...they seem expensive though for the amount of boost you get out of it with the standard pulley, but I like the fact that it's self-contained and that it requires no mods to the head or block since the boost is so low.

You want power obviously, with that kind of money, if you shop around, you can probably get a solid NA Car putting down 145-150hp with a decent suspension that will be streetable for under 4gs before taxes.

Why not go with the SVT retrofit and upgraded bushings?
darkpuppet,Jun 23 2005, 04:21 PM Wrote:the SHM kit is sweet.. I'm not nearly as afraid of rough roads as some of my fellow koni owners. :P
[right][snapback]116671[/snapback][/right]

I will vouch for the SHM kit.

It looks great!

[Image: IMG_0819.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0820.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0815.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0813.jpg]
Gotta love the whale tail :D
scoobasteve,Jun 24 2005, 10:41 AM Wrote:Gotta love the whale tail  :D
[right][snapback]116946[/snapback][/right]

That's not a whale tail son... that thar is an extra beer storage shelf :D

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Jun 24 2005, 11:51 AM Wrote:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]117001[/snapback][/right]

If it didnt flap in the wind, id say it would be useful
scoobasteve,Jun 24 2005, 11:53 AM Wrote:

NefCanuck

[right][snapback]117002[/snapback][/right]

then you'd be the only one saying it's useful.

it's bling baby... it distracts people from the supercharger whine.
darkpuppet,Jun 24 2005, 01:28 PM Wrote:
scoobasteve,Jun 24 2005, 11:53 AM Wrote:

NefCanuck

[right][snapback]117002[/snapback][/right]

then you'd be the only one saying it's useful.

it's bling baby... it distracts people from the supercharger whine.
[right][snapback]117046[/snapback][/right]

Usefull as a beer storage shelf... :lol:
Flofocus,Jun 23 2005, 11:30 PM Wrote:
darkpuppet,Jun 23 2005, 09:57 PM Wrote:but then again, I haven't gotten a ride in any other setup...
[right][snapback]116791[/snapback][/right]

No? :huh: ;)

i may have lied... I've driven in other setups... my one line comments would go as follows:

stock car - I'm floating on a cloud... how do you steer a cloud?
Anthony D's car - like stock, but we'll change that soon... psych!
my car with SHM - great balance, a little tiring on the neck on long rides tho..
bluetoy's car - feels like my car... a tad stiffer initial travel, slightly faster rebound.
meford's car - expansion joint! plug your ears and brace for impact!!!!
flo's car - fluffy tires soften the ride.. is that a crevasse? place your bets, intercooler or muffler scraping first.
2001_ZTS's car - hmmm... parking lot to garage.. hard to tell...
hardcore's car - can't tell as with 2001_ZTS's, but makes strange whining sound...
papa's car - rides like a freakin' saturn... oh wait, it is a saturn...

I'll be honest, I liked my car, and bluetoy's the best out of the bunch... sorry meford.. your car is pretty, but like a hot chick, it's a real ball breaker...

no offense, as suspension can be somewhat subjective (since nobody here has taken their car to the skidpad - except for mine - in January - on a not-so-reputable tv show).

I'm reppin the stock svt suspension for now... I have some apex springs and dampers.. but one is broken and apex dissapeared off the face of the earth.

so now i think i'll get some KYB AGX dampers and Eibach sways.
Pages: 1 2