FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: I Think My Rotors Are On Their Way Out...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'll be good for a few weeks yet to be sure, but the pulsing and noise (not grinding) under braking from almost all speeds is really starting to drive me insane.

So... what am I typically looking at for stockers vs something else reliable, like maybe Brembo blanks? Also, I'll be ordering up some EBC Green Stuff pads for sure.

As for the install, this ones outta my league. I'll have Stockfish Ford do the install as I don't have the time or even a garage / hoist of my own.

Suggested replacements are appreciated boys. :)
My zx5 2002 is stock....its my commuter car...i changed the original crappy rotors and pads at 50,000km...I replaced them with the ford motorcraft rotors and pads and are better than the factory installed. Not too much brake dust either...so far so good...im at 99,000kms and theres alot of meat still on the rotors and pads. I should be able to go at least another 10 to 15k. cross my fingers. Did it myself too!
Brakes are out of your leaugue?

Serious? Takes 30 minutes per side, an hour for your 1st time. Go look at your DIY mods list you created for the board. :P

Anyways.....

when I looked around for my set, the brembo blanks were actually cheaper than the Canadian Tire brand. Dont even bother going to Ford for the parts, they'll probably mark it up 800 % :rolleyes: . I honestly cant rememebr what i paid for them...

I'm running the Brembo blanks and KVR pads. Good combo, no complaints.
Flofocus,Jun 22 2005, 08:33 AM Wrote:Brakes are out of your leaugue?

Serious?  Takes 30 minutes per side, an hour for your 1st time.  Go look at your DIY mods list you created for the board.  :P

Anyways.....

when I looked around for my set, the brembo blanks were actually cheaper than the Canadian Tire brand.  Dont even bother going to Ford for the parts, they'll probably mark it up 800 %  :rolleyes: .  I honestly cant rememebr what i paid for them...

I'm running the Brembo blanks and KVR pads.  Good combo, no complaints.
[right][snapback]116090[/snapback][/right]

You wouldn't happen to remeber what a set like that set you back do you???
I think Anthony can get some deals on them....maybe $100/pair....

Look threw this thread.

http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/index.php...opic=9011&st=20
Thanks Flo.

I'm dissapointed you won;t be making it this weekend :(
I said they were out of my league because I won't lie when I say I've never done them before (rotors or pads) and I don't wanna dam up my brakes. It's not to say I won't attempt it, it's just another install I'll harass Oscar about so I can use the air impact and big floor jack at his place to make it easier. :P

I PMed Focused about pricing on the rotors and the pads.

We ought to be fine for a couple of weeks (ie after the end of the month), and if the pricing's right I'll order them the first week of July. :)

I just refuse to let anything really "brake" :P or wear out on this car... it's quite weird, I've never enjoyed owning a car like this before.

EDIT - this is a love/hate position, as it's a decent little "upgrade" but now I really gotta wait till the end of July for the UDP install. :(

Also, the braided steel brake lines over at Steeda.ca keep whispering to me. I think they're trying to tell me something.
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 22 2005, 08:20 AM Wrote:I'll be good for a few weeks yet to be sure, but the pulsing and noise (not grinding) under braking from almost all speeds is really starting to drive me insane.
[right][snapback]116088[/snapback][/right]

Dude you're rotors/drums may be warped. They may need to be turned back to trueness. WTF, why am I posting this, I'm coming over to your desk.
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 22 2005, 08:56 AM Wrote:Also, the braided steel brake lines over at Steeda.ca keep whispering to me. I think they're trying to tell me something.
[right][snapback]116101[/snapback][/right]

You can spend your money on better things IMO. ;)
Actually I talked to Oscar and he's going to talk to his Dad at lunch. He's a mechanic here in NB that does mainly engine rebuilds and also does brakes as well. We're going to see about turning the rotors first, maybe before the BBQ.

I'm stupid puzzled because the feeling was definitely there before we swapped the rims Monday night. We inspected the rotors (outside only so far by eye) and they were about as pristine as you can get for rotors I've seen in daily service.

I really gotta get under the front end sometime today (most likely after work) and see what's what with the other side of the rotors.

Nate - yeah, I know. Was just thinking that "while I'm down there..." :D
is it a vibration in the steering wheel when you hit the brakes? if so its most likely the rears that you need to change .. it used to be that you'd go through 2-3 sets of rears before you'd need to change the fronts

but now with the crappy brakes that come from the factory who knows what could happen