FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Help: Looking For A Car (not Immediate)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
a few weeks ago I got myself a new job paying a decent penny. Riding the TTC and Mississauga Transit to get to it is annoying, it doesn't matter what time I leave, I get to work late, I swear. Plus, having my Dad pick me up at 8:30pm after his long drive to Kitchener isn't really fair. So I thought a good cheap reliable car would be nice. Now the combination of cheap and reliable might not go hand and hand, but whatever... I just need ideas and places to look for deals. I've looked on autotrader to get an idea, seen a few things I liked, not sure on the market and how much one should pay.

So yeah, any points you have would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Aka,Jun 21 2005, 01:05 PM Wrote:a few weeks ago I got myself a new job paying a decent penny. Riding the TTC and Mississauga Transit to get to it is annoying, it doesn't matter what time I leave, I get to work late, I swear. Plus, having my Dad pick me up at 8:30pm after his long drive to Kitchener isn't really fair. So I thought a good cheap reliable car would be nice. Now the combination of cheap and reliable might not go hand and hand, but whatever... I just need ideas and places to look for deals. I've looked on autotrader to get an idea, seen a few things I liked, not sure on the market and how much one should pay.

So yeah, any points you have would be appreciated.

Thanks.
[right][snapback]115921[/snapback][/right]

Well, nothing really specific without knowing what things you're looking for.

IE: Good on gas, cheap ins., 4WD/FWD/RWD, whether you're willing to do any bodywork yourself, what options you have to have on the car.

Standard advice - Average mileage is 20,000/year anything wildly over/under that, approach with caution, only do a private sale if the seller can come up with a complete service history of the car, have any potential used car purchase inspected by a mechanic you trust, etc.

NefCanuck
Any time of brand of car you are looking for??

Auto, or manual??

how much are you willing to spend on the car itself??
What's wrong with the FoFo?
Its his dads... i remember him saying that in another thread.
scoobasteve,Jun 21 2005, 05:58 PM Wrote:Its his dads... i remember him saying that in another thread.
[right][snapback]116002[/snapback][/right]
Good Memory.

Want:
4WD/RWD
Manual
A/C would be nice, but unless it's raining I usually throw the windows down.
Sunroof
Decent Stereo/CD Player

Need:
1 Seat
Working Car

I don't know how to do any work on a car myself, and I feel bad about that. But the less I have to do the better, I don't have anywhere to do it but the parkinglot of my apartment, or if I went to a friends house, as some actually have their own driveways.

As for brand and cost... Under 10k definately, probably closer to 5-7k, and preferably not american, but doesn't matter much there.

Now my Dad says I should probably just get any cheap cheap cheap car I can right now, and save up for the car I really want later, perhaps he's right, but I'd atleast like something I'm not embarrassed to drive.

<goes back to 'working'>

Edited: added CD Player/stereo
AKA, i think i know someone who is selling an older gen Protege he used for a winter beater.

I'll find more details and let you know
*waits for more details*
1991 Mazda Protege LX Touring Edition, it's a 5spd, roughly 250k

Car runs well, starts right up. It comes eTested (valid until February 2006), and the following parts, brand new in boxes still: Tie Rod Ends, Ball Joints, Rear Drums and Shoes.

Just installed brand new front rotors and pads.
The front pads and rear shoes coem with a lifetime warranty through UAP/NAPA.

/EDIT: Also included are 4 all season tires on steelies and 4 winter tires on steelies.

NEW PRICE $800 or best offer!

I've PM the onwer to see if its still avalible and for more details.

I'll let you know more once i find out more.

Pics here Protege pics
I work at a dealership and have a few nice Focus' coming in. If you want pics, I can send them to you. Let me know.
Buy a moped its good on gas and you can manuvre around Toronto traffic.......but if you die dont blame me
Thanks Homer, a little older and more worn than I was thinking when you were talking about it on MSN.

As for ca_focus, as much as I like the Focus, I'd like to go for something a little different, I've driven a focus already, I want something new. Atleast that's what I'm thinking right now anyway.
Ok, so I thought about it, I think I can only scrounge up $5000 when I goto buy. And I suppose if needed, could grab a loan for a grand or two if for some reason I saw a really good car/deal @ $7000. Perhaps a bad idea I dunno.

Anyway, from a quick look at autotrader this limits me to Caveliers, Neons, Sunfires, and lots of Kias. Or older cars with ungoldy amounts of km apon them. None of which I'm all to crazy about. But I've seen some decent Caveliers and Sunfires... decent...

My Step Dad has bought his last few cars through a guy who goes to Auctions and such. Perhaps I'll look into that, but that requires me to know what I want. Plus I'm not sure if he'd find it worth it at all to buy a car for $5000 for someone.

In anycase... what do I want? Of the cars available for $5000 give or take, what's the best car to look for.
Burlington, Ontario, Canada has some GREAT promotions on 2005 Ford Focus'... that is how I got my baby. They having huge sales right now. Its about 260$, free repairs for four years, free BBQ, it is some sweet ride and THEY PAY FOR THE FIRST TWO MONTHS. Let me tell you! Its at the Terrance Ford on Walkers Ln and Havester Rd... check it out! GREAT DEAL! :D
lease?
how long?
how much down?
Four years repairs?
What do they cover with that?
I'd need to get more coverage on insurance wouldn't I?
How decent are like $3500-4000 Civics? Cuz sitting here at work with nothing to do, the idea crept into my head that perhaps if I bought something like that, threw some money at suspension and the motor, perhaps I'd have a half decent car that's perhaps fun to drive. Not sure how much suspension or engine stuff costs... but I figured if I had $1500-2000 to play with for that sorta thing, perhaps it could work.

Sound like a horrible idea? since I don't know how to do any more than change my oil....

(also feels like a ricer having thought of that...)

Noticed I can get a Focus for as low as $4000 used... but they don't advertise km.

Edit: that's a lie, they do advertise km... there's a 4-door sedan with 120k for $3999... automatic though :(
Aka,Jun 23 2005, 05:49 PM Wrote:lease?
how long?
how much down?
Four years repairs?
What do they cover with that?
I'd need to get more coverage on insurance wouldn't I?
[right][snapback]116734[/snapback][/right]

Mine's on a buy...
We paid 500 down, because we traded in my old car... whatever you wanna put down
Four years repairs are included, you have to ask and pay a little more
They cover EVERYTHING... even labour
My insurance is only 100$/month
7k cdn is like 5500 usd isnt it? you could get a swapped civic in decent shape for that much.
SangriaRedZX5,Jun 23 2005, 07:54 PM Wrote:Mine's on a buy...
We paid 500 down, because we traded in my old car... whatever you wanna put down
Four years repairs are included, you have to ask and pay a little more
They cover EVERYTHING... even labour
My insurance is only 100$/month
[right][snapback]116755[/snapback][/right]
Ah.. I have nothing to trade in. And I'd sorta like to drop a load of cash on a car and own it outright, so that I don't have to worry about payments. Just repairs I guess.

Also, how old are you if you don't mind me asking. Cuz I'm 21, and I don't think I'll get $100/month insurance...

7k CDN = 5,677.59 USD

however I was hoping that was a highest end price, if I saw a good deal. $5000 is more where I'd like to say, or less. $7k requires a loan or something, or a longer wait.
Oh yeah, I also heard that you have to pay GST even on used cars and private sales now. This true? cuz that sucks...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6