FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Im Buying My Next Car From The Us
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Man. Prices are so much cheaper and the cars go through much less. No snow!!! :D
The cars from Cali and Seattle are mint. I think Dan well vouch for this.

I dont think it would cost much either. Fly down one way and drive the car back. I know guys who did it. One of my buddies picked up a older Lexus for 5g US. How ever I never done it so I dont know the ins and outs. Some one well have to let me know.

used 2003 Focus SVTs go for about 8G down there. I know next car I get this is an option I well be looking into for sure. Not the SVT but about getting from the US.
Why do you think serious car collectors have been doing this for decades....

and secondly. why on earth would you look for an SVT anyway? :lol:
Don't forget your import duties and the fact that your speedometer will be in miles, not km/h... :P
You do get hit hard with border fees, re-certification here, etc but in the end, you still save ALOT. My old boss here collects cars (I think he's upwards of 25 now) and quite often takes trips to Palm Springs (Cali) to pick up a new ride, tow it back in this huge two car enclosed trailer he has.

I seen some of the fees and there not small but either way, your still saving ALOT.
Before the Dollar skyrocketed there was big money in transporting cars to the states. One of my uncles customers would export 5~15 vans and trucks there a week.
no it wouldnt be an svt. that just one of the cars I was using as an example.
ZX3TUNR,Jun 20 2005, 12:31 PM Wrote:no it owuldnt be an svt. that just one of the cars I was using as an example.
[right][snapback]115677[/snapback][/right]
javascript:emoticon('B)')
Import an EVO... haha
scoobasteve,Jun 20 2005, 04:27 PM Wrote:Import an EVO... haha
[right][snapback]115707[/snapback][/right]

you don't really want an EVO or any mitsubishi for that matter... unless of course you want to see what a truly poorly built car looks like. The fit and finish is akin to SVT Dean's body kit all over the place
interesting.....

late 80's, early 90's 911's go for 5k-8k cheaper than here.....

hmmmmmm :huh:
I find it interesting that a bunch of people with practically new cars are all talking about how their next car is going to be old and cheap.

My next car is going to come from a dealership.
When I was in Reno in April, I saw SO MANY mint cars... I'd drive back from Reno, NV just because of the selection and condition.

This one 66 Stang vert, absolutely MINT, drove by us on the freeway... it looked like it just came off the showroom floor, but it was clearly a DAILY DRIVER.
darkpuppet,Jun 21 2005, 08:37 AM Wrote:I find it interesting that a bunch of people with practically new cars are all talking about how their next car is going to be old and cheap.

[right][snapback]115818[/snapback][/right]

After the focus...

I'm NEVER buying new again.

plus...1990 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 would be sweet in my driveway. :D
darkpuppet,Jun 21 2005, 08:37 AM Wrote:I find it interesting that a bunch of people with practically new cars are all talking about how their next car is going to be old and cheap.

[right][snapback]115818[/snapback][/right]

Funny ain't it. :lol:

I was thinking the same thing. :rolleyes:
I'll go new or a year or two old. I want either a cobra, G35 or Altima SE-R
Have you though about this, to bring a car from the US you have to pay duty fees which might be a little bit. and inspection from wherever your going to drive it. and the cost of the car is in US funds, duty fees in US Funds, and transportation cost if you don't drive it up to canada.
FocusGuy7476,Jun 22 2005, 01:40 PM Wrote:Have you though about this, to bring a car from the US you have to pay duty fees which might be a little bit. and inspection from wherever your going to drive it. and the cost of the car is in US funds, duty fees in US Funds, and transportation cost if you don't drive it up to canada.
[right][snapback]116172[/snapback][/right]

not to mention getting it modified for licensing in canada (read km instead of miles, pass safety inspections, certifications, etc.).. not to mention lack of block heaters, and other canadian necessities.
I went thru all that.......
CDN $182 duty fee
check first if the car is allowed to come to Canada...most are.
Inspection to get approved its free
then safety test and emmisions
the plate is only 50 bucks...that was all the money I paid for the focus.!

I've been thinking on doing it again...the only thing that sucks its I still pay my car in the states...and yes I allowed to bring it up here....also, if you have an address in the US you can keep your insurance from them..!!!
they will license you with the american insurance!

p/s...the only thing is, you cant sell it before 1 year!!!

I'm savin' them pennies and going EVO VIII hunting!

EVO owners > me.

That or a sweet Skyline. Why must my ultimate must-have cars be so damn hard to service and afford?
Speaking of US cars... are we ever getting the 05 Pontiac GTO?