FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: F1 Fiasco - Who's To Blame?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If you have no idea what I'm talking about:

The story here courtesy of TSN

Personally I think that the FIA is to blame. There's no reason they couldn't have made a concession to allow Michelin to ship new tires to the 7 of 10 teams competing with unsafe rubber... nor is there any reason for them to have denied the installation of a chicane if they were making the drivers use the bad rubber...
"Who's to blame for the Indy disaster?"

what?
To actually reply, I think it's a combination.

Michelin shouldn't have had unsafe tires.
FIA should have let them ALL change tires, bridgestone included, that way there's no advantage.

Also, had no one agreed, the cars should have all changed tires, started the race, even if they got black flagged, just continue. Who's going to stop them? they certainly aren't going to go jump out in front of an F1 car to stop them. Then let them argue all they want after the race.

Ok maybe a bad idea... but really there should have been some compromise.

I understand the fact that they didn't want to put a chicane in, it's sort of unfair.

But really the best solution would have been to just let everyone change their tires.

Also another question, does this race still count on their engines? because this would have been the first race on most of them, and BARs second race. Does BAR get to change their engines?

Edit: Also, I understand everyones anger at the track, but wtf don't throw crap on the track when people are racing. That's just plain stupid!
I can understand not wating to bend the rules, because it leaves the door open for further bending, or attempts therein. BUt for what seems like what was a very large safety concern affecting so many cars. I mkean the majority of rules are for safety and fairness, if so many teams are on proven unsafe tires, why force them to race? Let all teams change tires, no matter what brand, for this one race only and you maintain both the safety and fairness of this one race, and create much less of a debacle.
Play the ball as it lays.
Personally I blame the FIA for not being flexible enough with the rules that they would not allow the Michelin teams to use the tires they flew in the previous day from France. Also note that the 3 teams that raced the US GP are the only ones that are backing the F1 championship against the proposed breakaway series lead by the 7 teams that did not race yesterday. Next I blame Ferrrari they were the only team not to agree to the chicane being installed and the race could have continued with all the teams present and we could have had a race with all the teams present and accounted for, wich would mean that Ferrari would have got there ass's handed to them again has they know that on a equal footing the best they can do this year is to try to keep up with Williams or maybe even Toyota because McLaren and Renault are just a league above Ferrari this season.

Laterz :)
Aka,Jun 20 2005, 12:59 AM Wrote:Michelin shouldn't have had unsafe tires.
[right][snapback]115565[/snapback][/right]

yep.
Raine,Jun 20 2005, 12:33 AM Wrote:If you have no idea what I'm talking about:

The story here courtesy of TSN

Personally I think that the FIA is to blame. There's no reason they couldn't have made a concession to allow Michelin to ship new tires to the 7 of 10 teams competing with unsafe rubber... nor is there any reason for them to have denied the installation of a chicane if they were making the drivers use the bad rubber...
[right][snapback]115563[/snapback][/right]

I'd have to lay the blame at FIA's feet here. As soon as they were made aware that there was a problem, it was their duty as the sanctioning organization for the race to come up with a solution that the majority of the teams could live with and race with.

FIA should refund the racegoers money and not hide behind weasel words like "We will review the situation and then decide on a course of action"

Say What? :blink: you caused this fiasco FIA, you get to deal with it. If any team then refused to agree to the compromise that the majority went with? Screw them, this is about pulling off a race safely, not pandering to one or two holdouts. <_<

NefCanuck
K_OS,Jun 20 2005, 08:22 AM Wrote:Ferrari would have got there ass's handed to them again[right][snapback]115586[/snapback][/right]
I disagree, the Ferrari's are competitive in the race, just horrible at qualifying. I wouldn't call it getting their ass handed to them, not at all. Did you watch the Montreal Grand Prix? (I think) where Rubins went from dead last to like 3rd?

Hardly getting his ass handed to him. If anything he murdered everyone else.

Edit: Also, remember Ferrari had tire trouble in the beginning and no one cared. Ferrari was right to disagree.
Flofocus,Jun 20 2005, 08:41 AM Wrote:
Aka,Jun 20 2005, 12:59 AM Wrote:Michelin shouldn't have had unsafe tires.
[right][snapback]115565[/snapback][/right]

yep.
[right][snapback]115600[/snapback][/right]

Agreed.
Aka,Jun 20 2005, 09:11 AM Wrote:I disagree, the Ferrari's are competitive in the race, just horrible at qualifying. I wouldn't call it getting their ass handed to them, not at all. Did you watch the Montreal Grand Prix? (I think) where Rubins went from dead last to like 3rd?

Hardly getting his ass handed to him. If anything he murdered everyone else.

Edit: Also, remember Ferrari had tire trouble in the beginning and no one cared. Ferrari was right to disagree.
[right][snapback]115610[/snapback][/right]

they are competitive but they are not the Ferrari of the last few seasons they are constantly fighting for 3rd or 4th but not the win and with 7 DNF's this season they're package is not as reliable as previous seasons either.

As for the Canadian GP Ferrari had there 2nd and 3rd places handed to them on a platter when Alonso, Fisichela and Montoya dropped out or got black flagged otherwise Ferrari's true places would have been much further down the time sheets where they belong unfortunately racing is racing and anything can happen so in the end Ferrari got 2nd and 3rd, as for Rubens he had a brilliant strategy to go from last to 3rd but there were allot of DNF's so he got lucky there as well.

First, of all I don't feel sorry for anyone except the fans who paid good money.

Second, of all the whole rule about running the entire weekend on one set of tires is complete bullshit for a safety concern.

Thirdly, when the first ten races were done and Ferrari had to race on inferior tires, everything was fine, but now that the shoes on the other foot there's a problem!
i didn't read the TSN site .. but from what i've heard .. the changes were made to the track some 5 months or so ago .. and michelin new about it but decided not to deal with the problem .. on the other hand bridgestone made the proper changes to there tires and didn't have a single problem

Michelin is to blame for this one
Sure am glad I didn't go this year! Indianapolis track sucks, almost as much as the county sheriffs they import for the event and think they own the world. I can only handle a turkey leg once every five years anyway.

Who's to blame? All of them. Too much politics involved and no brains.

But I do miss the Sonic drive in dinner.
K_OS,Jun 20 2005, 08:59 PM Wrote:they are competitive but they are not the Ferrari of the last few seasons they are constantly fighting for 3rd or 4th but not the win and with 7 DNF's this season they're package is not as reliable as previous seasons either.

As for the Canadian GP Ferrari had there 2nd and 3rd places handed to them on a platter when Alonso, Fisichela and Montoya dropped out or got black flagged otherwise Ferrari's true places would have been much further down the time sheets where they belong unfortunately racing is racing and anything can happen so in the end Ferrari got 2nd and 3rd, as for Rubens he had a brilliant strategy to go from last to 3rd but there were allot of DNF's so he got lucky there as well.

[right][snapback]115757[/snapback][/right]
I believe there's a quote that goes "That's why they run the race." I don't think it was handed to them at all, they managed to get to the end, Alonso and Montoya failed to do so, that's not handing away anything, they just screwed up, s**t happens.
Aka,Jun 21 2005, 02:42 AM Wrote:I believe there's a quote that goes "That's why they run the race." I don't think it was handed to them at all, they managed to get to the end, Alonso and Montoya failed to do so, that's not handing away anything, they just screwed up, s**t happens.
[right][snapback]115806[/snapback][/right]

and I agree s**t does happen and that is motor racing I've seen it happen all the time from GT to F1 to WRC.

Quote:Second, of all the whole rule about running the entire weekend on one set of tires is complete bullshit for a safety concern.

Agreed one of the dumbest rules that the FIA has ever agreed to, the least they could do is bring back slick tires not that by the end of the race the grooved tires are practically slicks anyways.

Also of note on tire safety and Michelin they received a letter from the FIA after Kimi's accident in Spain not to sacrifice safety for performance in the spec of there tires.