FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Manual Tranny Oil Change
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello Everybody.
I just joined your forum and I found a lot of answers to some questions that I had. I'm wondering if somebody can tell me when / how do you change your manual tranny oil and if I can do this on my own. I have ramps in my garage to get the car up. Last question is what fluid would you recommend?
Thanks a lot. By the way I have 115km on my 2000 ZX3.
Prez.
:hi:

When I was asking the guys here about changing my tranny fluid, they informed me of a couple things:

1. There's a filter you have to change
2. If you want it done right, it's better to send it in, because they flush and vacuum the system before adding new oil.
I don't think there is a filter on the manual tranny that is only on the auto. Plus with the auto I think you have to lower the pan and it is a pita. Plus you have to make sure all the fluid flows through, more task and time consuming.

The manual seems easier I planned to do mine, but my clutch went and they changed it out at that time, basically take out the drain plug, let fluid out, replace, and fill.

i'm thinking about changing my tranny fluid too, i read the owners manual and it doesn't specify that it needs a certian type of filter for the SVTF tranny fluids, it only says use a certian type of oil. but besides that point, i already bought some GM synchomesh tranny fluid, i hear it's one of the best out there, it's just waiting to be put in after i bring my baby in for some service.
Make sure that the tranny fluid is safe to use on the tranny. I'm not too sure but the SVT fluid may be the lifetime fluid stuff that BMW uses on the transmissions.
Save the headaches and have someone do it for you.

It looks like a pain in the a$$ to do yourself.
The Man-tran oil change is as easy as changing your oil. from what i remember there are 2 plugs. one to fill and one to drain.

scoobasteve,Jun 20 2005, 04:19 PM Wrote:The Man-tran oil change is as easy as changing your oil.  from what i remember there are 2 plugs. one to fill and one to drain.
[right][snapback]115674[/snapback][/right]

Thats correct - just open the fill plug first. If you drain the fluid out and find you cannot open the fill plug - you're *ucked :angry: I'm sure this happended to some people ? Its a good tip though.
Thanks guys. I appreciate the tips and replies. I have a friend at Meadowvale Ford who I'm gonna call to see if there is a filter involved in this. I had my clutch changed 50k ago under warranty cause my tranny was making a rattling noise in neutral idle. I understand its no big deal though. By the way, the clutch change did not get rid of the noise. I just crank my stereo volume to get rid of it now... :D. My second question is: when you change the clutch do they change the tranny oil as well?
There is no filter.

1) get a 8mm(or 10mm don't remember) Hex key
2) there is 2 plug on the tranny, one facing the front(fill plug) and one facing the rear(drain plug). Make you lose the fill plug.
3) Pull the drain plug and release the oil.
4) get a funnel attach a 3ft tube with it.
5) close drain plug and open fill plug
6) fill 2.1L of oil using the funnel(or keep filling till over load on a level surface)
7) close fill plug.
done.

I personally don't like ford tranny oil but it is your choice.