FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Turbo Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey as we all know the focus isnt a really cheap car on gas. I was wondering what putting a turbo in has do for every one on gas costs.
I find it's a great car on gas, and the svt is supposed to have the worst milage of the focus line-up. I guess with FI if you stay out of it and have a light foot it won't be much worse but if you step into it more (and when you go FI you'll be more inclined to do so) you'll pay at the pump.
Im in the ZX4 SE. I dont get great gas all the time as I drive my car like a normal teen. Probably get 350 to 425 a tank.

So far I have a ram air intake and I just put a set of NGK Iridium plugs at .60 in and I love how it runs.

But you didnt actually answer my question. I need to know how much it will hurt what I get. Any one who could tell me before the turbo and after the turbo per tank would really help me out.
With forced induction, my km/tank has dropped about 50km. :(

It is also costing me more as I am using 93 octane versus 87. :o

The fun factor is definitely up. :)

But you gotta pay to play...
before i got the Powerworks kit i was getting 300-350/tank becuase i do 99% city and am pretty lead footed, plus i heal-toe all the time.
after the blower i get about the same, maybe a bit less but that is just because more air in requires more fuel. on the highway, i seem to get around the same if not slightly better mileage.

Before Turbo,

87 octane, 500km/tank.

After turbo

94 Octane, 500-525km/tank.
Before I got my new TB and Hi-Flow Intake, I had about 550-600kms/tank. Most driving at 120-130 km/h. Now, after the install, I get like 675kms/tank, driving at around 130-140km/h. If I stuck around 120km/h, the mileage would be over 700kms/tank.

Turbos are nice, but work first on the intake/exhaust before FI.
if you aren't boosting all the time i don't think going FI should affect your mileage at all.. you will get hit harder by having to use 93 instead of 87 though
If the cost of gas and your mileage is your concern FI wouldn't be the option for you IMO. Its like buying a Magnum with the HEMI and being worried about your gas mileage.
Blackzx3,Jun 20 2005, 03:16 AM Wrote:If the cost of gas and your mileage is your concern FI wouldn't be the option for you IMO.  Its like buying a Magnum with the HEMI and being worried about your gas mileage.
[right][snapback]115545[/snapback][/right]

See now Ben put this alot nicer than I would. Who gives a crap about gas mileage when your thowing down hard and having a joy ride.
Oscar The Grouch,Jun 19 2005, 09:41 PM Wrote:Before I got my new TB and Hi-Flow Intake, I had about 550-600kms/tank.  Most driving at 120-130 km/h.  Now, after the install, I get like 675kms/tank, driving at around 130-140km/h.  If I stuck around 120km/h, the mileage would be over 700kms/tank.

Turbos are nice, but work first on the intake/exhaust before FI.
[right][snapback]115526[/snapback][/right]

This is where I envy the SPI!

My gas milage hasn't changed really, I find that on the highway I have to downshift less often to pass, etc because the power is there in 5th.

fuel economy has got to be the last thing on your mind when going FI......
If there are any gains to be had with fi, the fact that you are required running higher octane fuel pretty much elimantes any gains you expect. Horsepower doesn't come cheap.
42lb injectors + premium 91 - 94 octane or even 100 at the track = $$$$ bling bling.
Since its turbo to you will want to drive it faster now and that means using more gas.

How ever if you can afford boost the price of gas should be your least worry.

Even with just my intake, udps, tb, exhaust with flex and race header, + bigger 18" rims I noticed my gas milage going down hill. As long as its not costing me $70-100 to fill up my tank im happy.