FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Dyna Matted My Trunk.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
As I was saying in another thread, our friend Microbunny stopped by and helped me add a little more substance to the trunk of my car.

With the stereo, I had a trunk that sounded like I was dragging tin cans around and quite frankly, I thought it was ghetto to the max.

So I added about 4 sq. feet of lead dead padding to the underside of my trunk.

This did 3 things.

1. Made my trunk close like a freakin' Bently. Man! It added just that right amount of weight to the door that it simulates a bank vault when I open and close it. Nice!

2. Cut down the vibrations to the point where I can't hear any buzzing at all from inside the car. Absolutely none. (After some investigating, we were able to get the spoiler to stop dancing.)

3. Made the sound from my sub a little bit cleaner.

I highly recomend anyone with any audio to do this. Especially the guys with Sedans
(blow me MEFORD) <_<

Thanks Paul.
previous owner added dynamat to the back of my teg.. i don't think it works very well.. i still hear a ton of road noise (or maybe that just goes to show how little sound proofing there is in the rest of the car)

i'm gonna yank out that dead weight next chance i get.. glad to hear it worked for you though
Yeah, I can see it not working well in hatchs unless you do the WHOLE car.

With sedans though, the trunk is just a can of coffe beans that amplifies while going down the road. I'm curious to see how the mat knocks down the horendous road noise these wheels make.
i've totally given up on trying to eliminate road noise.. azenis sport, oe sport springs and 15yr old honda hatch.. no chance for peace and quiet for me
ANTHONYD,Jun 19 2005, 01:45 AM Wrote:With sedans though, the trunk is just a can of coffee beans
[right][snapback]115319[/snapback][/right]

you said it all right there buddy!

Couldn't of said it better myself!
I was told by many audio guru's that adding dynamat in a hatch makes it worse, Apparently hatch's sound better without sound deadening.
MAlby7,Jun 19 2005, 01:31 AM Wrote:I was told by many audio guru's that adding dynamat in a hatch makes it worse,  Apparently hatch's sound better without sound deadening.
[right][snapback]115343[/snapback][/right]

That funny, cause my hatch sounded like s**t till I lined it....
microbunny,Jun 19 2005, 01:37 AM Wrote:
MAlby7,Jun 19 2005, 01:31 AM Wrote:I was told by many audio guru's that adding dynamat in a hatch makes it worse,  Apparently hatch's sound better without sound deadening.

[right][snapback]115344[/snapback][/right]

I forgot to point out that sound is subjective. Deaf people will tell you that jensen and sony make unbelieveable car audio!
MAlby7,Jun 19 2005, 01:40 AM Wrote:
microbunny,Jun 19 2005, 01:37 AM Wrote:

[right][snapback]115344[/snapback][/right]

I forgot to point out that sound is subjective. Deaf people will tell you that jensen and sony make unbelieveable car audio!
[right][snapback]115346[/snapback][/right]

LOL

all I know is that my car doesnt buzz or rattle and its still friggin loud and crisp inside...ask anthony...he has felt the wrath of my stereo
Jensen's audio is better than most people give it credit for.

But I'm not a believer in Dynamat...
Raine,Jun 19 2005, 01:48 AM Wrote:Jensen's audio is better than most people give it credit for.

But I'm not a believer in Dynamat...
[right][snapback]115348[/snapback][/right]

Spoken like a true rattley-hatch owner!!

Seriosuly though, to each there own but, I can't see how people don't notice the huge difference that dead-lining makes. For the sake of this thread too, we used Cascade dead-liner rather than 'Dynamat' brand but, regardless it sounds like day&night difference.....
My car sounded good with no dynamat n stuff ... I solved rattles with my hammer... =)

There was definate change though I noticed when I took off the back hatch cover thing ... dynamics of the bass changed... cant remember which I liked better.

tdot-zx3,Jun 19 2005, 02: Wrote:My car sounded good with no dynamat n stuff ... I solved rattles with my hammer... =)

There was definate change though I noticed when I took off the back hatch cover thing ... dynamics of the bass changed... cant remember which I liked better.
[right][snapback]115353[/snapback][/right]

Which piece..? The black plastic trim? Or the whole hatch skin!!?
hmm.. someone gimme a 'sanity check' i thought the nakamichi setup in the 1st gen LS400 was a great sounding audio system

is it actually good or do i need some time sitting in a car with a 'real' stereo
naz,Jun 19 2005, 02:41 AM Wrote:hmm.. someone gimme a 'sanity check'  i thought the nakamichi setup in the 1st gen LS400 was a great sounding audio system

is it actually good or do i need some time sitting in a car with a 'real' stereo
[right][snapback]115365[/snapback][/right]

HUH^^^ :huh:
The hatch cover that covers the top part of the hatch that flips up when you open the hatch.

If you took the subs and flipped the box to aim up .. and took that piece off .. the dynamics completely changed.
Dynomat is a waste. Its to expensive. I use Foam insolation and I tighten eveything in the car. Im rattle free inside.... The ass end outside isnt too bad. Trunk make's a bit of noise and my rear Quarter panels Vibrate in and out with the air flow but other then that its all good.
bunny ... how much to dynamate my hatch .. the area that tdot is talking about? maybe we can do it at the bbq if you wouldn't mind?
schade,Jun 19 2005, 10:19 PM Wrote:bunny ... how much to dynamate my hatch .. the area that tdot is talking about?  maybe we can do it at the bbq if you wouldn't mind?
[right][snapback]115523[/snapback][/right]

Depends..

dynamat, gatorskin, cascade....etc are all virtually the same. You gotta look around for deals...like 2 for 1 wedge-packs of dynamat extreme, don't get the licence plate kits either, you can just cut out a piece from bigger sheets and it'll be the same without paying for the 'kit'.

I got all my hatch done, inside, behind the inner skin, some sidewall, and the complete underside of the sun shade cover for under $80.00!!

May seem like alot and some people have their own opinions....but I think deadlining your rear end is extremely effective and totally worth the cost!! Even if you dont believe me..listen to my car next week and listen to anthonys sedan and you'll see what sound deadener does for you!!

In the meantime...if you are willing to buy some, get it, bring it, and I'll be more than happy to help anyone line their cars.

Also, some expandable insulation foam does wonders for the areas your hands just will not fit into..

right now on ebay.ca I see a few auction for 50-sq. ft of deadliner and roller for $73.00

another one for 100sq.ft is 119.00

one for dynamat brand 36 sq.ft is $100

and ask anthony...we used 4 sq ft on his trunk and covered the whole thing virtually...

liner doesnt have to be Dynamat brand, or cascade, there are alot of deals out there on 'no-name' deadener that is the exact same material..

buy a lot of 50 or 10 sq ft and sell it and 10 people could do there cars

Also, fabric land or most craft stores will sell jumbo bags of cotton stuffing for pillows and such...get a bag for like $5.00 and you got yourself enough cheap stuffing to jam inside the hatch area behind the carpets..

hella cheap..
microbunny,Jun 19 2005, 10:27 PM Wrote:
schade,Jun 19 2005, 10:19 PM Wrote:bunny ... how much to dynamate my hatch .. the area that tdot is talking about?  maybe we can do it at the bbq if you wouldn't mind?
[right][snapback]115523[/snapback][/right]

Depends..

dynamat, gatorskin, cascade....etc are all virtually the same. You gotta look around for deals...like 2 for 1 wedge-packs of dynamat extreme, don't get the licence plate kits either, you can just cut out a piece from bigger sheets and it'll be the same without paying for the 'kit'.

I got all my hatch done, inside, behind the inner skin, some sidewall, and the complete underside of the sun shade cover for under $80.00!!

May seem like alot and some people have their own opinions....but I think deadlining your rear end is extremely effective and totally worth the cost!! Even if you dont believe me..listen to my car next week and listen to anthonys sedan and you'll see what sound deadener does for you!!

In the meantime...if you are willing to buy some, get it, bring it, and I'll be more than happy to help anyone line their cars.

Also, some expandable insulation foam does wonders for the areas your hands just will not fit into..

right now on ebay.ca I see a few auction for 50-sq. ft of deadliner and roller for $73.00

another one for 100sq.ft is 119.00

one for dynamat brand 36 sq.ft is $100

and ask anthony...we used 4 sq ft on his trunk and covered the whole thing virtually...

liner doesnt have to be Dynamat brand, or cascade, there are alot of deals out there on 'no-name' deadener that is the exact same material..

buy a lot of 50 or 10 sq ft and sell it and 10 people could do there cars

Also, fabric land or most craft stores will sell jumbo bags of cotton stuffing for pillows and such...get a bag for like $5.00 and you got yourself enough cheap stuffing to jam inside the hatch area behind the carpets..

hella cheap..
[right][snapback]115525[/snapback][/right]

All good tips.

I lucked out though... my trunk has a carpet liner on the lid so once I reinstalled that, it looks like we weren't even in there.

I'll be happy to show you at the BBQ.
Pages: 1 2