FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: What Causes This?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Alright guys, see if you can follow me here.

The car has been acting a little strange lately.

On Thurday night, I noticed the key fob wouldn't open my doors. I pressed the button numerous times, and nothing happened. I then opened the car door with the key. Then the car wouldn't start. Not turning over, no click, no light no nothing....

I then held both buttons down on the keyfob until I heard the 3 clicks. (meaning the fob was reprogramed) And now the car started. However, I had to reset all my presets on my stereo. :blink:

It did it again Friday night, and again this afternoon with Microbunny. :blink:

I have to hold the key fob buttons down in order to get the car to start.... This makes no sence. It only does it occationally. I'm usually pretty good at figuring out what causes my problems, but this one has me stumped.

I noticed one of the posts on my battery has a little bit of corrosion (hardly any). The battery reads green in the liqiid hole on the top.... Umm idunno.

I just don't want this to become a daily occorance. I don't like having to reset the stereo every time I get in the car.

Has any of this happened to any of you???
How old is that battery? I'd suspect it first because of the radio forgetting itself like that... Did you notice any weirdness with the odometer/trip computer as well?

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Jun 18 2005, 09:33 PM Wrote:How old is that battery?  I'd suspect it first because of the radio forgetting itself like that...  Did you notice any weirdness with the odometer/trip computer as well?

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]115312[/snapback][/right]

You see. that's thing.... that stuff is fine too.

I think the battery may be on the way out. I've had to have this car boosted several times from listening to the stereo while washing the car. I can't leave the lights on for a long time without the car running.

Anyone ever install a timer on their lights?
ANTHONYD,Jun 18 2005, 09:37 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Jun 18 2005, 09:33 PM Wrote:How old is that battery?  I'd suspect it first because of the radio forgetting itself like that...  Did you notice any weirdness with the odometer/trip computer as well?

NefCanuck

I think the battery may be on the way out. I've had to have this car boosted several times from listening to the stereo while washing the car. I can't leave the lights on for a long time without the car running.

[right][snapback]115314[/snapback][/right]

When you have to boost the car after listening to the stereo without the car running that's definately a good warning to replace the battery (Unless you were listening to the radio for 6 hours or something)

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Jun 18 2005, 09:40 PM Wrote:

NefCanuck

When you have to boost the car after listening to the stereo without the car running that's definately a good warning to replace the battery (Unless you were listening to the radio for 6 hours or something)

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]115316[/snapback][/right]

True. What's a battery cost anyway? :blink: :lol:
ohh that depends on your connections. Myself I can get a brand new 660cca battery for 100$ with 5yr warrenty. Ohh yah I do have that. Bought it for my topaz, in winter but then I got the focus in spring so I have a spare battery for now.
ANTHONYD,Jun 18 2005, 09:46 PM Wrote:

NefCanuck

NefCanuck

[right][snapback]115320[/snapback][/right]

Depends on where you go, I used Costco the last time I needed a battery, sub $100 and no hassles. Hell, if you want and there's a Costco near you, I could come early and we could go get a new battery if you don't have a membership yourself.

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Jun 18 2005, 10:08 PM Wrote:
ANTHONYD,Jun 18 2005, 09:46 PM Wrote:

NefCanuck

NefCanuck

[right][snapback]115320[/snapback][/right]

Depends on where you go, I used Costco the last time I needed a battery, sub $100 and no hassles. Hell, if you want and there's a Costco near you, I could come early and we could go get a new battery if you don't have a membership yourself.

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]115326[/snapback][/right]

Thanks, I have a membership already, I'm going to look into getting a test done on it and see if it needs to be replaced.

Does anyone know the type (size) etc of battery the Focus takes? I'd like to price them out here at work.
CDN tire will replace them for free.

But if you play the stereo with the car off. definatley go with an optima. Zoom might still have some for sale.
scoobasteve,Jun 20 2005, 10:19 AM Wrote:CDN tire will replace them for free.

But if you play the stereo with the car off. definatley go with an optima. Zoom might still have some for sale.
[right][snapback]115615[/snapback][/right]

I won;t play the stereo without the car running anymore. I look like such an idiot in the drivway boosting my car.

Plus Jen's tercel won't put out enough juice to boost my car :lol:
i'd go witht he optima anyways .. for the extra $25-50 it costs its well worth it

and before you spend all that money on a battery .. take it to a canadian tire or parts source .. they well usually test your batter and charging system for free.

Doesn't the focus have battery rundown protection? I thought it did
schade,Jun 20 2005, 07:29 PM Wrote:i'd go witht he optima anyways .. for the extra $25-50 it costs its well worth it

and before you spend all that money on a battery .. take it to a canadian tire or parts source .. they well usually test your batter and charging system for free.

Doesn't the focus have battery rundown protection?  I thought it did
[right][snapback]115729[/snapback][/right]

This might be why the car starts, but I have to reset my stereo.

Pain in the butt.
a new ford battery is $109 it has a 36 month free replacement and a 100 month pro-rated warranty if anybody was interested.