FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: The Power Of An Airbag
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is just crazy. Makes you think "what if that actually hit me in the face"

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/airbag.html
ouch!
yeah I can vouch for that, they come out real quick!!! even though the accident was in slow motion up until I got out of the car.
Been hit in the face with an airbag 2 times and 1 time in the stomach..

All times left no scratches.. Weird.
They had a right up in the paper the other day about ppl with peircings and getting an air bag in the face. Guess the lip ring is getting ripped out if something ever happpens.

Any way I remember last time I took the SPI Focus air bag in the face. Ih man was it fast. Did more harm then anything. It seriosly felt like someone punching me in the face. Nose was bleeding and face swollen for a week.
I got one in the face in Bahamas at a baseball tournament. Bruised the s**t out of my arms, and cheeks.
Raine,Jun 17 2005, 12:04 AM Wrote:This is just crazy. Makes you think "what if that actually hit me in the face"

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/airbag.html
[right][snapback]114905[/snapback][/right]

I took an airbag in the face in late '99 from a '95 Olds Ciera (This was before they were depowered) It was like getting a Mike Tyson punch IN HIS PRIME but no brusing, scars or anything from the bag or its discharge. In fact my glasses weren't even broken (They did end up in the back seat though)

I wonder if the type of accident has anything to do with how much damage the bag has the potential to do? Mine was a double rollover, bag deployed on the second impact :huh:

NefCanuck
Think about it for a second. If you're travelling at 100kph and hit something. That bag goes off at say 100kph.... you're getting hit with 200kmh worth of energy no?

I don';t care who you are.... you're gonna feel that!
ANTHONYD,Jun 17 2005, 11:03 AM Wrote:Think about it for a second. If you're travelling at 100kph and hit something. That bag goes off at say 100kph.... you're getting hit with 200kmh worth of energy no?

[right][snapback]114996[/snapback][/right]

Not exactly as the formula goes: Force = Mass X Acceleration

IOW both the speed you're traveling *&* the mass of the object you're riding in have an effect on how hard a hit you're gonna take when you meet the onrushing airbag after the impact (However the impact itself should partially absorb the kinetic energy of the car in motion as the car will do *some* crumpling before the bag goes off, not a lot, but some nonetheless)

NefCanuck
Wow, 1st gen airbags are scary. I wanna disable the one in the acclaim now.
NefCanuck,Jun 17 2005, 11:11 AM Wrote:
ANTHONYD,Jun 17 2005, 11:03 AM Wrote:Think about it for a second. If you're travelling at 100kph and hit something. That bag goes off at say 100kph.... you're getting hit with 200kmh worth of energy no?

IOW both the speed you're traveling *&* the mass of the object you're riding in have an effect on how hard a hit you're gonna take when you meet the onrushing airbag after the impact (However the impact itself should partially absorb the kinetic energy of the car in motion as the car will do *some* crumpling before the bag goes off, not a lot, but some nonetheless)

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]115000[/snapback][/right]

But it still smarts. :huh:
scoobasteve,Jun 17 2005, 12:22 PM Wrote:Wow,  1st gen airbags are scary. I wanna disable the one in the acclaim now.
[right][snapback]115016[/snapback][/right]

Nah, as long as you aren't the type of driver that needs to sit extremely close to the airbag, it's all good. My mom has a first gen airbag on her '95 Crapalier Coupe. However she's 4' nothing and so sits very close to the airbag, always make me nervous when I think about it <_<

Me in my Focus? At 6'1" and long arms and legs I'm about as far back as it gets :D

NefCanuck
ANTHONYD,Jun 17 2005, 01:30 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Jun 17 2005, 11:11 AM Wrote:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]115000[/snapback][/right]

But it still smarts. :huh:
[right][snapback]115048[/snapback][/right]

Don't see me disagreeing there, like I said Iron Mike Tyson in his prime in my face. Not what I look forward to dealing with ever again. What actually hurt more and left marks was the seatbelt across my chest. Had the burn marks on my chest for over a week while in the hospital and they hurt like a SOB! :angry:

NefCanuck
Sometimes I look at people driving who sit with their elbows bent at about 90* sitting just a foot or so away from the wheel... the same people that cause accidents because your ability to steer is severely compromised when driving like that... anyway I've always said one day I'll just drop kick the front of their car when stopped at a light or something, and set the airbag off... teach em to sit so close to the wheel.
Raine,Jun 17 2005, 03:42 PM Wrote:Sometimes I look at people driving who sit with their elbows bent at about 90* sitting just a foot or so away from the wheel... the same people that cause accidents because your ability to steer is severely compromised when driving like that... anyway I've always said one day I'll just drop kick the front of their car when stopped at a light or something, and set the airbag off... teach em to sit so close to the wheel.
[right][snapback]115098[/snapback][/right]
you better not *@#$ kick my car. Im 6 foot, but for some reason i like driving really close to the wheel, kinda like a NASCAR driver does, but my elbows aren't bent at 90* and i got total sterring control from there. I guess i sit so close so i can be closer to the action, i feel like i cant drive as good when im way back in the seat, i feel like i lose some reaction time, only like a billionth of a second but that time counts :unsure:
i've blown like 300 airbags in a day (talk about headache) its fun tho, blow off 5 or six at time, PASSENGER side ones are fun. i have a lincoln one and just the explosion piece from a 95 mustang to play with still