FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: New Parts, New Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I get a call from the office today (yes I had the day off) saying that my new parts from Steeda were in. So I go get em, come home and take a look at what needs to be done.

Here's what I got today:

FC SPI TB 60mm (what a bitch to put on)
Steeda Hi-Flow Intake (Chrome, not blue like I asked)
Blue Strut Tower Bar (don't ask why its blue, it probably will be painted gold later on)
Shorty Antenna (Didn't see that one coming but thanks Paul)

So I take a look at all the components before I rip anything out and for sure there is a few air hoses that cause me for concern.

On the Steeda intake, there is a small port hole near where the MAF goes and on the valve cover there is a small hose that was connected to the airbox beforehand. So what I've done temporarily is plug the small port on the intake and kinda set a small filter in the other hose for the valve cover. From what I'm guessing here, can I set this up so that there is a hose coming in from the small intake port to the hose going to the valve cover?

That is the port for the crank breather your supposed to connect it to the valve cover.

Either way works, but apparently its illegal to have a crank breather filter rather than connecting it to the intake tube... :rolleyes:

hardk0re,Jun 16 2005, 10:42 PM Wrote:That is the port for the crank breather your supposed to connect it to the valve cover.

Either way works, but apparently its illegal to have a crank breather filter rather than connecting it to the intake tube...  :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]114882[/snapback][/right]

cool thanks. NOS told me sometime ago about another filter, but now I understand why you need it.
Can anyone explain why it is illegal?
It's illegal because you have pressure venting from the motor out into the atmosphere, this air is not clean, has bad stuff in it therefore causing a emmissions violation.

Not to mention that you SHOULD have it hooked up because the intake usually vaccumes the air out of the valve cover and back into the motor.

Bottom line, if a MTO cop pulls you over and you have a breather filter, $300 fine.
$300 woah!!!

Jays2000ZX3,Jun 17 2005, 12:46 AM Wrote:It's illegal because you have pressure venting from the motor out into the atmosphere, this air is not clean, has bad stuff in it therefore causing a emmissions violation.

Not to mention that you SHOULD have it hooked up because the intake usually vaccumes the air out of the valve cover and back into the motor.

Bottom line, if a MTO cop pulls you over and you have a breather filter, $300 fine.
[right][snapback]114915[/snapback][/right]

In stock form where is this tube from the motor connected? When I had the short ram intake it was connected to the intake between the MAF and the TB. (I did not install it so I don't know the original location)

[Image: 100_0557.jpg]

Now that I have a JRSC which comes with a flex tube between the MAF and TB, there was no place to connect this. I attached the cone filter from the short ram on the end of the MAF housing. The guys the installed the JRSC hooked up a breather filter.

[Image: 100_0558.jpg]

If it normally ran into the airbox then I would be looking at getting an SVT airbox and snorkel to replace the cone at the end of the MAF. If it normally ran into the tube between the MAF and the TB then I would have to get a custom connection made because the JRSC TB location is different than the stock location and it uses a flex tube with no way of connecting this tube.
dBlast,Jun 17 2005, 06:51 AM Wrote:In stock form where is this tube from the motor connected? 

It connects to the stock airbox through a small square filter. This filter is just below the intake's air filter.

So I'm guessing I should get a standard hose and hook it up direct with no filter between the valve cover and the intake for the car? Won't this suck in some 5W30? :D
I'll take pics of mine tonight.

I just ut a MINI filter on the end of the hose and tucked it down.

For some reason it would not fit correctly with the hole in the side of the Volant. :shrug:

I was told that this in not a vacumm hose, just a hose carrying air from inside the engine. Not to worry about it.