FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Hate Ups..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
now wtf with UPS??
i missed first delievery and clearly said i owe $48..
and UPS showed up just now and telling me he made an mistake and telling me to pay $89..
WTF is that..??
brokerage fees?
He probably just looked at the value first and then realized that the real price which is the duties and broker fess. They love to get ppl with those and all it is, is some guy that works for UPS getting paid 17-20 an hour for standing in line and talking to a customes officer for 2 minutes and then calling up head office and faxing threw the paper work.
$35 for GST, $54 for brokerage fee..

product i bought is only $280 in total..
yeah, the brokerage fees are brutal... but the GST seems a bit high IMO..

best thing to do is if you're shipping across the border is to arrange to do the paperwork yourself. You can save a lot of money by avoiding UPS brokerage.
Welcome to UPS!!!! :(

Never, ever, ever, ever ship UPS. If you are buying out of the USA, ship via USPS.
I forgot to say ask them to put value extremely low and put as a gift!
reldridge,May 13 2009, 11:52 AM Wrote:Welcome to UPS!!!! :(

Never, ever, ever, ever ship UPS. If you are buying out of the USA, ship via USPS.
[right][snapback]287285[/snapback][/right]
Yeah, if you do a search we've all bitched about it on here, including myself. Personally I have them drop ship to the UPS depot in Niagara Falls NY and go pick it up myself; many companies in the US ship free within the US so the money you save in shipping will cover your gas to go pick it up, you pay no brokerage fee and you've got a 30% chance you get a decent border guard that will let you slide on the tax/duty.

Just did it last week when I bought a brand new Gibson SG.

Scorcher000,May 13 2009, 12:10 PM Wrote:I forgot to say ask them to put value extremely low and put as a gift!
[right][snapback]287287[/snapback][/right]

Just remember that the declared value is also the insured value; so if United Parcel Smashers breaks your item you get the declared value not what you paid.
OAC_Sparky,May 13 2009, 01:07 PM Wrote:
reldridge,May 13 2009, 11:52 AM Wrote:Welcome to UPS!!!! :(

[right][snapback]287285[/snapback][/right]
Yeah, if you do a search we've all bitched about it on here, including myself. Personally I have them drop ship to the UPS depot in Niagara Falls NY and go pick it up myself; many companies in the US ship free within the US so the money you save in shipping will cover your gas to go pick it up, you pay no brokerage fee and you've got a 30% chance you get a decent border guard that will let you slide on the tax/duty.

Just did it last week when I bought a brand new Gibson SG.
[right][snapback]287294[/snapback][/right]

Yup ... or what other people do is get someone who's going down there anyway, to pick it up for them.

No offense Leo but with everything that's been written on this board about the real cost of importing stuff from the US ... frankly I'm surprised that you're surprised.
Fed Ex FTW
Fed Ex does the same. I paid nearly $400 duty and brokerage on my SCT Pro Racer package when I bought it.
I have my very own personal UPS delivery man. I have been using him for my shipping for 4 years now. He can swing it so I dont have to pay for Brokeage fees. One time he shipped 4 tires, 4 rims, a camera tripod, a few dj equiptment, a DSLr camera, few dozzen cellphones, and some mixer equiptments, almost all from outside of canada to my Fido Service centre OFFICE. no extra fees, no supprises, etc..
I currently work for FedEx Ground and can tell you we dont get paid 17-20/hour, not even close lol...start at $10/hr and top out after 3 years at 14.25 I believe, hours suck anyways (2-3 hours a day here) but the bigger places like in toronto and burlington get more hours. only good thing about working there is i get 50% off ground shipping and 75% off express shipping anywhere in the world :)
$400 on your PRP damm You should have bought it from DaSilva Racing no extra fees to me at all. Ive had alot of stuff shipped fed ex and there charges are always reasonable.
ZX3_2NV,May 14 2009, 09:17 AM Wrote:$400 on your PRP damm You should have bought it from DaSilva Racing no extra fees to me at all. Ive had alot of stuff shipped fed ex and there charges are always reasonable.
[right][snapback]287329[/snapback][/right]

DaSilva didn't have it at the time. I got it from the only known source -- Modular Depot. Within a year, everyone else could suddenly get it... I'm always a little off on my timing like that. If I buy something expensive, you can bet it'll be half price in a couple week's time.
darkpuppet,May 14 2009, 10:26 AM Wrote:
ZX3_2NV,May 14 2009, 09:17 AM Wrote:$400 on your PRP damm You should have bought it from DaSilva Racing no extra fees to me at all. Ive had alot of stuff shipped fed ex and there charges are always reasonable.
[right][snapback]287329[/snapback][/right]

DaSilva didn't have it at the time. I got it from the only known source -- Modular Depot. Within a year, everyone else could suddenly get it... I'm always a little off on my timing like that. If I buy something expensive, you can bet it'll be half price in a couple week's time.
[right][snapback]287343[/snapback][/right]

Didn't happen with the Mustang unfortunately :P

NefCanuck