FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Winter Car? What Kind?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Im getting a winter car and im trying to see what would be my best bet..does someone have a suggestion?
Early 80's Cavaliers, Beretta, Grand AM.....

Under $800 bucks for a decent runner.

I got a 1984 Buick Skyhawk for $200, $29 for pads, $49 for safety and I was off and running.

Any car older than 20 years doesn't need emissions :)
topaz, tempo,.... Focus?
crazikev,Jun 16 2005, 11:11 PM Wrote:topaz, tempo,.... Focus?
[right][snapback]114891[/snapback][/right]

Oh god stay the hell AWAY from any used Tempos/Topazes unless you want to be constantly nursing the thing (Unless it has the V6 and even then, too many other fiddly bits that break elsewhere on the car...)

As for what would make a good winter beater, that depends on the needs of the person asking the question...

NefCanuck
Nissan Micra. Best winter car I've ever driven by far. It can't get stuck, and if it does, get out and lift it out of the hole it's sitting in :D

[Image: picture.JPG]

And as you can see, it's easy to work on! :)

[Image: picture.JPG]
the focus you already own should be fine for winter driving...
darkpuppet,Jun 17 2005, 03:34 PM Wrote:the focus you already own should be fine for winter driving...
[right][snapback]115072[/snapback][/right]

Not with the kit hes putting on. :blink:

My suggestion: Anything starting with "S" and ending with "U" :D
Flofocus,Jun 19 2005, 05:17 PM Wrote:[My suggestion: Anything starting with "S" and ending with "U"  :D
[right][snapback]115459[/snapback][/right]

ummm....subaru....maybe....need to find one at good price!
focusonthis_88,Jun 19 2005, 05:32 PM Wrote:
Flofocus,Jun 19 2005, 05:17 PM Wrote:[My suggestion: Anything starting with "S" and ending with "U"  :D

[right][snapback]115461[/snapback][/right]

whats the price range?

I would recommend a Loyale, Justy with Manual Tranny, or an older legacy wagon....
Flofocus,Jun 19 2005, 07:08 PM Wrote:
focusonthis_88,Jun 19 2005, 05:32 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]115461[/snapback][/right]

whats the price range?

I would recommend a Loyale, Justy with Manual Tranny, or an older legacy wagon....
[right][snapback]115474[/snapback][/right]

How much are does on insurance???
subaru loyale 4WD wagon. oWnZ all in the snow

pretty much anything with 4WD based on locking differentials is a good bet.. like.. older audis.. jeeps.. that sort of thing

but i think subarus are the best choice from a reliability standpoint
get a 88~91 toyota camry or tercel 4wd... those are pretty awesome too
A friend of mine just bought a 92 beretta, $800. The only thing i hate about cars newer than 20 years is they need to pass emissions which can be a pain on cars that are older than 10 years.

Thats why I bought a clunker 20 year old, passed safety with flying colours and it don't require emissions...which makes no sense really...
Id vote for tempo/topaz b/c our's has been great to us, tuff as all hell. Find one that was taken care off and lay on, parts are cheap as fack to so :D
my friend got a chrysler daytona turboZ for free, got a safety "written" up and it needs very little work other then a full system flush cause it sat for 5 years in a garage. thing looks like s**t, has decent power adn it was free, duno how it will be in the snow but its we're only in windsor so there aint too much to worry about.

winter beaters taking snow drifitng to a new level due to the fact there is no care about doing damage :D :D
ZX5focused,Jun 21 2005, 10:32 AM Wrote:winter beaters taking snow drifitng to a new level due to the fact there is no care about doing damage :D  :D
[right][snapback]115860[/snapback][/right]

:D

You can say that again.

I crashed the Justy more than I can rememeber last year.....

Its ok though.....I need practice doing body work. :lol:
Poor Justy. Haha, I remember trying to crawl up snowbanks in the acclaim. at one point i had the front pass side. 2 feet off the ground. A strong wind could have tipped it over :lol:
scoobasteve,Jun 21 2005, 10:58 AM Wrote:Poor Justy. Haha, I remember trying to crawl up snowbanks in the acclaim.  at one point i had the front pass side. 2 feet off the ground. A strong wind could have tipped it over :lol:
[right][snapback]115873[/snapback][/right]

I tried taking some skidoo trails with the Justy....

I got about 25 feet before the tires started to sink in the snow....

Ever see skidoo's pull out a car of a snow bank? :lol:

jeez....I kind of want some snow now. :huh: :lol:
Flofocus,Jun 21 2005, 10:02 AM Wrote:
scoobasteve,Jun 21 2005, 10:58 AM Wrote:Poor Justy. Haha, I remember trying to crawl up snowbanks in the acclaim.  at one point i had the front pass side. 2 feet off the ground. A strong wind could have tipped it over :lol:
[right][snapback]115873[/snapback][/right]

I tried taking some skidoo trails with the Justy....

I got about 25 feet before the tires started to sink in the snow....

Ever see skidoo's pull out a car of a snow bank? :lol:

jeez....I kind of want some snow now. :huh: :lol:
[right][snapback]115876[/snapback][/right]

I dunno.... Boost > 3cyl 4WD
your right.
Pages: 1 2