FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Which Is Better?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i was hoping to get some feed back in regards to air filters. I am using an open air filter now but i was considering going back to the stock air box and a k&n filter. I figure it would help the engine from suckin i hot air. i hope someone can give me some guidance. thanks alot.

greg
anyone?
A conical (cone) filter will outflow a panel filter anyday. I've had both a K&N drop in as well as a K&N cone on the end of my MAF (using the stock intake) and the difference is night and day.

Stick with the open design, you'll get way more performance. If your talking about bogging issues with summer just around the corner, the stock airbox will eliminate that (basically) but you will lose the performance from the cone filter.

If I was you, I'd stick with the cone filter for the time being until you can get a intake like the PIPERCROSS or VOLANT, both are the 'best of both worlds' (short ram filter position, CAI performance).......
its a tough call. From what i've read you will gain more power from a open element filter than a KnN. but with the KNN drop in youre less effected by heatsoak.

Personally I'll take the open element filter hands down... What you can try to do is build a heatshield for your cone filter ala the focussport coolflow. or the volant. They help with heatsoak, but like anthony said in another thread youll still notice it.

if it bothers you that much. just get a CAI. but watch for puddles :ph34r:
As well if your looking for a performance setup that uses a closed in airbox, check out the ICEMAN intakes......
thanks guys, i almost ordered a k&n filter at work today. wow i would have really regreted that eh?
i think i will stick with the open filter, my engine produces so much heat that it seems to bogg down alot,especially when the cooling fan clicks on. my engine even shutters , even just idling?
any ideas???
itll happen. in the summer, i nuked 3 fuelpumps just from overheating on my red zx3. when its humid out it feels like i always have a/c on. but then again, thats why they invented CAI's
what do u suggest i do?
theres not much you can do besides live with it. what do you mean by the engine shutters when the cooling fan is on. is it just when it just turns on. or the whole time its on. I would personally stick with the short ram(open element filter) because the loss of power from heatsoak isnt worht the risk of engine damage to me...
actually it shutters all the time , not just when the fan is runin. whenn the is runnin it has even less pickup.
Less pickup is explainable. because there is more load on the vehicles electrical system.

does the car shake or something when its under heavy load?
focuzedn2o,Jun 16 2005, 03:52 PM Wrote:actually it shutters all the time , not just when the fan is runin. whenn the is runnin it has even less pickup.
[right][snapback]114793[/snapback][/right]

What mods do you currently have to your car? What year? All the recalls done?
2001 ford focus zts(sedan)
air filter(ractive)
muffler(ractive)
9mm plug wires(jba)
plugs(bosch platinum 4's)
lowering springs(goldline)
struts(kyb)

reaplaced throttle body and harness less than 6 months ago , but i ran my vin thru the recall website and it listed nothing.

anything else let me know!
sorry if i'm buggin u guys but i hate not runnin at perfect condition

thanks again
Nah man, don't appologize, that's what were here for.

If it shutters alot, almost like surging, it's definitely the DPFE (EGR) system, etc which is repaired/replaced under Ford's Extended Warranty (no cost to you). The damn thing is almost always the reason why the car runs like crap.
Also... how long have you had those Platinum +4's I havent heard many good things about them

Have you changed your fuel filter latley... how many km's are on the car.
well first off , i have no more warranty. the car has 110,000kms on it.

i put the plugs and wires on in april, because i went to toronto for work and my car would not stay running. ihad to have it towed to a shop , which said there was nothing wrong with it. so i then drove it home the next day, it lagged a bit but it was ok (i guess). so i went to start up my car to pull it into the wash bay at work, and it would not stay running and when it did it sound like s**t and had no pick up or acceleration. so i ran it acrosss the street to this shop i have been going to , and he said the car was only running on 3 cylinders. so ileft it with him for a day and he said that the wires needed to be replaced and the plugs. so he did it. the car ran better but seemed to be a lot bubbly when iddling.
so now this is happening . and yes the fuel filter was changed also

when you said the EGR, do u mean the EGR VALVE?
If so what exactly does that do?
so has anybody got any idea what this could be? <_<
Dpfe???

Do a search. there a tonne of threads on this and it's symptoms.
UDP help a bit to when running AC. Gives you back about 30% of your power.
Heres a good solution buy my volant! :)

check the for sale section