FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Time For Some Repainting...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So whoever was at massive this past Monday saw that I still hadn't debadged the car yet. I've wanted to do it forever and finally did the Focus portion of it today and here is what I was worried about...

[Image: IMG_1852.JPG]

Doesn't look too bad until you see it up close...
[Image: IMG_1851.JPG]
(had the hatch repainted back in October before I bought the car but I knew buddy did a pretty bad job.) Ha... Now that I'm really looking at the picture you can really see how the rust is starting on the bottom of the hatch, its worse on the inner portion as well.
The adhesive pulled the clearcoat and the new black coat right off and I could see the original paint underneath. Since I'm repainting anyways, I took a piece of sandpaper and did a quick swirl out of curiosity to see how easily it would all come off.

And then there is the driver side door...
[Image: IMG_1850.JPG]
Keeping in mind that these pics are right after a quick wash, the bottom of the door is in pretty rough shape. I've touched it up before with a light sand and some rust paint to hold it off for the winter.

My Goal: Last clearcoat to be done on Friday morning so I'll have to just reassemble and she'll be ready for the long weekend.
Gameplan:
Wednesday: Rip off the hatch and driver door, start prep and have it sanded, cleaned and primed by the time I hit the sac.
Thursday morning: Get a base coat on everything, leave to dry all day, wet sand
Thursday after work: 2nd base coat immediately. 1st clearcoat by nightfall and let set overnight.
Friday morning: Up early once again, another clearcoat and let dry. A
Friday after work: Reassemble and its ready for the weekend.

Am I rushing drying times? Its all going to be done with spray cans since my connection for a compressor and spray gun didn't work out.

Also, any tips or specific brands to use? I'm gathering materials during my lunch tomorrow.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!
I did see the pre-de-badge on Monday. There was a lot of wax gobbed up in between those letters. I didn't want to say anything because I don't really know you at all. But it looks like the sand paper you are using is just a little bit too rough.
Put the and paper down!

Try putting peanut butter on it, let it sit fro 5 minutes and clean it off with some detailing spray.

Clay bar is going to help you here a lot after you've removed the peanut butter.
There was a lotta wax because I've been planning to debadge abd paint forever. Now that the time has come, its off now so who cares :P

I'm just going to paint and be done with that hatch/door once and for all.

I used rough sandpaper to see how easily the clearcoat would come off. Once I'm done with that hatch, it'll look brand new.

Anyone ever used one of those stripper wheels that you put on a drill?
shadowzx3,May 13 2009, 11:36 AM Wrote:Anyone ever used one of those stripper wheels that you put on a drill?
[right][snapback]287279[/snapback][/right]

I wouldn't recommend it. I'd go with sand paper pads on an orbital sander, so you don't hurt the metal. If you do go with the stripping wheel, be sure you get the finest one you can. The coarse ones will rip through the sheetmetal.
reldridge,May 13 2009, 12:00 PM Wrote:
shadowzx3,May 13 2009, 11:36 AM Wrote:Anyone ever used one of those stripper wheels that you put on a drill?
[right][snapback]287279[/snapback][/right]

I wouldn't recommend it. I'd go with sand paper pads on an orbital sander, so you don't hurt the metal. If you do go with the stripping wheel, be sure you get the finest one you can. The coarse ones will rip through the sheetmetal.
[right][snapback]287286[/snapback][/right]

^^^ x2 - except where there's rust you really don't want to take much off at all ... those wheels will do damage before you even know it.

Better to take it easy and spend a bit more time than go rough and regret it. (talking about finishing the car not your love life)
thanks everyone for the input.

I ended up buying a 120 grit wheel for the orbit sander and then a 220 for a nice smooth finish before priming and some 1000 grit for after priming. I'm excited to start! In the meanwhile, I have to deal with a random hole in my tire that appeared from moving my car literally 35 meters, go figure.

Well it rained today and the project is being delayed until next weekend. I'll have from Friday after work until Sunday night to complete the project. At the very least, I will do the hatch - bought everything today to get'r done!
I think 120 and 220 is still to aggresive. Your going from 220 to 1000? I would be starting with a 600-800, them moving to a 1000, then 2000....

Well...I wouldnt even use sand paper, but you seem set on what you want to do.