FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Don't Idle Your Cars In Toronto
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A warning for Toronto Drivers...

as reported by CityPulse:

Quote: It may be the best kept secret in the city. Toronto has an anti-idling bylaw. It states that anyone running a parked car for longer than three minutes could be cited for a $105 fine.

But to many motorists, it's become something like the Loch Ness Monster - everyone's aware about the legend but very few have actually seen it.

In the five years since the law was first passed, only about 1,000 warnings have been handed out, and just 240 tickets written up.

That will change next week, when Toronto Police launch a five day blitz to target those breaking the rules.

more info here
smoggy bastards
darkpuppet,Jun 8 2005, 10:33 PM Wrote:A warning for Toronto Drivers...

as reported by CityPulse:

more info here
[right][snapback]113447[/snapback][/right]

Ah yes, this is how Toronto solves its cash flow problem, ticketing the hell out of anything that doesn't move... ironic and sad at the same time <_<

Best part of this ridiculous PR stunt? The loopholes that say they won't ticket you if the temperature is over 27C when the idling is likely happening during a SMOG ALERT :wtf:

NefCanuck
Nice..... if I was handing out tickets i'd wait at tim hortons drive through....

yeah but how exacly are they counting this? any car that stops, they shot a tracker on the car with a timer?
Good. They should inforce this. The air in this city is horrid.
I think people should carpool/use public transit where applicable. I see so many people in their cars going to work....alone.

This idle rule, yeah I agree, they could probably do more though...why not have a mandate to really crack down on polution. I mean these little bandaide fixes aren't going to do anything. Its just to keep environmentalists at bay rather than addressing an issue.

Our world is in the hands of idiots...
I've been to Toronto 5 times now and I can say that the air is craptacular! Its gross when flying in/out and you fly through a thick smog and can hardly even see the city, or the sky for that matter.

I'm glad I live in Regina where there is no problem like that, and should we ever have one, it won't be for MANY MANY years.
I do my part.

Carpool to the station with the wife, jump on the GO and then the TTC.

I'm such a model citezen.
If i were to take the GO or the TTC... it would take me 3 hours to get to work

.... No thanks
As a disabled driver let me say this: If public transit really was accessible then I would have no problems with taking public transit to work and for the majority of my getting around, only using the car for things like grocery shopping or other times when I need to be able to move more than I can safely carry.

The reality is that public transit is about as far from accessible as it can get, despite the boasting to the contrary. Don't believe me?

Try this simple test: Try figure out how to get around any major city's transit system without using stairs or running into any other type of barrier, even the TTC in Toronto which pats itself so hard on the back for being accessible is rife with stations and buses where accessible is nothing more than a joke <_<

And disabled transit services? Beeen there, done that, why do you think I have a car <_<

NefCanuck
public transit has teh suck.

its almost impossible to get from missisauga to Markham in some semblence of time using public tranist.
Same with me Steve, from Whitby to Markham doesn't work.

I have 2 options if I want to take public transit:

1. drive to go train station, take go train from Whitby to Union, take subway up to Finch, take bus from Yonge/Finch to work at HWY7/404, total cost each was is like $14 and time is WAY too long

2. Drive north to HWY 7 in Whitby, take a Go Bus to Kennedy/407 go train station, take Markham transit north on Kennedy from 407 to HWy 7, take other Markham transit bus from Kennedy to work at 404/HWY7. Cost is ~$10 time still way too long.

I mean, it's just not feasable.