FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: June 6th, 1944
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This day in history 61 years ago, D-Day took place. Canadian, american and British troops attacked occupied France in the largest amphibious assault in history. The Canadians were the only ones to reach there objectives on this day, eventualy fighting their way to Caen and faced one of Hitlers most skilled panzerdivisions.

Id like to say thanks to all the veterans, too bad most of them are dead :( Thanks Grandpa.

big shout out to gramps on this one...

thats when Canada kicked some serious ass in the army!!!
Everyone should have their flags out today. If you don't have a flag, go buy one.
Definately an important day in history.
because of my grandfather, I'm able to sit my doughy white ass down in front of this here computer.

life t'is great! thanks gramps!
what did he do? what was he in ?

My grandpa was in the 1st Hussars of London, and drove a sherman on D-Day
I thought this was a thread on 2001zts' birthday... ;)
tdot-zx3,Jun 6 2005, 07: Wrote:I thought this was a thread on 2001zts' birthday... ;)
[right][snapback]112943[/snapback][/right]

ZING

my grand paps was in the navy, his ship was torpedo'd and only him and 2 other survived out of 140...

weird thing is that 25 years later he met the gunner who hit his ship, on a business dinner...

talk about awkward
FociPhil,Jun 6 2005, 03:12 PM Wrote:
tdot-zx3,Jun 6 2005, 07: Wrote:I thought this was a thread on 2001zts' birthday... ;)

ZING

my grand paps was in the navy, his ship was torpedo'd and only him and 2 other survived out of 140...

weird thing is that 25 years later he met the gunner who hit his ship, on a business dinner...

talk about awkward
[right][snapback]112951[/snapback][/right]
lmao, ill bet. I wonder if i would have respect for the other guy who topedoed me as he was doing his job, or would i want to murder him with my butter knife and stab him to death with my fork :unsure:
crazikev,Jun 7 2005, 12:12 AM Wrote:
FociPhil,Jun 6 2005, 03:12 PM Wrote:

ZING

talk about awkward
[right][snapback]112951[/snapback][/right]
lmao, ill bet. I wonder if i would have respect for the other guy who topedoed me as he was doing his job, or would i want to murder him with my butter knife and stab him to death with my fork :unsure:
[right][snapback]113055[/snapback][/right]

More than anything, what that shows is that in the end, the men and women who were fighting and killing each other were the same.. sad really that so many people had to die fighting others who on any other day could have been their best friends.

Great for all the anti-whites in the world. WW1 and II knocked the caucassian population down quite well.
I raise my glass to those who sacrificed so we could live a better life.
crazikev,Jun 6 2005, 03:37 PM Wrote:This day in history 61 years ago, D-Day took place.  Canadian, american and British troops attacked occupied France in the largest amphibious assault in history. The Canadians were the only ones to reach there objectives on this day, eventualy fighting their way to Caen and faced one of Hitlers most skilled panzerdivisions.             

Id like to say thanks to all the veterans, too bad most of them are dead :( Thanks Grandpa.
[right][snapback]112891[/snapback][/right]

Amen to this. On this day in 1944 my late father flew three missions over France - almost getting shot down on one; and in the process earned a DFC for his efforts. This was in his third tour of duty.

And I know there are thousands of stories just like my dad's - and so to all the veterans and their families I say cheers!

This is a photo of my grandfather (who flew in WWI and was admin in WWII) and my dad in front of his Halifax, taken just 3 months after D-Day.

And to put things in perspective, my dad at 25 was the Flight Lieutenant, and one of the most experienced pilots in the squadron. I don't think he ever really knew how proud I am of him. I hope he does now.

[Image: 1105780_1.jpg]