FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Fitness Update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Today I ran my 1st ever Half Marathon.

I woke up at 4:30 am this morning, grabbed my breakfast and headed out to Square One to line up with 8,000 other people to run the marathon.

My official chip time (the time from when I reached the start line and the time I crossed the finish) was 2 hours and 8 minutes -- considering I went from a total non-runner to completing a half marathon in 7 months and weighing about 240lbs, it's not a bad time... and I've been fighting an injury the last few weeks too.

you can see the official posting on sportstats.ca here

It was quite the experience.. running with thousands of other people -- people who run like toronto drivers -- and being cheered on by complete strangers is something else.

I only have one pic -- will have to get it from my GF when I get a chance.

next on the list -- drop more weight and get faster....

My co-worker ran this marathon and he loved it so much. He keeps talking about running...running and more running.
He lost 50lbs.

Good for you guys.
You were by sq1 and didn't tell us?
darkpuppet,May 10 2009, 03:57 PM Wrote:Today I ran my 1st ever Half Marathon.

I woke up at 4:30 am this morning, grabbed my breakfast and headed out to Square One to line up with 8,000 other people to run the marathon.

My official chip time (the time from when I reached the start line and the time I crossed the finish) was 2 hours and 8 minutes -- considering I went from a total non-runner to completing a half marathon in 7 months and weighing about 240lbs, it's not a bad time... and I've been fighting an injury the last few weeks too.

It was quite the experience.. running with thousands of other people -- people who run like toronto drivers -- and being cheered on by complete strangers is something else. 

[right][snapback]287043[/snapback][/right]

Congratulations!
If now you have 240 lbs how much did you weight 7 months ago? I'm trying to get an idea what would running do for me since I'm in my fourth week of running and trying to lose 40-50 lbs from 234 which I have now.
Ah nuts, I knew there was a reason I wanted to get up this morning (we had a power failure last night that woke me up and messed up my sleep <_<)

Good on you DP.

NefCanuck
darkpuppet,May 10 2009, 03:57 PM Wrote:Today I ran my 1st ever Half Marathon.

[right][snapback]287043[/snapback][/right]

Fantastic - congrats Steve - so do you now qualify for the New York Marathon?

And a side note: the Ethiopian was beaten by 7 Canadians - - yeah!
Benzin,May 10 2009, 09:15 PM Wrote:Congratulations!
If now you have 240 lbs how much did you weight 7 months ago? I'm trying to get an idea what would running do for me since I'm in my fourth week of running and trying to lose 40-50 lbs from 234 which I have now.
[right][snapback]287058[/snapback][/right]

To be honest, I haven't dropped much weight this year -- last year, I dropped about 20-25 lbs -- but once I started running seriously, I found it hard to control my calorie intake -- which was a bunch of factors.

In the end, if I watch my diet closely, the weight comes off very quickly -- which is my goal now that I'm not training to finish a race....

Weight loss is simple mathematics -- expend more calories than you ingest. 3500 colories = 1lb of fat. weight training, cardio and a good diet will help you lose weight the quickest. Good luck with whatever training program you adopt! It's hard, but it's worth it.
Nice work Steveo! Hell of an effort!

I think I've become a yo-yo trainer / workout guy. Some months I'm at it, some months not so much. I've resolved to bike to work and back as mcuh as I can in the next couple of months as summer hockey starts July 1st for us here at work.

After biking in this morning, I realized I had forgotten one thing: when the f*** did the seat start hurting my ass so much? :o :ph34r:
NOS2Go4Me,May 11 2009, 07:08 AM Wrote:After biking in this morning, I realized I had forgotten one thing: when the f*** did the seat start hurting my ass so much? :o :ph34r:
[right][snapback]287079[/snapback][/right]

It's because your ass got soft... time in the saddle will toughen it up again.
Did you run with the hat on that carries two beers and a straw?

Watch out for spillage.
meford4u,May 11 2009, 11:20 AM Wrote:Did you run with the hat on that carries two beers and a straw?

Watch out for spillage.
[right][snapback]287109[/snapback][/right]

That's why you spend the extra $5 and get the version with the spillproof lids :P

I thought you would know this? :D

Me? I'll just stick to a beer and a couch, no way to spill that... until I get toasted :ph34r:

NefCanuck
Congrats on completing the marathon. Finishing is a big step in itself.