FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: New Fusion V6 Or V6 Mustang ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well I was thinking of buying a v6 mustang but I drove a new v6 fusion at work with triptronic and they haul ass now im not sure what to get ... any opinions ??
You have a baby so get v6 awd fusion

I just never had the same feeling toward v6 stand as oppose to GT
Ask DP, any hardcore mustang owner will give you crap for owning v6 stang lol
You should ask yourself : do you want a sports car ? or a sedan ? do you need more usable interior , or not ? Do you need to drive it in the winter ? If yes , the Fusion is the way to go , how many Mustangs do you see on the road in the winter ?
Ill say Fusion. Be different and mod that instead of a Mustang, theres a couple members here who are in that process now and both cars look sweet. Not to mention it is good year round if you choose the AWD version
well I have my kia sorento as a winter vehicle I pretty much parked the focus this winter ...
I drove Ken's 4 cyl Fusion a couple weeks ago and let me tell you that car was peppier than I thought it would be. Mind you his has a tune, Eibach suspension, etc. Lets just say that come time to get a new car I will be giving the Fusion a very close look.

Mustangs are for kids or old guys with small dicks. LOL
Thing is, while you can't mod a V6 Fusion motor wise as much as a Mustang, a Fusion is a far more practical car for "life"

If the 4 door access doesn't sell you, or the fold flat front passenger seat for long loads through the fold flat rear seats or the availability of AWD and the select shift auto with the V6 motor, then you may as well buy the 'Stang.

As an aside there are many mods available for the Fusion, more show than go, but as you can see from ZTWSquared and myself you can end up with a "you" car, just as easily as with a Mustang.

A Stang is a fun car yes, but is it a year round, practical car in this neck of the woods? I would say no sadly...

NefCanuck
Both are nice cars, but if you're going to buy a mustang get the GT. You'll kick yourself if you don't. Go big or go home.
OAC_Sparky,May 10 2009, 08:31 PM Wrote:Both are nice cars, but if you're going to buy a mustang get the GT. You'll kick yourself if you don't. Go big or go home.
[right][snapback]287062[/snapback][/right]

These cars are so different they are rarely on the same shopping list ... it's been 20 years literally since I've owned a Mustang (1985 GT - new) so I can't really comment on the ownership experience of a Stang, but I can tell you that every day I drive my Fusion I am more and more happy with the purchase.

The car is quiet and solid and a real class act ... and as Kevin alluded to, the combination of 2.3 VVT and 5-speed manual, and a few relatively inexpensive mods, provides good fuel economy and a bigger fun factor than my Focus ... by all accounts the 2010 is an even bigger hit.

FWIW - if you're test driving the Mustang check out the back seat and what it takes to put a baby seat or booster in there and then get the kid buckled in ... a rear door comes in real handy for such things.
OAC_Sparky,May 10 2009, 09:31 PM Wrote:Both are nice cars, but if you're going to buy a mustang get the GT. You'll kick yourself if you don't. Go big or go home.
[right][snapback]287062[/snapback][/right]

I'd personally go with a V6 mustang, IF and only IF, the engine and tranny are swapped for a ford racing crate engine/tranny (probably a 5.4L or maybe a roush engine).
one thing no one pointed out yet is, can you take a hit on your insurance rates if you got the mustang? I think the Fusion would not increase your rates much as it's a sedan, and sedans generally have lower rates for them provided they are not performance version like an Mercedes AMG E63.

Sports cars and being a male driver tend to make your rates sky rocket, more so if you have things in your driving history like tickets, and being under 30 dose not help out either.
Gotta disagree with my northern bud here - buying a new Mustang on the premise you might swap the motor someday is a bad idea.

Go V6 AWD Fusion. The Duratec is a way better mill than what's in the Mustang, plus you get an extra cog. Basic mods are just as easily done to the Fusion as the Mustang (intake, exhaust, re-tune, susp, wheels/tires) and it is indeed far more livable than the Stang.

Sorry DP :(

Now, if you want a fairly cheap convert that can be made to handle and has no aspirations of winter competency, get a Mustang.

Personally, I'd get a GT if a Mustang is required. A stock 05-09 is "quick" (I drove an 08) with the 4.6L, but I'll wager that a V6 vert is a little slower... even with the manual.

The V6 AWD Fusion is a snappy performer. It's still one of the only cars that I kinda wish I had grabbed instead of my truck. Mind you, I've already taken the truck plenty of places that the Fusion would never go, so... :lol:
NOS2Go4Me,May 11 2009, 07:23 AM Wrote:I've already taken the truck plenty of places that the Fusion would never go, so... :lol:[right][snapback]287082[/snapback][/right]

[Image: 135_3557_std.jpg]
NOS2Go4Me,May 11 2009, 06:23 AM Wrote:Go V6 AWD Fusion. The Duratec is a way better mill than what's in the Mustang, plus you get an extra cog. Basic mods are just as easily done to the Fusion as the Mustang (intake, exhaust, re-tune, susp, wheels/tires) and it is indeed far more livable than the Stang.

The V6 AWD Fusion is a snappy performer. It's still one of the only cars that I kinda wish I had grabbed instead of my truck. Mind you, I've already taken the truck plenty of places that the Fusion would never go, so... :lol:
[right][snapback]287082[/snapback][/right]

Slight cautionary note. The AWD suspension setup means that upgrades aren't quite as "plug & play" as FWD models, meaning that you would have to be careful about whose parts you go with for suspension and exhaust (For example Ford had to rework the gas tank on the AWD model, losing three litres of capacity in the process over a FWD model thanks to the suspension differences)

As to whether a V6 'vert is slower. I'm going to the SVTOA's Cayuga drag day on May 30 and if I can race one, I'll let you know who wins :P

As to taking the Escape places that Fusion couldn't go. You're in that 10% of people that actually uses off road capability as something other than a badge of honour NOS ;)

NefCanuck
Canadian ST,May 11 2009, 10:39 AM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,May 11 2009, 07:23 AM Wrote:I've already taken the truck plenty of places that the Fusion would never go, so... :lol:[right][snapback]287082[/snapback][/right]

[Image: 135_3557_std.jpg]
[right][snapback]287092[/snapback][/right]

What am I looking at here? All I see is the target demographic and two fine "examples" of the 08+ Focus.

Dan - yeah, that's just the joy of living somewhere where you don't have to drive for 2+ hours to get into the real wilderness. Two weekends ago, I hit a frost heave on a 6-series highway that would have eaten most of FoMoCo's car offerings whole. :(

The truck ate it up in spectacular fashion, but any more rebound and I would have been doing a really wicked Colin McRae impression!
My experience with my v6 stang

- it was 10 grand less, and 200lbs lighter than a GT
- the manual v6 is barely 1 second slower in the 1/4 than an auto GT
- if you're going to modify a stang, you're going to need suspension, tires and brakes more than horsepower or torque. Which will cost you 4-6 grand on top of the cost of your car. So why waste 10G on the GT, when you can save 4G and beat GTs around a circuit -- and toss in another 4G and keep up with the shelbies at the drag.
- the v6 is easier on gas
- the mustang is a perfectly competent winter car -- but you have to get winter tires
- insurance on my stang was $1000/yr cheaper than the focus.

As far as practicality goes

- the v6 stang carries everything I need to camp, as well as a passenger and her stuff with only slightly more effort than the focus -- if you can play tetris, you can pack a stang convertible -- even easier if you get a coupe.

- only Guys care if you have a v6 or a GT -- so unless you're gay, that's the least of your worries. If you get a V6, be prepared to be made fun of -- but then you can also laugh at the guy who bought his car only because it has more HP

On the down side

- it's the hardest car to drive smoothly -- on/off torque curve, heavy, blind spots that make the car feel 3x bigger than it is
- it's built with truck parts -- Ford Ranger engine, tranny and rear axle -- definitely not something to brag about -- but it's quite reliable.
- You're not going to like trying to stuff a kid in the rear -- the doors will constantly be swung open into neighbouring cars.
- the environmentally friendly plastics don't offgas and give you that new car smell everyone loves so much.

In the end, the fusion will be easier to live with everyday -- but the stang is a fun car.... so you need to prioritize -- if you need a family car, the fusion is the way to go. If not, the stang is a decent choice.

Just remember -- with a V6 stang, chicks will love it, and guys will find something wrong with it to compensate for their own insecurities.

ie..

Chick: Check out that pretty car!
Guy: Yeah, but it's not a GT.
Chick: what's a GT?

darkpuppet,May 11 2009, 12:50 PM Wrote:In the end, the fusion will be easier to live with everyday -- but the stang is a fun car.... so you need to prioritize -- if you need a family car, the fusion is the way to go.  If not, the stang is a decent choice.
[right][snapback]287128[/snapback][/right]

Amen to that, though I've always hoped that by the time I hot 40, assuming I still can. I'd like to own a Mustang as a summer car.

So far things appear to be progressing nicely twoards that goal :P

NefCanuck
What about waiting for the Taurus SHO? :D
reldridge,May 12 2009, 06:26 AM Wrote:What about waiting for the Taurus SHO? :D
[right][snapback]287198[/snapback][/right]

Now that is an amzing idea
ZX3_2NV,May 12 2009, 11:55 AM Wrote:
reldridge,May 12 2009, 06:26 AM Wrote:What about waiting for the Taurus SHO? :D
[right][snapback]287198[/snapback][/right]

Now that is an amzing idea
[right][snapback]287214[/snapback][/right]

Yeah but I think it's clocking in at $45K CDN for the all singing / all dancing version.

Not a tiny chunk of change :ph34r:

NefCanuck
Pages: 1 2