FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Shift Boot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey I drive an auto and I notice everything interior wise seem's to be about the same from the stick to the auto. Would it be possible and more inportant hard to install a shift boot around my auto shifter. :D
Mason,May 30 2005, 01:31 PM Wrote:Hey I drive an auto and I notice everything interior wise seem's to be about the same from the stick to the auto. Would it be possible and more inportant hard to install a shift boot around my auto shifter. :D
[right][snapback]111498[/snapback][/right]

It wouldn't be hard...You'll probably going to need to buy a shift boot that can stretch at the bottem.
focusonthis_88,May 30 2005, 01:51 PM Wrote:
Mason,May 30 2005, 01:31 PM Wrote:Hey I drive an auto and I notice everything interior wise seem's to be about the same from the stick to the auto. Would it be possible and more inportant hard to install a shift boot around my auto shifter. :D

It wouldn't be hard...You'll probably going to need to buy a shift boot that can stretch at the bottem.
[right][snapback]111499[/snapback][/right]

I've never seen what a auto centre console looks like underneath. You may run into some issues this way....like how will you know if your in Drive and stuff?? Or does the focus display the gears on the dash?? :huh:
Flofocus,May 30 2005, 01:54 PM Wrote:
focusonthis_88,May 30 2005, 01:51 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]111499[/snapback][/right]

I've never seen what a auto centre console looks like underneath. You may run into some issues this way....like how will you know if your in Drive and stuff?? Or does the focus display the gears on the dash?? :huh:
[right][snapback]111500[/snapback][/right]

You don't see the gears... :ph34r: If you put a boot you'll need to be careful! :ph34r:
I'd be more worried if the "slamshift" detents are bound to the console in any way. Where's Paul or Tony when we need them?

I've often wonder about the same thing myself - adding a boot to the shifter. I was afraid of the "uber rice" comments tho and wussed out. Probably the first time I've mentioned it, actually :D
Im not worried about shifting it. I know my shifter by how it sits and feel's in my hand. Every gear is no problem. I just dont like how that console there look's and I wanted to put a boot over it.
I figured if I pulled the floor console off and just peged or some how got the boot to sit just under where the shifter meets the console I could just put it back ontop and it would say. The issue is will it actually stay and not cause a problem.

+ I cant say Ive ever seen the underside of the auto either. It cant be that diff.
I'd wait till somebody with a little more experience with Auto consoles can chime in. I've never looked at one, I see Auto, I walk away. :P :lol:

Hopefully ZOOM sees this and chimes in....
Well itz not somthing Im doing today... Although im done workj at 3 so I could but I wont.

Its just somthing Ive been sitting there looking and an thinking " How can I cover those stupid lookin letters there"

So a regular boot mounted in some way should do it. I dont think it will be that hard. Just gotta get the center console out and see whats under there for me to attatch the boot to.

But yea if any one see's zoom then tell him to MSG me or post on here if he has time.
There's been a couple guys on Focusfanatics that have done it, really cleans up the interior a lot. One of them was experimenting with relocating the gear indicator letters but I dont know if he ever did.

I think they used a stock boot from a manual focus (you may want to get the SVT boot since it's leather rather than vinyl).
Would any after-market shift boot work?

p.s. i prefer rective
Hey I got an idea, just sell the auto and by a 5 speed and you can put on any shift boot and shift knob that will work! ; B)
1. it's RACTIVE. Get it right

2. yes it works. I have a momo one that works perfectly. Cut down your shifter and the shift engaging "stick" at the same time. And please for the love of god change the shifter at the same time. If you are going to go for the "look of a stick" Go balls deep and change it all. Nothing says queer like an automatic T shifter with a boot....

My setup:

Momo Automatico shifter
Momo black leather boot

Looks sick.

Give me 2.5 weeks till the unveiling of my focus. All the sponsorship parts will be here and on the car.

:D lates
sponsorship? Are you nuts? Do you not enjoy time to yourself on weekends? Hanging out with your buddies?
You won't have time with the appearances they are going to shove down your throat.
We were approached but turned it down in a hurry. And that was just for free tires.
Meh, maybe you just got a bad apple.

I do enjoy weekends and I will be enjoying them. My tire sponsor never made me go anywhere I didn't agree too.
Not going for stick shifter look. just dont happen to like the letter's and little orange light. A shift boot will cover them and solve my problem.
ZOOM,May 30 2005, 07:45 PM Wrote:Give me 2.5 weeks till the unveiling of my focus. All the sponsorship parts will be here and on the car.

:D lates
[right][snapback]111587[/snapback][/right]

So what, we're going to have to call it the Suncus or the Fofire? J/K :D :lol:

Can't wait to see it done.

Think you could fire me a sneak peek of the shifter/boot? I'm super-curious. Seriously.

Actually, I'll look for you over MSN today.
Mason,May 30 2005, 10:27 AM Wrote:Its just somthing Ive been sitting there looking and an thinking " How can I cover those stupid lookin letters there"[right][snapback]111510[/snapback][/right]

I've been thinkin the of the same thing. So I just wrapped a green bandana around it and tucked it in the console (I got green accents in my car). But i'm gonna sew it so it fits better. I just need a cool lookin shifter knob.
its been done before guys, I used to see all kinds of pics of peoples setups showing off their auto shiftboot on Nazi Jet. I'll try and post some picz
Ill post pic's when I get it done.
Wont be for a few day's or a week atleast.
maybe this weekend.

Still does any one have any idea's regarding how to mount it.
ZOOM,May 30 2005, 07:45 PM Wrote:1. it's RACTIVE. Get it right
[right][snapback]111587[/snapback][/right]

You so tuff :rolleyes:

He said a company name wrong. OMG! :lol:
Pages: 1 2