FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: After 3 Years, I Pick Out Some Wheels...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Bought new wheels, Hotwheels Redline with 225/45R17 rubber. They rub pretty badly but I'll be doing fender work fairly soon. I'm quite happy with the outcome though. The car itself is now 3 years old. The damage to the front end was caused by Maymont towing who decided you can tow a Focus by the control arms. $2400 in damages later my insurance decided I "hit a snowbank" which somehow only cause a tear in the bumper and a line of damage leading from the control arm to the crack... sure thing! :rolleyes:

[Image: picture.JPG]

How can you run 225/45/17s?!?!

I run 205/40....

No wonder you rub... The side walls on ur tires look huge, making ur rims look smaller.
I rub mainly due to 200 lbs of stereo install. Even then only with people in the back and over a half tank of gas on undulating roads (thing is, all of those are usually happening at the same time with my car). I'm going to reshape the fenders this summer before I paint the car, which should take care of the rubbing completely. The aggressive look was what I was going for and I'm quite happy with the way they look on the car. The difference in the twisties between the 205s I ran and these fairly tame Continental (long life tire more than performance rubber) 225s is pretty noticeable too. These wheels came off an SVT Focus, and he had no rubbing issues (no stereo or back seat passengers)

In the winter I'll be going back to something much skinnier, 195 or less assuming I can find a 6"x15" wheel that will bolt up. Just have to sell the stock 16 wheels first.
I have 225/45/17 also mounted on a 7/5 inch wide rim, they rub a bit too, but its all worth it because the car handle like its on rails. B)
mmmm polished lip.
What's up with the cracked front bumper? I don't like those rims. Not my style. And that tire is huge.. wow, I run 205/40/17's and I rub a little when there's too much weight in the car.. madness
Raine,May 27 2005, 10:24 AM Wrote:What's up with the cracked front bumper? I don't like those rims. Not my style. And that tire is huge.. wow, I run 205/40/17's and I rub a little when there's too much weight in the car.. madness
[right][snapback]111065[/snapback][/right]

You rub with 40's?

What spring are you running. I want to go to that size when I get my new wheels.
What kind of Short RAM are you using?
I like the Hot Wheels hub caps.
Your going to have MAJOR rubbing issues with those tires. You don't want to go wider then a 215 on a focus and even that can cause issues. Hope ya got a 42-45mm offset also cause it looks like it's more of a 40 or 38 which will cause even more rubbing issues.

On a good note though, they look great on your car.
S2,May 27 2005, 07:23 PM Wrote:Your going to have MAJOR rubbing issues with those tires.  You don't want to go wider then a 215 on a focus and even that can cause issues.  Hope ya got a 42-45mm offset also cause it looks like it's more of a 40 or 38 which will cause even more rubbing issues.

[right][snapback]111099[/snapback][/right]

Like I said the rubbing is only bad with the car loaded up, and only in the rear where I have a trunk full of audio. It's all good, but I'm playing with the fenders regardless :)
Honkeytonk Monkey,May 27 2005, 01:50 PM Wrote:
S2,May 27 2005, 07:23 PM Wrote:Your going to have MAJOR rubbing issues with those tires.  You don't want to go wider then a 215 on a focus and even that can cause issues.  Hope ya got a 42-45mm offset also cause it looks like it's more of a 40 or 38 which will cause even more rubbing issues.

[right][snapback]111099[/snapback][/right]

Like I said the rubbing is only bad with the car loaded up, and only in the rear where I have a trunk full of audio. It's all good, but I'm playing with the fenders regardless :)
[right][snapback]111100[/snapback][/right]

Yeah for sure....!!

OT - you should come out to the next G2G (there are a few of us in the city here and there is a meet in Regina on June 4th or 5th)......
Raine,May 27 2005, 02:24 PM Wrote:What's up with the cracked front bumper? I don't like those rims. Not my style. And that tire is huge.. wow, I run 205/40/17's and I rub a little when there's too much weight in the car.. madness

I explained the crack in my post above the pictures. I have no idea how you rub with 205/40s although you're likely lowered a bit. I rub pretty bad, but it's nothing I can't fix by avoiding hitting large dips at high speed or telling fat chicks I am no longer interested... :P
ANTHONYD,May 27 2005, 09:47 AM Wrote:
Raine,May 27 2005, 10:24 AM Wrote:What's up with the cracked front bumper? I don't like those rims. Not my style. And that tire is huge.. wow, I run 205/40/17's and I rub a little when there's too much weight in the car.. madness

You rub with 40's?

What spring are you running. I want to go to that size when I get my new wheels.
[right][snapback]111068[/snapback][/right]

SHM springs and KYB GR2 dampers. only rub when there's around 300+ lbs or weight in addition to my own in the car... our rims down't have the right offset
linoleum,May 27 2005, 06:21 PM Wrote:What kind of Short RAM are you using?
[right][snapback]111095[/snapback][/right]

Home made out of a KKM filter from my old car and a cut up intake off a Civic. From the MAF back it's stock. Free is good, and it sounds pretty nice too! :) Flight of the Bumblebees at WOT, lol!