FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Testing Compression Ratio?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Any way to test the compression without going to a shop?

01-yellow-ZX3

Yup.

[Image: LIS20250.jpg]
buy a compression tester, take off all the plugs and wires, take out the fuse that controls the FI (like.. in my honda it would be the No 38 10A PGM-FI Main Relay in underhood fuse box) yank whatever the equivalent in the focus is.. screw in the compression tester.. maybe oil it up a bit so you don't mess up the o ring.. get someone to go in the car, put the gas to the floor to open up the throttle fully and crank the motor over 5 times so you can get a reading

no clue what the reading or tolerance should be for a focus, but i think the 2.0L 16v motor has similar compression to a B18A so i guess maybe the b18a spec of 185psi nominal, max allowable variance of 25psi should be somewhat of a ballpark for you

you are doing some hardcore FI install right? you should try to get your hands on the factory shop manual for the focus.. not a haynes or chiltons.. the actual ford manual.. i found the integra manual online. it has so much more detail than the haynes or chiltons.. totally blows them out of the water..
the focus is staying NA for a while and the supercharger is getting sold. Any way
I was checking on c-speedracing trying to get an idea but ya I cant figure out what fuse to pull out and I cant find any dam info for the focus.
talk to Nate (flo) we did this the other weekend on his car when it was stuck in london. We used that same tool that was posted.
I believe the stock compression ratio is 150. I think that's what the boy told me when he did the head. Before the new head went on it was around 150 and after 200.

And WTF is this Jason in your sig>???

WTB: 92-95 Civic EG.

Money problems or just changing teams?
ZX3TUNR,May 24 2005, 02:17 AM Wrote:the focus is staying NA for a while and the supercharger is getting sold. Any way
I was checking on c-speedracing trying to get an idea but ya I cant figure out what fuse to pull out and I cant find any dam info for the focus.
[right][snapback]110574[/snapback][/right]

I believe it's the #72 fuse under the hood... check the owner's manual to be sure (it's in there).

If I was closer to my car, I would just hop down and pull a fuse and see which one I pull out of habbit.
meford4u,May 24 2005, 05:07 AM Wrote:I believe the stock compression ratio is 150.  I think that's what the boy told me when he did the head.  Before the new head went on it was around 150 and after 200.

And WTF is this Jason in your sig>???

WTB: 92-95 Civic EG.

Money problems or just changing teams?
[right][snapback]110586[/snapback][/right]

Preparing so I dont run into the same problem as I did last winter and when my car breaks down.

sweet. im going to go check cdn tire for one of those tools.
There's a Fuel Pump relay fuse, pull it. Fuel pump will not get power, no issues.

also, I would not just take out the plug wires, I would unplug the connector on the coil then follow instructions above.