FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: New Rim / Tire Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Greetings

We recently posted on the buy forum that we are looking for a set of rims/tires for my wife's 00 ZX3. She wants to buy something shortly for the car.

What is the difference in ride quality for those who have changed from the stock size to a 16" or 17" rim and lower aspect tire? What about the appearance without a lowering kit? She likes a sportier drive but also wants to maintain some comfort. Should she stick with a 15 or 16" rim on this car? What about a wider tire with a lower aspect ratio on a 15 or 16" rim? What will stock rims take?

Comments appreciated. Peter
I recently went from a 17" tire back to my 15". The ride quality is night and day. I no longer cringe everytime I come up to a hole/bump in the ground. Its funny because My grilfriend noticed the difference right away to. She used to 'hold herself' when we'd see us approaching a bump/hole....she still does it to, but now she says 'wow, what a difference those tires made'....haha...

I do drive my car tho. If your drive less than 500km's a week, then I'd say go for the bigger wheels. I just couldnt take it anymore and then one day I switched to the 15's and havent gone back....the ride is just that much better. Handling wise, there is more flex due to the higher sidewall but other than that, its not really that noticeable.

its really a personal choice. I would suggest getting together with one of the guys here and go for a drive in a 17" equipped car to see how it is.
Split the difference and go 16s with a 50-series sidewall? :huh:

I'll post up my opinions when I get my new rims in a couple of weeks. I'm on the stocker 14" steelies, 185/65R14 Goodyear Integrity tires.
you know what....stay 16'....the stock 17's+SVT susp.... :unsure: now Im on 18's.....and stock suspension...my god...I can feel Every damn thing...and the little potholes that before felt like something, now they feel like the strut is going to come thru the hood!!!damn...2 weeks with the wheels and today bent the first one...lucky me that it was on the inside..!!!
dont go bigger than 16..!
redsvtfocus,May 18 2005, 07:59 PM Wrote:you know what....stay 16'....the stock 17's+SVT susp.... :unsure:  now Im on 18's.....and stock suspension...my god...I can feel Every damn thing...and the little potholes that before felt like something, now they feel like the strut is going to come thru the hood!!!damn...2 weeks with the wheels and today bent the first one...lucky me that it was on the inside..!!!
dont go bigger than 16..!
[right][snapback]109771[/snapback][/right]

If you ever want to go to 16's let me know :)
if you go stiffer/lower or get lower profile tires.. ride quality WILL suffer its just a question of much before you notice and how much you care IMHO... if you go lower profile tires without a drop the wheelgap just looks bigger i think..

i think svt suspension and good tires on the stock 15s would be my personal pick if i still had a focus
Thats how I'm going. I figure the car is for around town mostly and anything larger than a 15 would make it even slower of the line. Unless I go to a larger wheel that weighs less but then larger tires are more expensive, and I'm not going for much more power as this is the wifes car, intake, and exhuast is all I have planed for now. I called Sean Hyland about the SVT suspension and I was told it's on back order and they can only guess, maybe 30 days before they start to get some in.

So what I'm saying is unless you plan on going more power in the future as well then go larger wheels/tires, otherwise the 15s are fine

DRyanC