FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: My Gfs Car Failed Her Emissions Test.***passed***
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Now I have to pay crappy tire the 89.99 to diagnose the damn thing.... then the repairs on top of that.

Cars suck.

The woman rattled off about 20 things that could have made it fail.....

o2 sensor
cat converter
air filter
injectors
emissions control sensor

Jezus, the list went on and on.

It's a 96 tercel. It;s NEVER had to have work done to it before....

I hope this isn't the "big one"

$662.00

02 SENSOR, PLUGS AND WIRES, COIL BOOTS.

HERE'S THE GOATFUCK....

CRAPPY TIRE (APPLEBY AND UPPER MIDDLE) TELLS ME THE PLUGS AND WIRES NEED TO BE CHANGED..... THE THING IS, WE HAVE BEEN HAVING REGULAR OIL CHANGES DONE ON THIS CAR SINCE SHE GOT IT AND WIRES AND PLUGS HAVE NEVER BEEN AN ISSUE UNTILL NOW.

WHAT A JOKE.

SO I TOLD THE GUY TO REPLACE THE O2 SENSOR, AND I'LL CHANGE THE PLUGS AND WIRES.

TURNS OUT IT WAS THE SENSOR. THEY RAN ANOTHER TEST MORNING AND IT PASSED WITH FLYING COLOURS!!! I JUST SAVED 450+ DOLLARS BY TELLING TO ONLY CHANGE THE SENSOR.
You have good luck with cars, no?
When was the last time the Cat was replaced? I mean it is almost 10 years old...
Flofocus,May 16 2005, 01:26 PM Wrote:When was the last time the Cat was replaced?  I mean it is almost 10 years old...
[right][snapback]109236[/snapback][/right]

Don't say that.

I really would rather not have to dump a whack of money into this car.
lol, its 10 years old, about time something goes wrong....just be happy its only happening now and not like your focus :ph34r:
My dad had to replace the muffler on his 81 buick century.. No cat reinstalled. Sounds loud. MMMM no emissions tests :D
Flofocus,May 16 2005, 01:55 PM Wrote:lol, its 10 years old, about time something goes wrong....just be happy its only happening now and not like your focus  :ph34r:
[right][snapback]109244[/snapback][/right]

true i guess.
Thats strange. the acclaim passed barley all original emissions equipment. Its just started to puff oil now. poor car 330km.

Anthony... How badly did it fail ?
ANTHONYD,May 16 2005, 12:50 PM Wrote:Now I have to pay crappy tire the 89.99 to diagnose the damn thing.... then the repairs on top of that.

Cars suck.

The woman rattled off about 20 things that could have made it fail.....

o2 sensor
cat converter
air filter
injectors
emissions control sensor

Jezus, the list went on and on.

It's a 96 tercel. It;s NEVER had to have work done to it before....

I hope this isn't the "big one"
[right][snapback]109226[/snapback][/right]

Sad part is, I'll just bet that if you took the car to another garage and had them do a second emissions test, the damn thing could just have well passed the test. The Drive Clean tests are frankly nothing more than a scam because any car less than 5 years old shouldn't need a test because if its running that poorly as to not pass the damn thing would barely run at all and be throwing CEL's like a Christmas tree.

But at ten years, there could be more than a few things failing or ready to go on the car in this example. I'm sure you did the change the oil, oil filter & the air filter before the test right?

A '96 Tercel? That should be OBD-II compliant, any way you can borrow a code reader to see if its throwing any codes?

NefCanuck
I'm not too sure how bad it failed. She just started flipping out numbers... I don't know what they all mean.

Ill post tonight when I know more.
ANTHONYD,May 16 2005, 02:40 PM Wrote:I'm not too sure how bad it failed. She just started flipping out numbers... I don't know what they all mean.

Ill post tonight when I know more.
[right][snapback]109254[/snapback][/right]

If you have access to a scanner, scan her test results in as is (So that we can see what the car's maximums are supposed to be versus what her car spewed)

NefCanuck
from what you told me, you failed the the hydrocarbon test at 40kph by 19 ppm.

the limit is 66ppm, and you said 85ppm..

you didn't fail by THAT much... and running the car while it's warmer could be all it needs..

I have a code scanner (just got back warrantied connector), but I'm here, and your car is at crappy tire. They already have their evil clutches on it, so it'd cost more for me to go scan it, and pay to have them retest it...

i would like to know what they got for dilution during that test.. that would probably tell you with decent certainty right away if it were O2 so you could at least remove that from the equation.
Update:

02 SENSOR,
PLUGS AND WIRES
COILS.

PLUGS
11.99 X4
02 SENSOR 244.10
PLUG WIRES 24.20 X4
COILS 102.50X2

GRAND TOTAL.

$662.00

BLOOD PRESSURE 190 OVER 20.
ANTHONYD,May 16 2005, 03:23 PM Wrote:Update:

GRAND TOTAL.

$662.00

BLOOD PRESSURE 190 OVER 20.
[right][snapback]109265[/snapback][/right]

Does that whack include labour? 'cause those are some pretty pricey parts otherwise ($12 a sparkplug? :blink: ) and it needs an O2 sensor but isn't throwing a CEL light? is that even possible?

NefCanuck
uhhh, sounds a bit fishy to me. Id take it for a second opinion.
Nope no CEL.

As I left it.... I told him to order the o2 sensor....

I would then take the car and do the plugs and wires myself....

I'm NOT going to do the wires.....I'm going to have it re-tested first.
Dont do the coils. id do the wires depending on cost. also maybe run some fuel injector cleaner with midgrade or premium gas. thats all we had to do with my dads old camry to get it to pass.
There is no way this should cost me more than a couple hundered bucks to get this car to pass..
Why do you have to get it to pass? What about the $200 proceed directly to go pass??
Quote:You may qualify for the Repair Cost Limit (RCL). This only requires that you spend up to a predetermined amount on emissions related repairs to qualify for a conditional pass to renew your vehicle registration. A diagnosis of emissions system faults, cost estimates and any actual repairs must be performed at an accredited Drive Clean Facility, to qualify for the RCL.

The RCL does not apply if your have the repairs done elsewhere, or do them yourself. The limit also does not apply to replacement of a missing gas cap or catalytic converter, non emissions related repairs or repairs to correct a vehicle's smoking problem.

Once repaired, your vehicle must be re-tested. If you fail the re test, you can obtain a conditional pass which will allow the registration to be renewed for a two year period. The maximum fee for a re-test is $17.50, plus applicable taxes. You are allowed up to two re-tests at $17.50 each after repairs, as long as they are performed at the facility that performed the initial test.

therefore, once you bring it in, you have to keep paying them to get your conditional pass.... I wonder what the repair limit is for the toyota.

from another part of the drive clean site...

Quote:The Repair Cost Limit (RCL) sets a maximum of $450 which must be spent on emissions system repairs if your vehicle fails its initial Drive Clean emissions test. To take advantage of the RCL, you will require a full Drive Clean diagnostic. This will help pinpoint your vehicle’s emissions problems and allow a Drive Clean repair technician to prepare an accurate cost estimate of repairs. The cost of the diagnostic will count towards the RCL.

ugh...

I would hope that an O2 sensor would cost less than $450.
Pages: 1 2 3