FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Need Help Changing Transmission Fluid
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't wanna pay $130 for someone to change my tranny fluid. It seems foolish to me, and the price is probably only that high because it's only required every 50k or so... is it a hard job? Can anyone here give me a hand? I have an auto if it makes a difference.

01-yellow-ZX3

The car has to be level to change the fluid, so it can be difficult to do it yourself because of this.

I only paid $30 and supplied my own Mobil 1 fluid, its a quick job.
01-yellow-ZX3,May 11 2005 Wrote:The car has to be level to change the fluid, so it can be difficult to do it yourself because of this.

[right][snapback]108385[/snapback][/right]

Any particular reason why it has to be level? I'm not particularly concerned, my garage floor is flat as a pancake...
auto have fun changing the fluid in that. Your going to have to take it in, reason being is if u take off the tranny pan all your gonna get is all the tranny fluid after the torque converter. There's still all the tranny fluid that's on the other side of the torque converter that's just gonna sit there and not come out. So you'll maybe get a couple liters while the rest is just sitting, then once u fill again it'll mix with your old sheet and tada pointless oil change. See I learned something the whole 6hrs I worked for Great Canadian oil change(then I quit). They have this machine there that hooks up and removes all the tranny fluid and replaces at the same time with new stuff. Wish I could remember that machines name but ohh well. Next time I go there to visit some friends I'll grab a info sheet on it. But phone around, and if you have a Great canadian oil change phone them to. I think the price was only 70~ and that's with oil. Can't remember for sure tho.

01-yellow-ZX3

Raine,May 11 2005, 10:14 PM Wrote:
01-yellow-ZX3,May 11 2005 Wrote:The car has to be level to change the fluid, so it can be difficult to do it yourself because of this.

[right][snapback]108385[/snapback][/right]

Any particular reason why it has to be level? I'm not particularly concerned, my garage floor is flat as a pancake...
[right][snapback]108387[/snapback][/right]

If your car is lowered, you'll have to jack up the front to get access, then you'd have to jack the back to be level.
When I spoke to my mechanic he said he'd do it for $120 with that new good Ford ATX fluid... but I dunno, seems like a lot of money to pull a plug, hook up a vacuum, and re-oil...

01-yellow-ZX3

Looks like you need a new mechanic :lol:
its a pain in the ass dropping the pan on focus', the pan is always pretty hard to get off, and its fairly easy to damage the pan if you are prying on it.

the flush is way better at getting the fluid clean, I highly recommend the flush. Focus fluid seems to get dirty pretty fast.

we use a machine here at evans ford, but the cost of the fluid is fairly high, because we flush 15 liters through the trans. we charge $190 to do the complete flush, using a BG flush kit, which includes a cleaner and an additive.
Might wanna check with the dealer? :huh:

Tranny fluid changes are normally a bitch. If you're 50-60,000 KMs in from your last tranny service, consider doing your transmission filter and a flush at the same time (not sure if a flush is part of a change).
5spd?
Focus Is Art,May 12 2005, 09:02 AM Wrote:5spd?
[right][snapback]108447[/snapback][/right]

Nope, as I said earlier it's an auto...

Dealer wanted $149 last time I enquired there...

Safest be you guys think is to get someone to do it professionally tho?
Raine,May 13 2005, 05:17 PM Wrote:
Focus Is Art,May 12 2005, 09:02 AM Wrote:5spd?
[right][snapback]108447[/snapback][/right]

Nope, as I said earlier it's an auto...

Dealer wanted $149 last time I enquired there...

Safest be you guys think is to get someone to do it professionally tho?
[right][snapback]108786[/snapback][/right]

Best bet is prolly getting it done profesionally. Even tho it's kinda pricey.
boost til'bust,May 12 2005, 07:1 Wrote:its a pain in the ass dropping the pan on focus', the pan is always pretty hard to get off, and its fairly easy to damage the pan if you are prying on it.

the flush is way better at getting the fluid clean, I highly recommend the flush. Focus fluid seems to get dirty pretty fast.

we use a machine here at evans ford, but the cost of the fluid is fairly high, because we flush 15 liters through the trans. we charge $190 to do the complete flush, using a BG flush kit, which includes a cleaner and an additive.
[right][snapback]108413[/snapback][/right]

*thumbsup*

isn't it also a good idea to do a flush because a ton of the fluid stays in the system if you just drain it (even in manual cars)?