FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Obd Ii Code Reader
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I picked up one of these at Canadian Tire for $149.99 (reg. 249.99) today. A few weeks ago the mechnic across the street wanted to charge me $99 to read my check engine light code. For $50 bucks more I can now check it any time I want.

[Image: 0251030_450_CC_31ee9.jpg]
Have you tried it yet? Does it come with a book of codes? Can it be updated via internet?

DRyanC
Does it just read codes or does it read all data like, coolant temperature, voltage blah blah blah , everything that comes up on the self diagnostic on the odometer display? If yes that would be like an entire cluster of instruments for very cheap and I'd leave it permanently hooked up. I'd paint it to match the interior too! Is it back lit?
A great tool for Focus owners indeed.
I just got it last night and I haven't opened the package yet, but it looked like there were a couple of thick manuals in the packaging. Here is a listing of codes and descriptions for Ford:

Ford codes

In my trouble shooting after my JRSC install I did get a few CELs and this would have helped. All of my vacuum leaks are fixed and now the car is idling perfectly. My EGR gasket was pretty bad. Now I got to help the top end with some bigger injectors and a retune on the dyno of the SCT chip.
i just paid $110 for Ford to check my codes!! :angry: Jubilee Ford can lick my sack!!
Nice! I want to try out the SCT datalogger. Is it correct to say it well check all the codes for me to? I was told that anyway but i cant remeber.
ZX3TUNR,May 11 2005, 05:15 AM Wrote:Nice! I want to try out the SCT datalogger. Is it correct to say it well check all the codes for me to? I was told that anyway but i cant remeber.
[right][snapback]108070[/snapback][/right]

pretty much all scan tools will pull codes for you. So the SCT should do the same.

I'll check codes for beer.
dBlast,May 9 2005, 08:33 PM Wrote:I picked up one of these at Canadian Tire for $149.99 (reg. 249.99) today.  A few weeks ago the mechnic across the street wanted to charge me $99 to read my check engine light code.  For $50 bucks more I can now check it any time I want.

[Image: 0251030_450_CC_31ee9.jpg]
[right][snapback]107628[/snapback][/right]

Thanks for the tip dBlast.

I just picked one up the other day, as per your advice. I got the last one in my area (until they order it in).

I figured it's at least an investment if I plan on keeping this car and running into the ground. The great thing is the reader is generic i.e. applies to almost all major manufacturers (with codes from GM, Chrysler, Honda and Toyotoa).

Don't be panicked with the three manuals...it's just the manual in English< French, and Spanish :)