FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Rs Motor!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is there someone on here that did a swap with a RS motor?? Did you guys think it's worth putting a RS motor... I've been told that It would be better to buy a RS motor because it already comes Turbo charged and everything.

so, what do you guys think??

(If this was already posted im sorry)
well, the cost of buying and shipping one over would be pretty high. i think it would be worth it to get a whole front clip so you could make sure you had all the little bits and pieces for the swap. plus then you could steal the running gear or any body parts that were not damaged! ;)

i think it would be a good swap as it would give you some "street cred" for doing it plus it is a built motor that is already turbo'ed. many would say you can get more power for less money just turboing your zetec, and i'm one of them but i still think it would be a sweet swap and i don't know of anyone who has done it yet.

now that i think about it, i'll ask my supplier if he can find me a RS front clip or numerous ones....

thanks for the idea, if i can get them i'll hook you up with a killer deal on one for giving me the idea! ;) :D
I would by a RS motor for when my zetec blows up
ZX3TUNING,May 6 2005, 06:07 PM Wrote:thanks for the idea, if i can get them i'll hook you up with a killer deal on one for giving me the idea! ;)  :D
[right][snapback]106870[/snapback][/right]

No problem...Just don't forget about me :D

Hmmm........

I wonder how would an RS motor work out with a powerworks SC instead? B)
probably really well.
plus you could sell the RS turbo kit and ECU to someone and make back some of the costs! ;) :D
Does somebody know a site when they sells import motors?
there were a few on ebay how ever ....ya... EBAY

my bumpers and s**t from germany alone were $$$ I cant imagine was the hell an engine would cost
focusonthis_88,May 7 2005, 02:09 AM Wrote:Does somebody know a site when they sells import motors?
[right][snapback]106926[/snapback][/right]

'import' motors.. isn't this a ford site? :P

hybrid connections based out of buffalo ny is a place i'd trust with my money

but i am not sure they have worked with a focus before for a swap..
The cost's of shipping pne of those over, installing it, tuning it, getting it to fit etc.... would cost more than the value of your car! :lol:

What would be the point??? other than being ubber cool.
buy a turbo kit for your zetec.

Make more power than the RS for cheaper. ;)

Enginre alone Id bet would be 5K +.....then like Anthony said + shipping + tuning + instalation....
ANTHONYD,May 9 2005, 06:15 AM Wrote:What would be the point??? other than being ubber cool.
[right][snapback]107271[/snapback][/right]

i thought that was the point?!?
what is the point of stuffing a V8 and RWD into a focus?

ZX3TUNING,May 9 2005, 10:48 AM Wrote:
ANTHONYD,May 9 2005, 06:15 AM Wrote:What would be the point??? other than being ubber cool.
[right][snapback]107271[/snapback][/right]

i thought that was the point?!?
what is the point of stuffing a V8 and RWD into a focus?
[right][snapback]107284[/snapback][/right]

Your right.

But it's just a focus after all.

It's not like it's a 55 buick.

screw the rs motor...go with the 2.3 and turbocharge that....hell of a project, but if you are already going to the trouble of getting the rs motor(which I cant see being all that cheap), plus installing it, and knowing that anytime you need parts for it, you will be waiting, and spending alot of $$....I say 2.3 turbo. The rs only makes something like 225hp anyway...so you will have to spend money to upgrade that motor if you want to make some more power.

2.3L turbo...do it. :blink:
the cost of swaping in a 2.3L and turboing it would probably be more than swaping in an RS motor. plus if you can get the RS tranny then you get a quaife, stronger gears and 4.06 final drive to boot! :D
the RS would need upgrades for more power but don't forget the motor is already built... cannot say the same about the 2.3L.
there are ups and downs to both, the 2.3L would make monsterous torque but it's still a fairly new motor and not much in the way of beefier internals that are available or in developement . the RS motor is still a Zetec so parts are very interchangable should something break.

the RS swap wouldn't be for everyone just like the V8 swap or the Zetec RWD conversnions, but it's cool and would be something you don't see often if not ever!
ZX3TUNING,May 10 2005, 02:12 AM Wrote:the cost of swaping in a 2.3L and turboing it would probably be more than swaping in an RS motor. plus if you can get the RS tranny then you get a quaife, stronger gears and 4.06 final drive to boot! :D
the RS would need upgrades for more power but don't forget the motor is already built... cannot say the same about the 2.3L.
there are ups and downs to both, the 2.3L would make monsterous torque but it's still a fairly new motor and not much in the way of beefier internals that are available or in developement . the RS motor is still a Zetec so parts are very interchangable should something break.

the RS swap wouldn't be for everyone just like the V8 swap or the Zetec RWD conversnions, but it's cool and would be something you don't see often if not ever!
[right][snapback]107703[/snapback][/right]

like you said though, its pretty much a built zetec...so what would be the advantage over a zetec with work?

at least the 2.3 gives you displacement advantages.
Man what are you waiting for V8 4.6LTR......... By the time you would spend the cash for an RS motor you could have a Mustang drive line in it and still have cash left over.....

I know some who has just about everything and can't find a body to put it in......
MAil me
~$10,000usd for the V8 Swap kit, not motor, tranny or driveline...

RS front clip $5-9,000cnd drops right in, not crazy chasis modifacation needed.

also large torque in a short wheel base = serious traction issues!

and yes a built Zetec would work... but build a Zetec yourself, it's still not cheap to do plus... it's still a built Zetec. the RS Duratec(*cough*zetec*cough*) was built by Ford, designed by Cosworth. it's a little different than a Zetec you could build, plus it's got the "cool" factor of being a RS motor.

like i said in my first post, it's not a swap not for everyone! as most people will say, "boost your Zetec, it's cheaper!" :rolleyes:
Not sure where you getting your prices from bud check out steeda V8 conversion.
About $3500 for the kit.
link please?
i checked out both Steeda.com and Steeda.ca in the focus sections and didn't see such a kit. a link would be helpful.

still, i doubt that is a complete conversion kit, also doesn't cover all the custom work required. i doubt any of the odd bits and pieces like the fuel cell, fuel pump, fuel lines, etc. and it definately doesn't include the motor, tranny, ecu, wire harness, rear end, driveshaft, etc... it's also in USD, not CND.

average price of the complete V8 swap, labor, bits and pieces factored in are running most people who have done the swap about $10-18,000usd depending on the motor and tranny used along with the state of tune of said motor! those are the facts from people who have done it, not speculations.

but please, if you know of a way to do the V8 Swap for less, i would love to see an itemized list with prices and install times.

beauty of the RS swap is it's pretty much "plug-and-play!"
not cutting or fabrication required.
re&re time is about 5 hours for the complete motor and tranny by a skilled mechanic on a normal focus, so maybe 10-15hours max for the full RS motor swap if you are using a front clip.
Pages: 1 2