FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Another Ebay Invention..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Not sure if this is repost, but I am sure I havn't seen this thing before...

ebay

;)
Focus Is Art,May 5 2005, 08:05 PM Wrote:Not sure if this is repost, but I am sure I havn't seen this thing before...

ebay

;)
[right][snapback]106689[/snapback][/right]

I've seen those advertised here by local parts shops, the price is nearly $100.... that's a lotta gas you gotta save to pay for the thing... if it even works... 'cause marketing bumph aside, would the air even keep swirling once it passed through that thing?

NefCanuck
theoretically the air would continue to swirl. u can test this by using the simple thing of having a bottle like a 591ml pop bottle, half full, swirling the liquid inside will make it funnel like a tornado. Now if you stop swirling the liquid will gradually stop. But if momentum is continued so will the swirl, so as long as air continues to blow past this thing it should continue to keep everything swirling. That said this one actually looks pretty restrictive. Very narrow openings on the other side. Whether you'd see any benefit is highly doubtful.
Actually, it would be a lot less effective for air than a liquid, as there's less mass for inertia to affect. Rather, make that less mass and less density per unit cubed. Nevermind the fact that you're expending a LOT more energy in the mechanical motion of making the swirl happen so voraciously than you will actually reap as a result of ssaid "swirling action". A swirl of that level would NOT take place as you'd have to be drawing V8-levels of air into the engine. There is no replacement for forced induction (in this case), to butcher a phrase from a past president of Honda Motors.

In short, these things aren't worth the 3% deducted by Paypal for payment fees, nevermind the full price.
When people try to imagine "flow" they often refer to or think about how a liquid would act when talking about air. Always remember: gases (air) can be compressed but liquids cannot. You just can't compare make the comparison.
I realized that it'd be a mass amount of air required in order to make this swirl. hence why I said I highly doubt u'd see any gain from this. :D
It would make the air swirl until it hit the throttle plate. then you would have massive turbulance..That thing is just a restriction in the intake tube. If you use the two bottle example in the "tornado" ads you'll notice the bottles are sealed. Of course the water will slurp through unless it's spinning. The air needs to travel into the bottle that is emptying. If both bottles were open on both ends the water would flow just as fast if not faster than spinning it.
Like the bogus cell phone radiation chips my friend is trying to sell, you have to stop and think. If these products really were effective, don't you think the manufacturers would incorporate it into the original product?
ZTWsugardaddy,May 5 2005, 10:35 PM Wrote:Like the bogus cell phone radiation chips my friend is trying to sell, you have to stop and think.  If these products really were effective, don't you think the manufacturers would incorporate it into the original product?
[right][snapback]106715[/snapback][/right]

You mean build into a useless appearance and "performance" package! :lol:

Seriously... the s**t some assholes come up with, somedays I am genuinely afraid.
My dad put one in his old van ... I laughed at him while he was installing it ... then he was like ... "YOULL SEE"

I took it out the next night without him knowing and he came back 2 weeks later and said he completely noticed a difference. Without a doubt even.

I told him to look at the pipe... and I got to laugh even more.
tdot-zx3,May 5 2005, 09: Wrote:My dad put one in his old van ... I laughed at him while he was installing it ... then he was like ... "YOULL SEE"

I took it out the next night without him knowing and he came back 2 weeks later and said he completely noticed a difference. Without a doubt even.

[right][snapback]106726[/snapback][/right]

So damn funny and mean at the same damn time. Your an evil evil man.. but very very funny.
tdot-zx3,May 6 2005, 03: Wrote:I took it out the next night without him knowing and he came back 2 weeks later and said he completely noticed a difference. Without a doubt even.
Like most useless products, the positive testimonials are a result of the "Placebo" effect.
another example of the flawed "butt dyno" some people think they have :D
And If that thing break up and go into ur engine..... :ph34r:
tdot-zx3,May 5 2005, 11: Wrote:My dad put one in his old van ... I laughed at him while he was installing it ... then he was like ... "YOULL SEE"

Then he hit you with a fire extinguisher right?