FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Well.. She Leaked (update)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Remember a while ago when I was having an exahust leak between the race header and flex. I tired that sealing stuff good to 7000F. It worked good till now. It blew out and now my leak is worse then it origionaly was lol.

Trying to remember that stuff dad was talking about.
Their called gaskets.... :lol:

I had some stuff called exhaust cement from crappy tire that seemed to work alright on my cavalier once....
mr gasket race header gasket material...it is white and it works...comes in sheets about 20 bucks as I remeber....I used this on my header to hi-flow .....THE only thing that works....

put a little film of copper silcone on to seat it and crank it down....done

hehehehehe....did I not tell you to do this before....
hardk0re,May 3 2005, 04:41 PM Wrote:Their called gaskets....  :lol:

I had some stuff called exhaust cement from crappy tire that seemed to work alright on my cavalier once....
[right][snapback]106228[/snapback][/right]

how many gaskets does a guy gotta go threw lol

the gasket + sealor blew out.
Well I found the leak really fast when i got under the car. I was a tad wrong LOL

The RTV gasket I did was actually in perfect shape. It was the gasket I used between the flex and header joint. Blew the middle right out. So I took the other metal gasket I had + RTV. Got that baby sealed.

[Image: leak001.jpg]

[Image: leak003.jpg]

Heres a pic of the joint I thought it was. Seems to be good.

[Image: leak004.jpg]
Damn Jay... that's messed.

Reminds me of a valve cover gasket problem I've got with the Ranger.

Does it seem solid now?
I saw a problem in your photos....

Your not using the rear support bracket for your exhaust header. That is why your gasket broke. The joint is being "flexed" by your motor movement and eventually your gasket will break. You will also end up one day maybe breaking welds or damaging your header.

Go out and find the rear support brackets and put them back on.....if it doesn't fit right you may need to cut the center out of the bracket so you have two brackets that go on each side.

I'm just trying to help.... B)
when I first put the header on I couldnt find a way to mount the bracket on. Its a 4-1 header so it stays super wide till the very last 2 inches of the header. bracket was to small.
car drives super nice again thow :D
Cut the braket, but put it on.....else its going to happen again especially once you have more power down to the wheels.

Edit: if you need a photo I can take one of mine since I had cut mine when I put my turbo downpipe on....

Think about it, your engine is rocking back and forth, now your flex is attached to your header now. If that joint is not secured to the motor, then the movement will be absorbled by your header, probably most by the flex but still some force is exerted on the header. The header was not designed for this, it was designed to be secured at the head and at the rear of the engine....