FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Speed Limiter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can anyone let me know what are the ways to disable the speed limiter?
I have a 03 ZTW, and the fastest it can go is about 178km/hr before the fuel gets cut off.
Is there a reason that you should be travelling at a speed greater than 178km/h? :o
dBlast,Apr 30 2005, 04:44 PM Wrote:Is there a reason that you should be travelling at a speed greater than 178km/h? :o
[right][snapback]105597[/snapback][/right]

err.. well.. not really.
It is the fact that there is something monitoring my car that bothers me.
chip is pretty much the only way to do it... so have claimed varrious little ticks over the years but i have never seen any work.

some chips just bump the limiter up, some remove it all together.
the limiter is there for 2 reasons, so you don't go past the speed rating on the stock tires, and after 125mph the focus aerodynamics beging to unstabilize the car without the aerodynamic aid of aftermarket body and suspension parts.
cowymo,Apr 30 2005, 04:49 PM Wrote:err..  well.. not really.
It is the fact that there is something monitoring my car that bothers me.
[right][snapback]105599[/snapback][/right]

it can be upped with a flash/chip. But honestly, if this is impinging on your rights, you really need more to worry about in your life.
Its not a good idea to hit it to the point where ther car shuts the fuel off. NO engine going to the fuel for that period of time :blink:

Either way you shouldnt be worried about getting past 178km. You should be worried how fast it gets you to 0-60. In 1/4 mile race your never going to hit 178 anyway so why bother.
ZX3TUNR,Apr 30 2005, 06:44 PM Wrote:Either way you shouldnt be worried about getting past 178km. You should be worried how fast it gets you to 0-60. In 1/4 mile race your never going to hit 178 anyway so why bother.
[right][snapback]105613[/snapback][/right]

This is a good point. Anyway, I'm very satisfy with the performance of my wagon.. :lol: I have smoked about 4 Integra (2 stocks and 2 mods) on pick-up at traffic lights already. :P
dBlast,Apr 30 2005, 12:44 PM Wrote:Is there a reason that you should be travelling at a speed greater than 178km/h? :o
[right][snapback]105597[/snapback][/right]

Yeh..good call.. :huh:

I'd suggest you cool it on the roads and leave the racing for the track man!!!

</not impressed>
cowymo has a valid question. From all the cars that I owned focus has the lowest governed top speed.

178km/h is not that fast. Here how it compares to the other cars that I owned.

1989 Corolla 1.6L = 180km/h
1997 Corolla 1.8L = 185km/h
1998 Caravan 3.0 V6 = 190km/h
2001 Neon R/T 2.0L = 225km/h
2002 Camry 3.0 V6 = 200km/h

I'm not saying this is a big deal but 178 km/h seems low for a car with a 2.0L engine. Please.. do not attempt to drive your car at these speeds if you haven't experience and high speed driving. It takes precision to control the at these speeds. One mistake can mean losing your life.
cowymo,Apr 30 2005, 07:55 PM Wrote:This is a good point.  Anyway, I'm very satisfy with the performance of my wagon..  :lol:  I have smoked about 4 Integra (2 stocks and 2 mods) on pick-up at traffic lights already.  :P
[right][snapback]105626[/snapback][/right]

i had a hard time smoking anything but school buses and garbage trucks in my stock 5spd zx3.. are you running teh boosT in your wagon?
Any SCT tune, no matter how mild, can also remove your limiter.

Again, unless you're boosted or running a serious buildup with nitrous, you're not going to need remove the limter. There's enough "other" logging that we can't turn off that happens each and every day, anyways. :ph34r:

I wonder how long it DOES log data for, cause my jaunt at 150 today was nice :D

I forget how quick you've got to be running to break 110 MPH at the track... I think low 13s with a good hook off the line and good traction will get you there, or high 12s anyways.

OR, you're a mountain motor that runs 13s and doesn't hook till somewhere near the 1/8th

I've seen more than a few of those while growing up in Toronto :D
naz,Apr 30 2005, 06:30 PM Wrote:
cowymo,Apr 30 2005, 07:55 PM Wrote:This is a good point.  Anyway, I'm very satisfy with the performance of my wagon..  :lol:  I have smoked about 4 Integra (2 stocks and 2 mods) on pick-up at traffic lights already.  :P
[right][snapback]105626[/snapback][/right]

i had a hard time smoking anything but school buses and garbage trucks in my stock 5spd zx3.. are you running teh boosT in your wagon?
[right][snapback]105642[/snapback][/right]

I double that. I have a hard time smoking anything too.
NOS2Go4Me,Apr 30 2005, 05:31 PM Wrote:I wonder how long it DOES log data for, cause my jaunt at 150 today was nice :D
[right][snapback]105643[/snapback][/right]

Do you mean like a "black box" that could be accessed by a dealer or law enforcement for accident reconstruction or whatever?

I'm 99.999999% sure the Focus is not so equipped, yet, but the industry is definately heading that way. I believe it is standard for all GM vehicles.

Then there is that "voluntary" insurance issued black box being offered...... :rolleyes:

As for the speed limiter, there is probably a technical issue for it being there. For example whats the speed rating of stock 14" tires anyway?

EDIT:

As for this:

Quote:..  I have smoked about 4 Integra (2 stocks and 2 mods) on pick-up at traffic lights already. 

Please don't say crap like that, it makes me mad. You smoked nothing. The only time "smoke" and Focus should be used in the same sentance is too describe an underhood fire.

Can we just make a new rule that nobody can describe their performance as "smokin' " till they are running 13's? Until that point is reached please just describe acceleration as "satisfying" or "satisfactory or "pedestrian".
Jaspher,Apr 30 2005, 10:32 PM Wrote:I double that.  I have a hard time smoking anything too.
[right][snapback]105644[/snapback][/right]

Well, I'm really not sure about you guys. I'm driving a 5 speed wagon. Just changed the air intake and autolite D-platinum plugs and it just run like a beast.

It takes me a 1.5 to 2sec to get from 0-60km/h on the 1st gear and 100km on 2nd, and 140 on 3rd.. and by that time, I can hardly see their headlights from my mirrors..

I only find it hard to smoke 4x4 ford trucks.. they are really the monsters beasts!!..
cowymo,Apr 30 2005, 08:04 PM Wrote:
Jaspher,Apr 30 2005, 10:32 PM Wrote:I double that.  I have a hard time smoking anything too.

Well, I'm really not sure about you guys. I'm driving a 5 speed wagon. Just changed the air intake and autolite D-platinum plugs and it just run like a beast.

It takes me a 1.5 to 2sec to get from 0-60km/h on the 1st gear and 100km on 2nd, and 140 on 3rd.. and by that time, I can hardly see their headlights from my mirrors..

I only find it hard to smoke 4x4 ford trucks.. they are really the monsters beasts!!..
[right][snapback]105685[/snapback][/right]

Please, for the love of all things holy quit this now, you about to be ASS RAPED.
2001 ZTS,Apr 30 2005, 09:10 PM Wrote:
cowymo,Apr 30 2005, 08:04 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]105685[/snapback][/right]

Please, for the love of all things holy quit this now, you about to be ASS RAPED.
[right][snapback]105686[/snapback][/right]

The last thing I want is to be ASS RAPED. :o
2001 ZTS,Apr 30 2005, 11:11 PM Wrote:till they are running 13's? Until that point is reached please just describe acceleration as "satisfying" or "satisfactory or "pedestrian".
[right][snapback]105656[/snapback][/right]

you forgot MeGa SiC

usage example: the acceleration in my focus is MeGa SiC when teh ZeT3c KiCkZ iN y0
Quote:The last thing I want is to be ASS RAPED. 

Me too, I hear it has da sux?

Again, its nice that we all like our Focus's (I like mine lots!) and that they are "peppy" or whatever but they aren't anything capable of smokin anything other than laden buses, dump trucks and farm equipment.

As I recommended earlier:

Quote:Can we just make a new rule that nobody can describe their performance as "smokin' " till they are running 13's? Until that point is reached please just describe acceleration as "satisfying" or "satisfactory or "pedestrian".
As a ZTW, if you're approaching the 0-60 run in anything close to 9 seconds, consider yourself blessed.

It FEELS fast, but it's not THAT fast. Take a ride in a fast car, SOON, to remind yourself of just what fast entails.

Andrew - I believe I want to categorize my handling as satisfying and and my acceleration as satisfactory. Will that suffice? :D
Somebody bump that EVO video from a couple days back...............that's smokin.

Now imagine a Focus with "wires" and an "intake" beside that. :rolleyes:

My point exactly.
Pages: 1 2