FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Lowering Zx3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hey..
im looking to buy springs asap, and was wondering what is the best hight to have me focus at? 1.5? 2? keep in mind that i have 17" summer rims.. need help!!!
factor in the cost of dampers if you are gonna go 1.5 or 2 lower

maybe consider a SVT suspension?
excellent suggestion on the SVT. It has all the capabilites and is tried and tested for the Focus. Not overly expensive, around $300US I believe through TAG motorsport, and it lowers the car around 1.5".
Doesnt the SVT kit lower the car .05 inches. :huh:
Yeah, I was under the impression it was a 1/2" drop as well.... right on the Steeda.ca site it says that, anyways. That's why I'm considering it for after the wedding :)
Yes the SVT is a 1/2" drop (although some claim a 3/4" drop). If your looking to actually LOWER the car, don't bother with the SVT kit. It's a great setup but it won't give you the lowered stance that the majority of focus modders are looking at.

Personally I feel a 1.5" drop is ideal for Canada (the climate, shitty roads, etc). Eibach's Prokit is one of the most popular suspension mods out there for the focus. It's a 1.5" drop so you don't have to worry about things like speed bumps, parking ramps, driveways, etc. If you do go with the Pro's, it's recommended that you get the Eibach Pro Dampers as well but that being said, I've had my stock dampers on my car for about a year with the Eibach Pro's and only now has the ride quality started to diminish. I plan on getting the dampers here in spring but just letting you know, you can use your stock dampers with the Eibach Pro's for the time being. It's more common then you think as it's pretty costly to do it all in one step (however if you are not doing the installs yourself, it's more costly if you have to get a shop to do the install twice, once for the springs and then later on for the dampers).

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Eibach Prokit.......

You can go lower as well, the Eibach Sportlines for comparison is a 2" drop but once your around the 2" area, your going to need a camber kit to get the car back into specs (extra cost), specs meaning get the car back into alignment. As well with a 2" drop, your stock dampers are going to wear out alot quicker. I would recommend anything over a 1.5" drop, get the equivalent dampers for sure.
i take it that you would not need a camber kit for the 1.5" drop
My mistake on the typo, sorry. It is a 1/2" drop.

I would still recommend it with only a slight drop. Going to the 1.5"-2" drop can be really rough on your spine if not done properly. It would be killer in a town like hamilton or Sudbury.
Quote:You can go lower as well, the Eibach Sportlines for comparison is a 2" drop but once your around the 2" area, your going to need a camber kit to get the car back into specs (extra cost), specs meaning get the car back into alignment.  As well with a 2" drop, your stock dampers are going to wear out alot quicker.  I would recommend anything over a 1.5" drop, get the equivalent dampers for sure.
[right][snapback]105417[/snapback][/right]

I needed the Camber kit after my 2"drop and my dampers are done!
svt setup is great bang for the buck, and its as easy to live with as you're going to get.. 1/2" is barely anything though.. its going to be very subtle.. i have a 3/4" lowering and you have to look at the car for a bit to realize its been lowered, and its not even close to that 'tucked' look everyone thinks is MaDD TiTe

that said.. i have at most 5" of ground clearance and I have scraped the front crossmember once over a raised manhole/dip in the road combo, and the front lip has taken its share of scraping

you really have to think hard if its feasible to have a 1.5" or 2" drop, especially since it looks like you have a body kit
The best height to go really depends on what you want and what driving you do and where. If you drive year round, in snow and potholes then you are going to want a lesser drop. The lower you go the greater the risk to damaging the car, especially with a body kit. If you mainly want improved handling the SVT setup is a great way to go.
I've got the SVT kit, in a box. It goes on at the end of May and I'll take lots of before and after pictures.

Do the gurus think I should replace upper mounts and bearings at the same time seeing that everything is apart anyways? It may be near 5 years old but only 60K.