FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: To Extend Or Not To Extend
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
my warranty. i dunno what to do, i have about 2 months to decide. i do not know what future plans are gonna be with regards to engine mods and what not. also i would have to add the the cost of the warranty to my loan which i dont want to do.
advice please.
Ever since my warranty ran out I haven't had anything break on me so lucky I didn't get it. It was $1200 for me so for it to be worth it $1200 worth of stuff had to go wrong!
MAlby7,Apr 18 2005, 10:37 PM Wrote:Ever since my warranty ran out I haven't had anything break on me so lucky I didn't get it.  It was $1200 for me so for it to be worth it $1200 worth of stuff had to go wrong!
[right][snapback]102554[/snapback][/right]
ya thats how im looking at it, i dunno plus that 1200 worht of potential mod money.
I got lucky that I got ford's "good will" program working for me, being that after mine expired I was only at 30 something km... given the choice today I would have bought it without question
poll added

01-yellow-ZX3

Definitely yes!

Its a focus, of course get it!

Mine paid for itself 3 times over in 5 months.

Just get the basecare package, I only paid $750 for mine.
really depends on how long you are planning to keep it and if you want to modify

if you are gonna modify anyway and will ditch it shortly, i think don't bother

if you want to keep it stock and drive it into the ground, get it right away
keep it for at least 4-6 years til i get out of school and get a decent job
mods--could go boosted but not for at least 1 or 2 years.

01-yellow-ZX3

The resale value on an extended warranty package is awesome, worth every penny if you ask me!
no.

Stash half of that money in a bank account in case anything does go wrong (the odds are in your favour, as warranties are profit makers).

Spend the other half on the mods of your choice ;)
Marction,Apr 19 2005, 12:43 AM Wrote:no.

Stash half of that money in a bank account in case anything does go wrong (the odds are in your favour, as warranties are profit makers).

[right][snapback]102592[/snapback][/right]

Warranty with Ford=Profit Maker. <_< , I dont think so.

If its a 00 or 01, get it. Its paid itself over manytimes already for me. Just got a new Gasket cover (again), and a Steering pump for $100.00 (warranty deductible). :D
Flofocus,Apr 19 2005, 09:02 AM Wrote:
Marction,Apr 19 2005, 12:43 AM Wrote:no.

[right][snapback]102592[/snapback][/right]

Warranty with Ford=Profit Maker. <_< , I dont think so.

If its a 00 or 01, get it. Its paid itself over manytimes already for me. Just got a new Gasket cover (again), and a Steering pump for $100.00 (warranty deductible). :D
[right][snapback]102631[/snapback][/right]

Nate I have a 2000 and so far thye only thing I've replaced after warranty was the ignition cylinder. It was a lot but not $1200.
I guess your one of the lucky ones Mike. ;) (I consider myself lucky to, as I have not had HUGE issues with my car, especially now, since its been boosted)

Like I've said, I would be screwed without the extended plan. Everytime I go into the dealership to pick up my car, they find something. Ususally its nothing major, but I'm glad I've had that plan, I mean, just this week it probably saved me close to $500.00 :ph34r:

I guess what it comes down to is:

-Have you had major work on your car so far?
-Is it constantly in the shop?

If yes to any of those questions, I would get the extended warranty.
Are you going to mod the motor itself (not intake, but TB, cams, gears, UDPs, etc)? If so, skip the warranty. If you're a I/H/E guy, get the warranty.

I wouldn't have gone mod-crazy right now if they had let me extend my warranty, actually... but apparently you can only buy the damn used warranty once. I should have bought it for 3 years, but then again - I'm so glad rightnow that I didn't waste the extra cash :ph34r: B)
NOS2Go4Me,Apr 19 2005, 09:49 AM Wrote:Are you going to mod the motor itself (not intake, but TB, cams, gears, UDPs, etc)? If so, skip the warranty.
[right][snapback]102648[/snapback][/right]

not right now but most likely in the future i will either go boost or highest output N/A.

01-yellow-ZX3

My car is moderately modded engine wise, and the extended warranty was still worth while for me.

Remember guys, theres a crazy markup on these packages. I bartered with my dealer and they chopped over $300 off. Just because its a large initial investment, it'll pay for itself GUARANTEED.

All you need is 3 minor problems to go wrong in 70,000 kms or 3 years and it'll pay for itself. Like I said, I've already saved myself over a grand by purchasing this.

This isn't your average Future Shop ESP where you'll never need it.
suit yourselves...Ford wouldn't offer an extended warranty package at that price if they LOST money on it.

if you think your car is that bad...that you'll need more than $1200 in warranty work in the next couple of years...maybe you should be taking that $1200 and putting it down on another car ;)

(I like the suggestion of using previous repair history as an indicator...if your car has been trouble-free...why bother paying for extended warranty...if it's been in the shop a lot, maybe it's a lemon)
I have extended warranty, and I've already used it once.
i didn't have to fix much on my 2000 zx3 either, just hte lock cylinder and all the recalls.. but it seems like i was lucky

you're rolling the dice with the warranty though.. if you didn't get it and you need it, i'll suddenly seem super cheap..
i have an 01 sedan, and the warranty has paid for itself over about 3 times, if not more, i like it, i just don't like how you are sometimes confined to certain mods, but it's worth it, IMO
Pages: 1 2