FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: What To Look For.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am looking to buy a focus sometime around July as my second car. It will most definetly be a used one. So I am wondering what stuff to look for in a Focus. I drive a DSM so I've seen my share of problems from day 1 with this thing, I hope to avoid the instant repairs this time. More specifically it will be a ZX3 focus, 5 speed.
If you want reliability and not a car that needs constant repairs, then go for a 02+ Focus zx3,5.

The 00 & 01's were plaugued with recalls, and fuk-ups from Ford. I'd say go for a 00 if the recalls have been up to date since that is what I drive and I haven't had MAJOR problems with my car since the Fuel pump recall. Others will tell you different and they have every right to with some of their work orders. :huh:

I guess Im a lucky 00 owner. :lol:
I will look for one up to date on recalls then, anything else? and how many recalls have there been in total?
EDIT: Maybe 8 actually

different recalls affect different models.
Hey dude, you're the guy I sold my Initial D dvds to, eh? Welcome to the club.

Definitely look for a 2002+, then you'll avoid a lot of the recall mess. I've got a 2002 and havent had any mechanical problems yet.
Yes, thats me gotta love the initial D. It comes down to a focus or a J-Body for the second car and J-bodys are ugly, Foci are sexy. So a 2002+ or an older one with up to date recalls done should do the trick.
Big-Cat,Apr 18 2005, 02: Wrote:Yes, thats me gotta love the initial D. It comes down to a focus or a J-Body for the second car and J-bodys are ugly, Foci are sexy. So a 2002+ or an older one with up to date recalls done should do the trick.
[right][snapback]102385[/snapback][/right]

Get the focus, and dont compare it ever again to a jbody. :P :lol:

I know everyone hates J-bodys as do I but those are my only real options for a newer car. I mean civics are there too but I rather go with something domestic. And Foci can look soo sweet such as a few I have seen around town. Jason's being one of the best examples of an amazing focus(nothing I drive anytime soon will look that good or have that kind of money put into but it's an example of what is possible with these cars)
the 00-01 have alot of recalls but not all the cars are affected by certain recalls.. can be just a batch etc.. but its good to have them all CHECKED..

if you can afford it, get a 02..
I'm hoping to spend $10,000 -$15,000 range on this car so more then likely an 00 will be what I get unless I can't find a ZX3 with all the recalls dealt with.
Big-Cat,Apr 18 2005, 02: Wrote:I'm hoping to spend $10,000 -$15,000 range on this car so more then likely an 00 will be what I get unless I can't find a ZX3 with all the recalls dealt with.
[right][snapback]102392[/snapback][/right]
i got my 02 zx5 fully loaded for 16000 taxes in. and it only had 25000 kms

edit**that was 5 months ago
You shouldnt have a problem finding a 02 zx3 /zx5 in that price range.

I'll sell you a turbo 00 ZX3 for 15K? :huh:
Big-Cat,Apr 18 2005, 06: Wrote:I'm hoping to spend $10,000 -$15,000 range on this car so more then likely an 00 will be what I get unless I can't find a ZX3 with all the recalls dealt with.
[right][snapback]102392[/snapback][/right]

For $15k, you can almost get a used SVT...

As for ZX3, if the recall is up to date get a early 00. 00 have better intake and better interior.
Can you explain that one to me. Whats the difference between a 2000 and the newer ones? Thanks

DRyanC
Welcome!

If I did it up again, I'd go 03/04 ZX3 for sure.

There hasn't been any really glaring problems with my 01 SE Sedan since I got it (just as a counter-point to the hatches), and the fuel pump recall was done the day I got it.

Nice power bumps from my minor mods make it even more driveable, and the handling kicks ass for a sedan.

Go ZX3 unless you really need the room (like me).
thats $10,000 to $15,000 canadian by the way. Thats my price range so of corse I rather be in the lower end to give myself less time paying off the loan.
hop on autotrader.ca they have tons of foci on there, and theres only maybe 10 outside of 15 gs in the whole province.
Focus Is Art,Apr 18 2005, 03:11 PM Wrote:As for ZX3, if the recall is up to date get a early 00.  00 have better intake and better interior.
[right][snapback]102414[/snapback][/right]

Can someone clarify this for me?
Thats the plan come early July just want to get some background so I can spot the s**t that will cost me $$$ to repair if its messed up. such as 3 cv joints, sway bar bushings, water pump, tranny(still needs to be replaced), warped brake rotor, etc. cost me an ass load on the dsm. bought the car for $7,000ish and dumped another $5,000 -$6,000 on all the messed up stuff on the car. Don't wanna make the mistake of buying another car uninformed again I know to check tranny, clutch, take it in to get checked for rust under the car and such. But besides the generic stuff the car specific stuff like leaks in certain areas, signs of hard driving, etc.
DRyanC & 2000BlackZX3

More than a better intake, the 99/early 2000 foci have a better intake manifold compared to their later cousins. As far as interior benefits go, I'm not entirely sure, but it could be the cool "brushed metal" look trim accents in the doors? The cool dark grey/graphite colour? The obviously less gay seat patterns? :P

And a word of advice to Big-Cat (:hi: btw)... avoid the SPI engine... I know NOS2Go4Me is convinced his car is so great, and that he has had significant power gains from a K&N air filter, but believe me, the SPI sucks. If you're not going SVT, splurge the extra couple pennies and get a Zetec.

(Just picking on ya NOS)
Pages: 1 2