FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Test Drove An Ecoboost...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Like the header says, I recently test drove a 2010 Ecoboost Flex AWD Limited. I ended up test driving it with my parents (they were up in Ottawa visiting us during march break) having to have my oil changed the 2nd time that day at the dealership (the kid that did it replaced my Synthetic oil with bulk 5W-20 Conventional oil, and they had to switch it out with synthetic again).

Anyways, for a car that weighs 2+ tonnes, it handles, corners, and rides extremely well. The car was so new, that I could smell the assembly lube on the exhaust and other parts burning off when we brought it back to the lot (no, this wasn't the engine burning oil). The driveline...AWESOME! The car is extremely quick, almost fast actually (and this was with the TCS engaged, and using less than 3/4 throttle too). It pulls through the first 3 gears very quickly, and I like the fact that they engineered the engine and tranny to have rev matching while the wastegates dump the boost between gear changes.

The interior was gorgeous, amazing leather seating, tons of room, and every creature comfort you could ever want. Only thing is, the car is $55K fully loaded. At least I could save $5K removing the Vista roof, rear fridge and Nav system (all of which I wouldn't want).

Anyways, I'm VERY impressed, and so wanting to have one!
Yeah the Flex Ecoboost AWD is a tonne of fun (both literally and figuratively) and can hustle.

$55K? That's reduced from what I was quoted last year at the SVTOA track day which was $62K for the Flex Ecoboost that was embarrassing Mustangs :D

NefCanuck
This sounds almost too good. I must go and test drive one myself.
Thanks for a review.
I took it on a mixed drive at lower speeds, and a few quick bursts upto 100 km's/hr, on both smooth pavement, and rough pavement. It tracks and corners very well, and it goes exactly where you point it...even more so when you apply the throttle exiting a corner (like the roundabout on Prince of Wales). The electric power steering feels kinda artificial, meaning, there's not as much force feedback in your hands like there is with a conventional hydraulic system. The steering does however make up for this by giving you seemingly more precise control, and it doesn't feel like it would be out of adjustment either.

The car makes fast and easy lane changes, and you can make both left and right hand turns rather briskly, without much effort. Basically, the car steers and handles like something smaller and lighter than it is.

As far as the brakes go, I couldn't use them very hard, as the car had less than 50 km's on it and I didn't want to damage them. What I did notice though, is that they aren't mushy feeling, the pedal feels nice and firm under your foot, even without the brakes being broken in or warmed up either.

The ride of the car is very much like a Euro Ford...it's taught, but not bone jarring...firm, but still comfortable. It'd be fantastic to ride in on long highway trips, but still has a sporty enough feel to it as to not be bored to death.

As I mentioned before, the torque of the engine is effortless, and I think that it benefits greatly from sending that power to all 4 corners when it has to, making the vehicle feel even more sure-footed. I can see this engine, once broken in, being a lot like the engine in the S197 Mustang...it won't matter what rpm or gear you are in, the engine just doesn't run out of breath.

If I was to buy one of these cars, I'd get the Ecoboost AWD, in either the Limited, or the SEL. I'd get it with HID's, the larger rims, and I'd order it WITHOUT the Vista roof and WITHOUT the Touchscreen Nav system...the regular Sync system would be just fine. I'd also get it with 2 rows of captains chairs, WITHOUT the fridge in the back.

Speaking of the back, with the 2nd row of seats folded forward, it's not uncomfortable or complicated to reach the 3rd row seating, and I can actually fit in the back row with decent space. Headroom, shoulder room, and kneespace in the front seats and 2nd row is fantastic.

The salesman said that people usually don't buy the Ecoboost Flex, because they suffer from "Sticker Shock" when they see figures above $50K, and they go for the regular SEL's or Limiteds. I think what people need to realize, is that if you want a luxurious vehicle that seats more than 4 or 5 people, EVERYTHING you look at is going to be that expensive.

The Flex is a very competent vehicle, it's fast, it's nimble for it's size, and the interior is amazing...

If I go on tour to Afghanistan again, I might come home and look at one. Just gotta go see if we like it better than a GMC Acadia/Chevy Traverse/Buick Enclave first (wife loves the looks and design of these vehicles).

L8tz
for 5k the vistaroof, nav and the FRIDGE!!!!!! are worth it imo lol.
the AWD is going to be the best part of your winters, let me say.

Ecoboost only makes the AWD more fun :D
Spinal,Mar 27 2010, 10:56 AM Wrote:for 5k the vistaroof, nav and the FRIDGE!!!!!! are worth it imo lol.
[right][snapback]303990[/snapback][/right]

Yaa I agree the vista roof is easy 2g's and the nav is prob around 3.5 so ur getting a fridge for free lol
Maybe things have changed but when I took one out in the fall the boost was only available in Canada with the Limited package. I've been waiting to see how much one would cost as a CAP unit from Ford headquarters (executive leased for about 6 months).
But now the boss tells me she thinks they are too big and wants to know if the 305hp 3.7L will be in the new Edge or just the MKX.
Her '04 ZTW with 80k is looking better after each paycheque.
NefCanuck,Mar 26 2010, 11:40 PM Wrote:$55K?  That's reduced from what I was quoted last year at the SVTOA track day which was $62K for the Flex Ecoboost that was embarrassing Mustangs :D
That's not the white one Ted from Dixie Ford took off the used lot and beat the s*** out of at the track and then put it back on the used lot is it? I don't think that was a boost. That guy is a real piece of work.

Did someone else bring one with boost?
CanadaSVT,Mar 31 2010, 09:42 AM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Mar 26 2010, 11:40 PM Wrote:$55K?  That's reduced from what I was quoted last year at the SVTOA track day which was $62K for the Flex Ecoboost that was embarrassing Mustangs :D
That's not the white one Ted from Dixie Ford took off the used lot and beat the s*** out of at the track and then put it back on the used lot is it? I don't think that was a boost. That guy is a real piece of work.

Did someone else bring one with boost?
[right][snapback]304209[/snapback][/right]

Hrm, the white one that was being used by his wife when she arrived at Mosport was a 'Boost (I got a look underhood and pictures with Ted to prove it) and it was the all singing all dancing version based on all the toys the thing had in it.

As to Ted... all I'll say is I remember The Golden Rule as in: "He who has the gold, makes the rules" Frankly I doubt any of us in his place would act all that differently :unsure:

Speaking of beating the s*** out of though. Dixie Ford is still trying to sell the red Mustang that he uses as a track car and I know he pushes that thing hard as hell.

I'd so love to get a working supercharger under the hood of the Fusion though, right now the fabricators are looking at between 300 to 325 HP and lord that would make Ted sit up and take notice :lol:

Of course I'd have to give the car to someone else to drive it hard enough at Mosport to actually make Ted sweat at all. Mario Andretti I ain't :(

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Mar 31 2010, 10:52 AM Wrote:Of course I'd have to give the car to someone else to drive it hard enough at Mosport to actually make Ted sweat at all.  Mario Andretti I ain't :(

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]304211[/snapback][/right]
I'll do you proud Daniel ... promise!
ecoboost is a hyped up word for turbo$charged ins't it? I'd rather get the genesis coupe turbo. I actually kinda regreting buying my 2007 zx3... too much creaks and odd sounds. seating position is awful. seat bolster is laughable, parts r expensive... but I will suck it for more years or so...
patrick23,Mar 31 2010, 06:21 PM Wrote:I actually kinda regreting buying my 2007 zx3... too much creaks and odd sounds. seating position is awful. seat bolster is laughable, parts r expensive... but  I will suck it for  more years or so...
[right][snapback]304228[/snapback][/right]

:lol: You should hear my car. Poly bushings squeak everywhere!
patrick23,Mar 31 2010, 05:21 PM Wrote:ecoboost is a hyped up word for turbo$charged ins't it? I'd rather get the genesis coupe turbo. I actually kinda regreting buying my 2007 zx3... too much creaks and odd sounds. seating position is awful. seat bolster is laughable, parts r expensive... but  I will suck it for  more years or so...
[right][snapback]304228[/snapback][/right]

at least someone has their eyes wide open.
You're my new hero in a way
lol
ZTWsquared,Mar 31 2010, 05:02 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Mar 31 2010, 10:52 AM Wrote:Of course I'd have to give the car to someone else to drive it hard enough at Mosport to actually make Ted sweat at all.  Mario Andretti I ain't :(

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]304211[/snapback][/right]
I'll do you proud Daniel ... promise!
[right][snapback]304227[/snapback][/right]

Ken, you come to Mosport again, I just might take you up on that ;)

But the trick is to switch drivers so Ted doesn't realize that its you hanging on his rear bumper in the twists instead of me and then switch back.

I think he'd lose his mind if he thought it was me able to do that :D

NefCanuck
I wouldn't say that the 3.5L Ecoboost is an overhyped engine...the Flex I drove was almost 2.5 tonnes, and even without the engine being broken in, it accelerated like a Mustang GT. No Joke.

It's certainly a contender when I look for my next vehicle.

L8tz