FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Stock Rsa Tires - Over Sensitive To Sloped Roads?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all

I recently put my stock Eagle RSA tires back on, and had a full alignment and balance done at the same time.

Going down a flat/level road everything is perfect. But when I get on a road that has a side to side gradient on it, the car wants to follow the gradient. For example, the "fast lane" on the 401 is sloped from right to left in many spots, with the right side being higher. This causes the car to want to go left, so I steer right to counter it. Moving into the middle lanes, which are more level, the car travels straight again without any pressure on the steering wheel.

I have noticed this before, and always thought it was an alignment or other issue. But when I put my Michelin X-Ice on for the winter the problem went away. Going back to my RSAs, the problem has returned.

I am thinking this has something to do with the fact that the tread pattern is not the some on the inside and outside edges of these tires. Any thoughts on this? Anyone else notice this behaviour? Is it just normal for these tires?

Well to begin most of us have had the RSA's and we all agree they are complete trash as far as tires are concerned.

Goodyear managed with the RSA to make a tire that has a soft compound yet does not grip anything, so what you get is a shitty tire that wears out fast.

As far as your problem goes. Are your michelin's and RSA's the same width? I notice more of what you're talking about with my summer tires because they are lower profile and are wider. If the road is sloped the car will go to the lowest side. It's physics. That's why the make sloped corners on race tracks. Don't worry about it and just keep driving.
i was gonna say this has nothing to do with the rubber... if you lean left on a bike you'll drift left. If you lean right you'll drift right. You car is on an angle, not just your tires... it's leaning left so it'll pull left...
Raine,Apr 13 2005, 07:45 PM Wrote:i was gonna say this has nothing to do with the rubber... if you lean left on a bike you'll drift left. If you lean right you'll drift right.  You car is on an angle, not just your tires... it's leaning left so it'll pull left...
[right][snapback]101399[/snapback][/right]

Guys, this makes perfect sense... BUT... why would the problem have disappeared with the Michelin X-Ice on? They were the exact same size.

I checked my tire pressure this morning and they were a bit soft, so I put a few pounds in. We'll see if this helps. (Anyone else like to keep the front tires harder than the back?)

OK here's the scoop, wider and lower profile tires like to follow the "crown" of the road, i put on x-ice as well and they are a softer and a more narrow tire which wont be as sensitive to the road. Those of you with 40 series tires probably understand this best. You hit the brakes the car may dip to the angle of the road, you my feel the car self turn into a corner. It isn't anything wrong with the car its just the wider tires